"Slow Down", the sloppiest Beatle recording

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

No, you're forgetting the Kansas City b/w Boys single

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I picked up a nice sleeve for this single from a neighbor. He was getting rid of a box of 78's on garbage night and he says...oh, we got this Beatles picture too.

john lennonist likes this.
  3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Dunno bout that.
    John sounds pretty darn energetic on official release.
    Think maybe give it a listen again... Mono preferred.

john lennonist likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just goes to show that it doesn't have to be tight and slick in order to be great.
    By the way, this type of music is called ROCK 'N' ROLL.

Hardy Melville and Fender Relic like this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Methinks a strawman is being built here.
    Stereo
    Or
    Mono
    This track with John belting it out is pretty
    Darn good.

And the solo by George rocks.
    And is NOT the worst George solo.

The end,

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Oh man, THAT is just killer!

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Sloppy? Try Revolution 9 :D

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  8. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

"Slow Down?" Yes, it's sloppy, but dammit, this is ROCK & ROLL. :cool: A Larry Williams song, at that. The sloppiness came with the territory. Great record as far as I'm concerned.

Blue Cactus and JoeRockhead like this.
  9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

He could do Roll Over Beethoven, I Saw Her Standing There, etc... He could do very good guitar solos back then. This one just ain't.

10. jwb1231970

It is a great song, with great energy...I think upon reflection and these posts I do think it was the stereo mix that made it bad (because there is great energy all over the place), but the guitar solo I stand by, though Steve made a point that perhaps George is intimating the sax solo on the original.

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

No, no and no. OMG, I got suckered in by a troll thread. :eek:

O Don Piano and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I have always loved this song.

My opinion, file under Beatles: great rocker! :righton:

blutiga, Bern and JoeRockhead like this.
  13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

An all time great vocal.....Tight next to "don't pass me by" or "Helter Skelter".

John DeAngelis likes this.
  14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Perfect in its sloppiness.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

"Baaaaay-by" is sharp.

16. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

One thing I like about it and why I prefer earlier Beatles, and the Stones had this too, is how the song seems so effortlessly performed. It is as though they are just having a great time, giving it 100%. It has a kind of artlessness that, I guess probably inevitably, had to go in order for them to progress. But this is the music that spawned Beatlemania.

17. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

'Slow Down' is one of my favourite Beatles rock-and-roll covers, if not one of their most authentic immersions into rock-and-roll in the studio, alongside 'Twist and Shout', 'Rock and Roll Music', 'Money (That's What I Want)', 'Long Tall Sally'/'I'm Down', and their own original 'She's A Woman', lacking their quintessential pop-harmonisation stylings, any noticeable English vocal inflections, etc. 'Sloppiness' aside, it is one of the band's 'few' pure rock-and-roll interpretations other than the BBC Sessions and other earlier non-album/single recordings, as most of The Beatles' covers were of songs that can more accurately be characterised as R&B, girl group, soul, rockabilly, selections from musicals, or generally softer-rock and roll songs (i.e. 'Words of Love').

Sloppiness and hasty recording, aside, I've always loved 'Slow Down' and its inclusion, along with 'Matchbox' (its US 45's companion), on Capitol Records' Something New album alongside the A Hard Day's Night UK LP tracks ('Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand', though...wasn't as wise of a selection). The mono mix, especially, cooks.

18. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

Is the mono on the 45 different than the mono Something New?

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Different compression ratios and EQ. Mix is the same. The mono mix tape (used for the UK EP) has a pretty bad midrange suckout. It needs work. The Capitol versions sound mo betta...

ParloFax and brianplowe like this.
  20. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

You're thinking of Battle Of Marston Moor.

marmil likes this.
  21. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Great rock n roller! So what it's sloppy

JoeRockhead likes this.
  22. jwb1231970

Read on though

bluemooze likes this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always loved Slow Down. My second favourite of their Larry Williams covers after Bad Boy, which is hands down number one IMO. Dizzy Miss Lizzie comes in at a very distant #3 and really isn't any kind of favourite. I think the Help! album would have been improved by dropping that and adding something else that was contemporary -- I'm Down or Yes It Is.

petem1966 and Bern like this.
  24. jwb1231970

I think my problem with George's solo, other than that it's a classic George first pass solo, is that there is so much energy in every other instrument and vocal then you get this clunker of a guitar part, so it's not just the technique but the composition side of it too, the solo and the song don't go together as well as they could have.

25. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Yes It Is (one of my favourite early Beatles tracks) would have been a great fit on the album, as it was on Beatles VI (save for the horrible duophonic mix used on the stereo version of the album). If The Beatles still desired closing out Help (UK) with a more rocking track, then I'm Down would have done the trick, and presumably better than Dizzy Miss Lizzie. It seems I'm Down wasn't particularly favoured for LP inclusion (possibly due to its basis upon Long Tall Sally?), although the band often performed it live throughout '65-'66. Capitol Records never even placed it on any of their '60s Beatles studio records, albeit including both Yes It Is and Bad Boy on Beatles VI (the latter of which was also released in LP format in the UK on A Collection of Beatles Oldies, oddly enough, in 1966).

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.