Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

You Need Lovin'
    Song of a Baker
    Long Black Veil
    Every Little Bit Hurts
    All or Nothing
    Tin Soldier
    Lazy Sunday

Occasionally, "Rollin' Over" would be thrown into the set.

2. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Further Setlist Detail: You Need Loving would often also contain elements of Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am (and Humble Pie would also include it in very early performances of Walk On Gilded Splinters). If you go back a few pages, there's a YouTube link to a listenable capture of the Vienna gig where you can hear it.

Aah, but it's been crushed at half-speed, and that makes all the difference!

Hep Alien and Munros1969 like this.
  3. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Very cool - thanks!!

4. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I often wonder, if the band had continued and had kept You Need Lovin' in their set (and there's no reason to think they wouldn't as their usual short set would most likely have expanded greatly after 1969), what impact that might have had on the composition of Whole Lotta Love.

(I typed 'composition' there because I'm a nice guy :) )

"Where is that confounded chair?"

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  5. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Amazon canceled my Autumn Stone preorder, so who knows?

6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Pop Market still has my Autumn Stone in my purchase history for Sept 28. Guess I should write them and ask....

Electric Sydney likes this.
  7. Electric Sydney

Popmarket has had my Neu! Vinyl box set on back order for about a year, I’m not confident they’re great about communicating.

btltez likes this.
  8. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Almost a year on from this teaser by Rob Caiger, is there any update on when we will see this? I almost hate to ask... fully appreciating the frustration, mine included, regarding the constant delays on this release.

When I see the increasingly huge range of big sets coming out before the end of 2018 I struggle to appreciate the continued delay on this, given how advanced it seemed (and was clearly portrayed) to be. I do fear that by the time it finally appears there will be so little interest it’ll be a real non-event.

I appreciate there are doubtless legal issues with the recordings which makes this type,of release challenging however, whatever the reasons, the Small Faces deserve way better than this.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  9. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I’d love to see this set issued. Starting to have doubts though.

In the meantime, I was listening to “The Autumn Stone” (the song) recently, and something clicked that I’d never noticed - maybe this has been obvious to many of you for a long time - to me it’s been hiding in plain sight: the acoustic guitar riff/flourish that finishes off “The Autumn Stone” is the same riff that begins The Faces song “Stone.” Note title similarity also. The riff starts at 3:31 here.

10. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

And now.... “Stone” by The Faces

11. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

That same riff starts off a song that Ronnie Lane did on Pete Townshend's Who Came First album.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Evolution, is basically the same song as Stone. Great tune.

Hep Alien, munjeet and marmalade166 like this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I got the Autumn Stone album when it originally came out when I was 15 as an import at Tower Records in SF.
    Loved the record but was kinda baffled by the title song. Didn’t really seem to have much to it or go anywhere. Was surprised it was put out as a single.
    Anyway, nice to revisit it again in your video clip.

munjeet and marmalade166 like this.
  14. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

Now I have to start buying Ronnie Lane solo albums.

Dennis Metz, aoxomoxoa and munjeet like this.
  15. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Ronnie Lane solo albums are totally worth buying. Great stuff.

16. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

As I think I stated somewhere around here, a Ronnie Lane box is my most wanted. Out of all of them coming out. I have most of the albums but a deluxe with extras and a book would be so amazing. If anyone here hasn't watched the RL documentary, you should. It's worth buying the dvd but it's on utube still I'm pretty sure.

17. Electric Sydney

Is that “The Passing Show”?

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yep! Awesome doc

Electric Sydney and ex_mixer like this.
  19. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

Apparently the official word is that Autumn Stone will follow the Ogden's 50th set that came out last week, roughly two months later. But I expect with the sheer amount of reissues between now and Christmas, they'll hold off for the actual 50th anniversary next year. Autumn Stone was apparently on track for September 28th, but they cancelled it to allow the PR campaign for the late 50th Anniversary of Ogden's. Unexpected delays with Ogden's derailed the whole project really. I can't possibly see them bringing Autumn Stone out before Christmas now, given the three months of PR that Ogden's got.

20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Cheers for the update, makes sense to delay it - makes sense for my pocket as well!

21. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. It’s too bad this release lost so much momentum in recent months. Given the big box frenzy of the coming couple of months I can’t imagine this getting too much attention sadly.

Wonder if the sales of the Odgens release justified delaying this? I can’t imagine that would have been a big seller given it’s been re-released on countless occasions previously.

22. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

I've never been so insulted when the tracklist for the 50th Anniversary of Ogden's was announced, in addition to the pricing. But then the Rolling Stones announced the 50th Anniversary of Beggars Banquet and that one really took the title of biggest rip off of all time. I'm part of a Small Faces fan club on Facebook, and everyone's been posting up their 50th sets arriving in the post, and there's far more celebration of paying extra for a copy signed by Kenny Jones than the sound quality, which was the main selling point. In fact, I haven't read a single post from anyone gushing to say how good the sound quality is. The original UK LP in stereo is an absolute knock out. It's an amazing pressing, I can't see them bettering it, other than making the new pressing on par to make it more affordable for people to experience the power and clarity of the original stereo mix, which easily fetches £150+ for a decent copy. The only observation I've had of the new release is that the 'Colour Me Pop' DVD is without doubt the best it's ever looked.

I've not bought any of the Small Faces reissues since the 2012 CDs, which didn't actually significantly improve the sound over the previous 2005 Castle/Sanctuary reissues, which packed far more punch, like the original LPs had. But they did give a fairly generous amount of bonus tracks, albeit padded out with fake stereo mixes and woeful American remixes, which aren't needed, IMO.

Having said that, due to the contractural issues with Decca and Immediate, all reissues of "Autumn Stone" use the inferior original master tapes, which had slightly doctored Decca era tracks, to somehow escape copyright issues. Apparently the new AS boxset uses the original Decca masters for the Decca era tracks for the first time ever, which will be a huge bonus - in addition to using the clean transfer of the Newcastle City Hall live tracks, before they dubbed the audience loop onto it. So for me, and doubtless most other SF fans, the Autumn Stone boxset is the only recent SF reissue that we will all rush out and buy.

23. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

my ogdens LP arrives here tomorrow. Yeah I bought the signed one. But I WON'T buy the Beggars Banquet travesty! LoL

aoxomoxoa and footlooseman like this.
  24. scooterskin

scooterskin Well-Known Member

has anybody heard any more about the release date of autumn stone?????? it's all gone quiet on hear!!!!

croquetlawns and btltez like this.
  25. Rex Marriott

Rex Marriott Well-Known Member

I read some speculation (I think it was on the thread for the 50th Anniversary Ogden's set), suggesting that it is now won't appear this year.