Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

30 million records? Really?!?! That seems like an awful lot...

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pretty sure that’s not right

3. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

A tenth of that... maybe? But even that sounds too much IMO. :confused:

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Maybe they mean from 1965 until now.

With all of the original releases, reissues, compilations, reissued compilations, compiled reissues of reissues... :)

Mark

5. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

For everyone who ordered from the publisher in France I can confirm that postage is free and the book with CDs are usually shipped within seven days of the order being made. I spoke with them today.

Has anyone actually received the book from Les Presses Du Midi?

RockRoom likes this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just ordered using the link. Thanks to all as it is worth a punt. Hard work though. Not available via Amazon yet but who knows. Amazon stated a date of 25th January for publication.

7. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I ordered on the 23rd and received the book + CDs this morning. Quick clarification, it’s not a soundboard but rather was recorded with room mics

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

How much for the book in US dollars?

9. marmalade166

Whatever 28 euros is in US dollars when you pull the trigger I guess...

10. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

$35

11. marmalade166

Here's the blurb in the book about the CDs

[​IMG]Smalls info

12. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Yeah having heard it myself now, it's certainly not a soundboard. It is very good though, and the vocals are clear throughout - I'd say the second set sounds slightly better than the first, but it's a very close thing. As you might expect from a tape of this vintage there are some rough edges (occasional volume fluctuations and muffled passages), but it's nothing too distressing. The performances throughout are outstanding (especially considering that Mac hadn't been with them long at this point), and that more than makes up for any other issues. Steve is quite cheeky with the audience in places. The titles are 'fluid' shall we say, there are plenty of musical diversions in there, some more brief than others.

So to summarise, musically they're on fire on this, no lie. Hopefully one day before I'm dead something else this wonderful will turn up from 67-69...

I think the new Autumn Stone is going to be even more of a disappointment after discovering this, I'm afraid.

13. Surferghost

In other news, the Ronnie Lane box is set to be 6 CDs (four solo albums, the rest is 'rarities' - no further details) in a 10" slipcase with a 72-page hardback book and a lyric book. No release date yet, but some time this year.

I don't imagine that's going to be cheap.

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This is the one it’s all about. Ronnie’s best solo lp IMHO.
    Anymore for Anymore 1974
    [​IMG]
    Not a weak track on it.

15. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

So true.

RockRoom and Stu02 like this.
  16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My confirmation email has my USA address under Billing Address.

When I first placed the order there was a France address on the address screen - I assumed that was just an example. I clicked on that and a form showed for me to enter my true address.

RockRoom likes this.
  17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I asked about shipping charges for my order of the "Smalls" Book/CD. Just got the following email:

Hello,
    We do not charge shipping costs.
    Thank you.

18. Surferghost

Back to The Autumn Stone, Amazon pre-order links were up for this a few weeks ago. The UK one has since gone dormant (and even while it was active it said "import", which set my teeth on edge).
    Here's the US one if you're so inclined:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y2T8PY/

I do hope that the UK link going dormant and remaining an 'import' doesn't mean I'm going to be forced to buy Autumn Stone from another country at an inflated cost, AGAIN, like I had to do with the Nice box.

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

It was the same for the Ogdens but it ended up on amazon

Surferghost likes this.
  20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Interestingly, the Amazon US listing also says "Import" which for a release such as this I'd usually assume to mean coming from the UK.

I'm just sorta hoping that since it's only 2 discs now, it will be in the same size "book" as the 3 from last year to match my others.

Mark

Surferghost likes this.
  21. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

marc roberty likes this.
  22. marmalade166

Final track from the gig on Sunday 9th January 1966 in Mouscron Belgium

23. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

This reminds me of Led Zeppelin. Amazing they were this "heavy" back in 1966.

Surferghost and RockRoom like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fantastic. The Who and Small Faces were sure influencing one another around then. Love it.

Hep Alien, Surferghost and peachyg72 like this.
  25. Surferghost

A bit more info about the Ronnie Lane box set from Rupert Williams (producer/director of The Passing Show documentary) via the 'Groping' facebook page:

"All 4 Slim Chance albums, rough mix and Mahoney's plus some Austin stuff live material and some unheard gems, great artist in Phil Smee doing it, I visited him a few weeks ago and gave him some stuff to use. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this what I've heard is great, it's been a battle but Universal have seen sense and allowed input from the Slim Chance camp. Some of this has gone out before but not from the masters, a real pro in Jon Astley is remixing it all, he worked on Rough Mix. One thing is for certain and that is that it ain't going to be called "Horse and Trouser" a daft title, Ronnie deserves better than that... I'm guessing they'll knock this out around the 60 quid mark.We're also on their case about not ****ing up the sleeve notes again,hopefully going to be a few different writers including band members"

Rupert Williams isn't directly involved as you might gather from the above, but it's the nearest we have to anything official so far.

So Mahoney's and Rough Mix are part of the package, which means the 6 CDs hinted at earlier will be filled up fairly sharpish. Let's hope that the rarities will be attached to their relevant albums/time period, rather than two albums clumsily stuck together on each CD and a separate disc of rarities and live material. Jon Astley's attachment to the project might give some readers cause for concern if they're not a fan of his work on The Who's catalogue (I'm ambivalent about that personally).