Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Why do people think record companies owe us anything? They’ll release it if and when they are ready.

e.s. likes this.
  2. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I do! I'm holding out for a 1968-71 live collection (there's just about enough in existence for a CD or so - there's another few tracks from the Paradiso show sampled on that box, at the very least) or yet even more demos!

3. Surferghost

I'm starting to bore myself with this now, but, it has been 'actually announced' a number of times. The first occasion was in the book included in the Nice box, which promised it would be available at the end of 2014. Most recently there was a Shindig article a few months ago making a fanfare for the supposed April-that-turned-to-May-that-turned-to-June release. And Rob Caiger (who you might imagine would know) constantly pimps it (or if you'd rather makes a continual 'big deal of it') on his twitter feed. There have been many 'definitely this time, honestly' release dates that quietly ignore the earlier ones promised - September this year is merely the latest in a long line of them. Rest assured that any anger or apathy about all this among die-hard fans (who've been kept waiting years for this now) is reasonably justified by this point.

It's not the actual wait though, is it - it's the continual promise of delivery that continually amounts to nothing. As I've said before, rightly or wrongly Rob Caiger is bearing the brunt of any exasperation because he's the one making most of the announcements. I suppose the logical solution is to stop reading those announcements, which as a Small Faces fanatic I'll probably definitely get around to thinking about doing, after I've successfully kicked sugar, cigarettes, booze, heroin and women.

Compare and contrast Rob's Big Deal with The Who's recent Fillmore release. No hype or even an announcement about that until about two months before release; it was delayed a grand total of once, for three weeks, and then it was released on time with no fuss whatsoever.

Or how about a more appropriate example? The proposed Faces remasters from 2007 - finished, announced, suddenly withdrawn, silence. Finally released as a box set seven years later - but during those seven years, the silence remained unbroken. When they finally did arrive, it was with such little hype that it was almost a lovely surprise. Now imagine instead of maintaining a dignified silence until they could sort out whatever issues were causing the delay, you had someone intimately connected to the project announce: "Hey guys! These are definitely on the way soon! They're great! You'll Love them!" once a month, for seven years. You might end up getting a little ticked off with that person at some point along the way.

We're not too far away from that hypothetical situation with the reality surrounding these Small Faces releases.

Disclaimer: Addictions listed for illustrative purposes only. I do not actually smoke cigarettes or Chase The Horse.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, if I was Rob Caiger, I'd make it a point not to post here again.

As stated earlier, we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

5. Surferghost

Well no, but I don't think anyone on this thread has ever realistically claimed that they have.

As stated earlier (and in quite tedious detail), the delay itself isn't actually the source of my displeasure. And I don't seem to be alone in that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If you understand that something outside our knowledge might have happened to prevent these things from coming out as planned, then it looks like you could understand that none of those plans were made with the intent of delays. Obviously, when the "coming soon" blurbs were included in the CD box set and on the RSD singles, the plan was to release the album then. Something clearly happened, and while it would have been nice if Caiger or someone from Charly could have explained the causes behind the delays, it's ultimately nobody's business but theirs.

And I would imagine Caiger himself is somewhat frustrated – he's just a hired hand after all, so it's entirely likely he thinks these releases are coming out right up until the point they don't. Like I said – we have no idea what is going on being the scenes.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  7. Surferghost

Well as I've said (although in fairness it seems like I edited/clarified this point after you'd read my post and were writing your own), the delay itself isn't really the problem for me.

I don't necessarily doubt that, which is why I said 'rightly or wrongly' he's bearing the brunt of criticism over it. He has a PR tightrope to walk, probably, in keeping interest alive in the face of these continued delays - although how much of his effort in that regard is self-appointed, I don't know. Unfortunately that does nothing to alleviate anyone's exasperation over it, and his constant teasing (which is what it inarguably is) on twitter only exacerbates the situation. I'll concede that it could be a classic case of the messenger getting shot, but at the same time he does himself no favours by supplying at least some of the ammunition through always promising more than he can deliver (5/6 CDs becomes 4, 4 CDs becomes 3, most of those 'new' songs are actually just old ones hiding behind working titles, etc). Of course, what he is able to ultimately deliver may well be beyond his control, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the one who is seen to be making the claims to begin with.

