Sleeve notes and streaming/music servers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Like many people, I've ripped most of my CDs to a NAS though I don't feel comfortable selling/disposing of the actual CDs (but that isn't what I want to discuss here).

However I do miss each access to the sleeves and notes - as my CDs are in boxes and not very accessible. Particularly since I've been doing the Mott the Hoople / Ian Hunter album by album thread and want to look at the detail of each release.

Wondered how others handle this? Anyone gone to the lengths of scanning sleeves and keeping them with the music files? Or do you rely on the web - not always enough for lesser known releases. Or if you go the legal download route, do you generally get all the original sleeve notes as a PDF or similar, or does it not work like that (I very rarely purchase downloads). What about streaming services, are the sleeve notes AWOL?

(I am not talking about the front cover art; that's easy).

Tim

2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I see you got no responses so I will chime in.

I'd say most folks rely on web-based "metadata" instead of the original CD package material. You will not receive the original notes with legal downloads (just the cover art...easy to "correct" if you like). You won't receive any lyrics, either (easy to add them in batch). Personally, I do a bit of both. When I am spinning discs, I will check out the CD materials. Then sometimes I will also grab an iPad and get some web info (Wikipedia, Discogs, Artist Sites, the forum, etc.) With my aging eyes, the web is a life-saver (CD notes are notoriously tiny font). When I am mobile (sans CDs), I usually just enjoy the music and save music nerd time for home.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I wonder if any music management programs have the ability for album-level notes. I don't see this in iTunes.

3. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

I use Roon, and I scan the booklets of my "important" CD's into PDF. I prefer downloads to CDs for this reason, the PDFs are much higher quality.

Sorry for the late reply... just saw your post while looking for CD storage solutions.

Cheers!

4. Itunes downloads sometimes include pdf's of the booklets, those are on my NAS. But I've never scanned anything but front and back artwork myself.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Well, it's another reason to keep hold of physical media. Thanks.

Tim

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I had trouble with Listing personnel ,so I just entered it at the end of the song credit for it to appear on my streamer ,a lot of work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.