Sloan - fave tracks and albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw mention of Sloan on another thread and it got me wondering about them. I really like their "Between The Bridges" album. I've also picked up "Pretty Together" and "Twice Removed" from bargain bins but have yet to listen. The fact that you often saw their albums in bargain bins is a sign of their obscurity here in the UK.

I also remember two excellent tracks that appeared on CDs that came with the excellent "Comes With A Smile" mag (RIP)!

The first was the song "Pretty Together" and the second was The Russian Futurists mix of "Are You Giving Me Back My Love?" (It's on YouTube and you need to try it if you haven't!)

Please recommend your favourite tracks and albums!

2. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I'm extremely partial to Twice Removed! Penpals into I Hate My Generation is one of the best one-two punches to open album ever! Big fan of the single they just released last month, too!

Between the Bridges, as you mentioned, is another incredible album, maybe where they sound their most in-sync? Killer live band too, waiting for them to announce a show down here....

3. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

One Chord to Another is a must. My favourite by miles. You should also check out the TUNS record bassist/drummer Chris Murphy made with Mike O'Neill (Inbreds) and Matt Murphy (Superfriendz, Flashing Lights).

namlook, chickendinna, Mr. D and 5 others like this.
  4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Patrick's track "Unkind" from the Double Cross (XX) album is one that I never get tired of listening to. I put that, "Motor City Maniacs" and "The Good in Everyone" in my Sloan Top 3.

5. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Came into this thread to say exactly this!

But for a late-period highlight, turn this one up LOUD:

6. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I only have the compilation A Sides Win: Singles 1992–2005.
    "The Good in Everyone", "Money City Maniacs", and "If It Feels Good Do It" are my favorites by them.

CybrKhatru and lightbulb like this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

"Underwhelmed" was the one that got me and my friends into them, although time has proven to make that entire album an anomaly in their catalogue. All of their albums have solid material and Navy Blues is probably my favorite overall, but all these decades later, "People of the Sky" is still my favorite of all their songs.

8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Twice Removed is one hell of an album. Love it from start to finish.

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

One Chord To Another is my favorite and the bonus disc Recorded Live At A Sloan Party is a must. All the albums up to Between The Bridges (including the double live disc) are very good. Never really got into the later albums.

kozy814 likes this.
  10. lamf1983

lamf1983 Forum Resident

SLOOOOAAAANNNN

So many good albums and songs, but I have to give the nod to Never Hear the End of It, which is wildly ambitious, but still has the tunes.

Also never get tired of "She Says What She Means" - still a go-to rock out song.

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

12. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I don't think they have a weak album, though I listen to Smeared way less than anything else as I prefer their later musical evolution. My favorite album may be XX, slightly ahead of Twice Removed. I thought for a band 20 years in, was a great release.

Rocketdog and kouzie like this.
  13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

The VHS collection of music videos Second Hand Views is very good.

mschrist, ElevateMeLater and Sean like this.
  14. irong

irong Forum Resident

My favorite album of theirs is Never Hear the End of It.

On this one they take kind of a Guided By Voices approach, putting 30 songs on the album, without gaps, some of normal length, some under one minute.

I also enjoy Navy Blues a lot. This one has more of a 70's power pop feel to it.

15. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

Twice Removed of course but I also really like their last two records 2011's The Double Cross and especially the "each band member gets a side" experiment Commonwealth from 2014. Nice later career surprises.

16. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

"The Rest of My Life" is a pop masterpiece.

JasonH, finslaw, CybrKhatru and 5 others like this.
  17. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I have been a fan since the Peppermint EP. the first four albums were a wild ride. Smeared was awesome just because of Underwhelmed, but the My Bloody Valentine influence makes this one sound dated. There are some keepers on this one especially 500 Up which drummer Andrew, despite writing it, was too shy to sing except for a few lines. In return we get three of the band singing on this powerhouse of a tune.

On Twice Removed they came into their own, creating a unique sound bridging a cleaner alt rock sound with 60s pop. Even though Patrick finds some of his material too dour, I think every song on here is killer. Andrew’s epic Before I Do remains my favourite Sloan song, but most fans hate it.

Then they broke up, and we all thought it was over. Then a glimmer of hope with an awesome homemade 7”: Stood Up/Same Old Flame. That leads to One Chord to Another which leaves the 90s sound behind and gives a good garage rock sound mixed with their love for 60s pop. Every song is great. Especially Pat's rocker The Good in Everyone. And Chris’ flawless G Turns to D.

Navy Blues brought a 70s rock element to the mix. Andrew pushed the boat out by adding more piano and tape splicing. I find the production a bit amateurish in this one. Not terrible but they were finding their way as an indie band. Money City Maniacs is their biggest hit.

Between the Bridges perfects what they started on Navy Blues. Great 70s rock vibe.

Pretty Together wasn’t well received but I love it. Andrew’s three songs are epic.

Action Pact was a last effort at a commercial breakthrough. Big LA producer, all rock songs, less diversity. Not my fave.

Since then, I’ve loved all of their albums. Chris has embraced some 80s sounds, and they really allow each member to do what they want.

I especially love Commonwealth. Andrew’s side is magnificent turned up loud.

Part of the fun is learning each member’s sound. Andrew is the oddball and my fave. Chris is the witty wordsmith. Jay the 70s am magic maker. And Patrick the rocker who can also churn out a love song.

18. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

Between the Bridges is probably my favorite but Twice Removed and One Chord are also excellent. Too many great songs to mention although 500 Up may be my favorite.

jalexander likes this.
  19. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

Dang it. Navy Blues is awesome too

20. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Twice Removed has a special spot for me, for both personal and circumstantial reasons - but Between the Bridges is probably the best album, quality-wise imo.

21. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Twice Removed through Navy Blues are essential. An incredible four album run of top notch quality and diversity. They were covering and breaking ground at the same time.

Never Hear The End Of It, The Double Cross, and Commonwealth are worthy follow ups and show their remarkable consistency over the years.

Four singers and songwriters make for a very potent catalog, and more to come in about a month.

22. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Ha, I meant to include Between the Bridges there as well.

marc with a c likes this.
  23. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Navy Blues is my favorite Sloan album

24. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I'm really excited about the new Sloan album having heard the first four advance tracks, one by each member of the band. But Chris Murphy's leadoff track Spin Our Wheels is an absolute killer, one of his best ever and one of the band's.

25. captone

captone Forum Resident

Another vote for Navy Blues as their best album

Some favourite tracks:
    Coax Me
    G Turns To D
    HFXNSHC
    I Am The Cancer
    I Can Feel It
    If It Feels Good Do It
    Losing California
    Money City Maniacs