Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Ouch! You know how to kick Surferghost when he's down!! :laugh:

Surferghost likes this.
  2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

He’s fine... he’s moved on to Viv Stanshall and the Who :edthumbs:

marmalade166 and Surferghost like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Let's not forget the insane amount of time he had to answer to the Monkees fanatics (myself included).

4. Munros1969

For anyone interested in the Humble Pie RSD release please see here. Talk about limited distribution... this is only available at a single store. However, they do take online orders. I’ve got my order in.

Surprise Humble Pie RSD release available in just one record shop | superdeluxeedition

andybeau likes this.
  5. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Munros1969 likes this.
  6. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I know it's supposedly remastered to sub-atomic level and so on, but I think I'll pass on that Pie release. Seems like there's only one unique track on there, and I find that song a bit so-so, personally. I'm assuming Shaky Jake is the same as the old Anthology bonus cut, so I've already got that anyway. Now, if there had been a different version of Wrist Job and/or Bang, that would be another story...

Some odd song choices, too. Stick Shift, Cold Lady, Only You Can See and Ollie Ollie, but no I'll Go Alone, Buttermilk Boy, Home And Away or Down Home Again (the definitive Marriott Pie track, I reckon) ? Still, if Peter and Jerry are happy with it. Hopefully this is just the first salvo in a full HP Immediate catalogue reissue programme, though, coming our way by 2030 probably (sorry, but it's got to a point where I just can't stop myself, now :) ).

Reports from those who do buy it gratefully received, though. I'm intrigued to know how this sounds.

Hep Alien and Munros1969 like this.
  7. Munros1969

Just imagine how many Small Faces and Humble Pie releases Mr. Caiger and co will be able to tease us with between now and 2030..!!

marmalade166 and Surferghost like this.
  8. Surferghost

And knowing my luck, I'll probably live that long. :(

Uh, no wait, what am I saying, I mean :)

9. Munros1969

Got to hold on until the Autumn Stone reissue appears, which could easily take you well beyond 2030 at thus rate...

Surferghost likes this.
  10. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

Mark Wilson likes this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Let’s hope it stays this date...

marmalade166 likes this.
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

A little OT, but I finally picked up the “Decca Years” Box and listened to “Small Faces” and “From The Beginning”. The only Decca material I’d heard previously was Disc 1 from the “Small Faces Deluxe Edition”.

I haven’t done a real A/B comparison, but from memory this seems a real improvement. I actually enjoyed the album much more this time, and I have to attribute that to hearing it more properly. I liked it okay before, but found it kinda harsh and average sounding, and chalked it up to being their first album and a not-so-great mono recording. But this time I really got into it and it seemed like an entirely different album, mainly because I could identify more going on with it than before. Amazing what a difference that could make. It’s still one of the rougher sounding mono recordings I’ve heard, but it sounds like an album now. Anxious to hear the bonus discs.

At a quick glance, am I right in thinking there’s nothing unique on Disc 1 that isn’t somewhere on the other 4? The run times seem to match up in most cases.

Well, that took less time to type than expected. I’d hoped it would be September by now.

Mark

Surferghost likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I still need to get that set. Been hoping the price would drop but it’s holding steady

14. Mark Wilson

Yeah, I waited awhile and then pulled the trigger worrying it would go OOP.

Love your avatar by the way. Just received the Winds Of Change/The Twain Shall Meet BGO set 2 days ago and hope to listen in the next few days.

Mark

Surferghost and aoxomoxoa like this.
  15. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It's worth it. Trust us.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Oh I'm sure it is. It will be mine soon enough :righton:

17. Surferghost

Amazon.com have had Autumn Stone listed for that Sept 28th date since March, so it could stick.

Amazon.UK's link for the 2018 edition however has it listed as "available from these sellers from £10.15", the lying *****.
    (that's an old edition that it's misleading unwary buyers into purchasing)

18. Surferghost

+ 10

19. Surferghost

Marvellous stuff, especially if it's got stray B-side 'Gratefully Dead' on it.

Eric's 'peace and love' period musings stay just the right side of entertainingly cheesy throughout those New Animals albums. Well... maybe the final album 'Love Is' pushes it a bit, but it makes up for it by having Andy Summers and Zoot Money playing on it. Look out for the middle album 'Every One Of Us' if you want to hear them get slightly proto-proggier (not to mention a soopoib version of St James Infirmary).

<cough-oh yeah small faces thread-cough>

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Hep Alien and andybeau like this.
  20. Mark Wilson

Well, to bring it back around I listened to the Immediate S/T today, and it occurred to me that portions of "Eddie's Dreaming" resemble some of Eric's subsequent work with WAR. The prominent flute and island rhythms I think during the little instrumental interlude.

Mark

Surferghost likes this.
  21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have no idea.

marmalade166 likes this.
  24. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

culabula likes this.
  25. Surferghost

Could easily be any, all, or none of the above.

JPC.de has August the 3rd as the release date:

Small Faces: Ogdens Nut Gone Flake (LP) – jpc
    Small Faces: Ogdens Nut Gone Flake (CD) – jpc

No details about the supposed 3CD/1DVD 'Super Deluxe' edition anywhere.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see a reliable detailed listing with photos and tracklist, and that anywhere but Amazon. Same goes for Autumn Stone. I'm also done putting money aside for these releases. If they happen and they're interesting enough and I can afford them while they're there, I'll most likely get them, but right now my enthusiasm for them is set to minus ten, and there's more than enough other stuff for me to buy.