I don't necessarily share the opinion of some in this thread that his work in itself is problematic, by the way - while some of his production choices have been admittedly questionable, I think that overall he's done a good job supervising production on both the Decca and in particular the Immediate boxes. I can't really comment on any of his other work or his ability to meet deadlines in general, however, as I'm not as familiar as others seem to be with his other projects.

As for me, venting about the situation here in the past has been cheaper than therapy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

It's also not the first time Rob Caiger has messed things up. He still owes me a Move cd I bought (10?) years ago :)

9. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Listening to the Sainsbury's Ogdens now....very nice.

andybeau likes this.
  10. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Didn’t have it in my local or the Immediate LP, but they did have The Zombies’ Odessey and Oracle even though there are supposedly 1000 fewer copies of it compared to the SF releases. Didn’t seem to be any slots for the SF LP’s so it doesn’t look like they had them and sold out.

11. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I see that Ogden’s is now slated for a July 27th release on Amazon and have seen it listed elsewhere as an ‘art of the album’ release with:

‘Vinyl cut at half speed mastering for finest audio quality at Alchemy Mastering.

New liners notes by acclaimed music journalist Jon Savage.

LP comes with 12” x 12” art print.

180g LP also contains 6 page roll fold booklet.’

There’s also a 1CD Media Book edition. Amazon have the LP priced at £31 but the other site (which I won’t link to because they’re notoriously bad traders) has it at £20.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I purchased this yesterday it’s cut slightly louder than the 2012 mono. It’s nice to have a Stereo too on red vinyl that did not cost much. I agree it’s a nice listen. It does not bother me that it comes with the incorrect cover etc.... so much easier to deal with, plus I have a full fold out mono anyway. Sainsbury’s are pretty good for music, I got The Doors complete studio albums for £13 & Clapton Life in 12 Bars soundtrack for £10 - CD sets.

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

14. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A quote from Kenney Jones about Ogden's in this article

This is The Small Faces’ Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake, released in 1968 and listed in 2004 among the greatest rock albums ever. When we finished it we all thought, ‘How do we follow this?’

We wanted to be recognised for our musicianship, not just as this rinkadink pop band. We couldn’t lose the teenybopper image, which drove Steve Marriott nuts.

He left in 1969, then Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood joined and we became The Faces – thanks to them being taller than us we were no longer all small! For the album’s 50th anniversary we’re releasing a special edition and I’m doing a full-length animation film of it.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Clock is ticking ...

KinkySmallFace1991 and andybeau like this.
  16. Link for the media book, can’t seem to find it.

17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen...

The Autumn Stone follows Ogdens’ a month later. The CD version will be available as a limited edition EarBook and will showcase Tony Gale’s photo archive, covering the band from their childhood through to the Autumn... thought this was a nice way to wrap up the story..

Rob Caiger on Twitter

Hep Alien, Bonddm and Surferghost like this.
  18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

What exactly is an EarBook? Is it like the digipak/book format that the 2017 (?) S/T, Ogdens & There Are... releases came in?

Would be nice as I have all 3 of those.

Mark

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  19. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Oh ffs.......

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This was advertised as an ear book. Marillion and Pineapple Thief deluxe editions also qualify.
    [​IMG]

Mark Wilson likes this.
  21. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Ha! He wanted to say a YEAR later probably

Surferghost and marmalade166 like this.
  22. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

While waiting (im)paitiently for Autumn Stone reissue, I nabbed the original Charly pressing of The first Immediate album, Greatest Hits 1967-1969 and the 2017 reissue of Ogden’s all on vinyl. What a band. Say what you want about Caiger, but the fact these albums are all AAA in mono from the original tapes are aces in my book!
    [​IMG]

btltez, Gavaxeman, e.s. and 1 other person like this.
  23. Surferghost

Just in time to clash with VGPS, and possibly ThemBeatles Product. Typical.

Well, y'know, if it happens.

Edit: And on the same day as the Action box. :realmad:

Mark Wilson likes this.
  24. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

That one I'm quite excited about. Looking forward to all of them but that one especially.

Mark

Surferghost and Electric Sydney like this.
  25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

If they release autumn stone as an ear book they must release the second Small Faces album in the same format.
    My shelves need symmetry