Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

Was at the record store yesterday and saw that Charly just reissued a vinyl Ogdens in mono—single disc dated 2017 in a standard jacket. I’m curious if it’s any different from the RSD reissues that came in a PVC jacket and a reproduction of the original sleeve.

2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

That's the bit that always gets me in knots! :agree:[/QUOTE]

A quick google (and listen again) I think this is right.

"A summer evening touches everywhere"

The Small Faces – Long Ago's And Worlds Apart Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

"Let it be good, do what you should, you know it'll work all right, Let it be good, do what you should, you know it'll be all right". Is apparently not the lyric to one of my favourite songs. It's better when you make them up for yourself.

Surferghost and OneStepBeyond like this.
  4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I thought I'd take advantage of the assembled Small Faces folk and ask if this is worth getting for the 2 or 3 exclusive bonus tracks that I don't think I have

https://burningshed.com/store/charl...lter_category_id=257&filter_sub_category=true

Is this the only place the tracks below appear?

13. Tin Soldier (Tv Backing Track) [03:21]
    14. Here Come The Nice (Usa Version) [02:46]

I already have the Immediate boxset and the 35th anniversary 2cd of the 1st Immediate album so it's only these i'm missing (I think) - are they worth the £7 the cd costs?

Hep Alien and aoxomoxoa like this.
  5. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

£7.00? No brainer, just buy it!

marmalade166, Kevin55 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

The 35th 2 CD version is the most comprehensive release of this material, there is nothing essential on the There are but Four reissue but it is a beautiful package and for £7 it's a steel.

Hep Alien, noahjld and marmalade166 like this.
  7. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Another "Don't bother trying to order this if you live in the UK, even though we're a UK retailer, because we not only hate you, but we also hate ourselves if there's money in it for us" release.
    I despise Burning Shed for doing that. If you don't want your fellow countrymen to buy it, then don't advertise the #@!!@# thing to them. If they pull this trick with Autumn Stone, then I won't buy from them again, even if they are the best place to get those XTC surround series releases.

Aaaand breathe.

Tin Soldier there is the ordinary stereo mix but it cuts out most of Marriott's vocals (on the verses) while retaining the chorus and backing vocals. Made for him to sing a live lead vocal over on Top Of The Pops (or possibly Beat Club), it's been on a few LP comps over the years listed as an 'instrumental'. Here Comes The Nice has the vocals mixed differently (possibly even a different take) and at a slightly higher speed, and there's a slowing organ fade without the piano crash at the end. That one is unique to this release I think.

I bought mine through Amazon. They'll give you 'permission' to own it, for a similar price.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Are-...r=8-1&keywords=there+are+but+four+small+faces

8. Surferghost

Oooh yes, that sounds like a contender Charlie. Solved after forty years, I reckon.

Now what should I do with the rest of my life? :)

D.B. likes this.
  9. Surferghost

While I'm here, Immediate-era Small Faces fans will not be disappointed if they check out Swedish group Tages (pronounced 'Tay-gus'):

Although the above track actually sounds more like the band July (also well worth the effort of checking out), the Tages' 1967 album 'Studio' has an awful lot in common with the Small Faces' first Immediate album, to my ears.

tages, Munros1969 and Mark Wilson like this.
  10. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I'm really curious about the tracklist for both releases!

Surferghost likes this.
  11. marmalade166

Cheers for the detailed reply regarding the bonus tracks. I must admit I'm not a big fan of this album, with all the acoustic guitar driven tracks it feels a bit too light for me :sigh: Also disappointed that they didn't pursue the great Psych feel that they had on Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow and That Man

12. Surferghost

You should definitely listen to that Tages album I mentioned earlier, then. It's a little 'poppier' in places but it also flits over to the other extreme, and there's that same 'white heat' of experimentation as the SFs early Immediate stuff (they don't bear direct comparison obviously but it's more fitting than the Beatles one that Tages always get lumbered with).

They were obviously SF fans as they did a cover or two, and there's also this from another album (the midsection of which indicates that they were also probably digging The Floyd):

Sorry. I know, I should probably just start a thread about my hunky Swedish boyfriends. But they don't get the praise they deserve, so until we get some tracklists for these Small Faces releases...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    tages and Mark Wilson like this.
  13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I want a tracklisting asap..................

14. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

More from Rob Caiger @CaigerRob on twitter:
    Release date coming tomorrow - just finalising the text for @CharlyRecs press release...
    Small Faces @roomforravers
    A new improved, remastered 3-disc version of The Autumn Stone is due from those nice people at @CharlyRecs in March. More news when available.

Hep Alien, Mike Dow, RockRoom and 3 others like this.
  15. tages

tages Senior Member

Preach it, brother! :edthumbs::righton::thumbsup:

Surferghost likes this.
  16. marmalade166

You, Me and Us Too...

noahjld likes this.
  17. Kevin55

Mark Wilson, Ern, noahjld and 2 others like this.
  18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Fingers crossed.

19. marmalade166

noahjld, Kevin55 and Mark Wilson like this.
  20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Is it lunch yet? :)

Mark

marmalade166 likes this.
  21. Surferghost

Must be a very late lunch...

Kevin55, marmalade166 and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. Kevin55

Lunch in LA?

23. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Dinner time in England. Where does Rob reside?

Mark

24. Surferghost

ThatLondon I think.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Announcement tomorrow now innit?