Small Faces box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Charly has already used "The Immediate Years" title - on their box set from 1995 (CD IMM BOX 1). I guess the new title includes "...Boxset 1967 - 1969" tacked on to the end. Still it seems a little search-engine unfriendly.

Evidently "The Immediate Years" has been part of several Small Faces, and Marriot related projects. See the covers courtesy of Google. Someone's in a rut. lol

2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

This is the problem I'm having with this box set....I've collected a lot of Small Faces stuff over the years, and there really is only a limited amount that is "new" that's got to be out there. As far as sound quality, well I wasn't disappointed with the vinyl versions of "Ogden's" or "The Small Faces" LPs from the past year. The CD's...well I only got the "Small Faces" one and to be honest I wasn't too impressed. Here's my collection:
    sf1.jpg sf2.jpg

Fields&Lanes, Clanceman and alanb like this.
  3. mikefromlongisla

mikefromlongisla Active Member

You have to draw a line, to be sane, on these reissues.

How good is this one...it can't be THAT good, to replace what has come before.

If we let these record companies DROWN in these box sets, once in a while, it would cut down on the Con Jobs.

Money would be well spent on the original vinyl issues, NOT this junk.

4. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

I'm "complaining" about them not also including the vinyl content on any of the four CDs which I'm sure will contain enough free space.

Does deliberately leaving stuff off the otherwise supposedly comprehensive CD set indicate that it is inferior to the rest of the CD content? What would be the reason for putting it on the vinyl only, when there is five hours of CD space available?

Vinyl-only content within the same package as four CDs is alienating and unnecessary.

crozcat and apple-richard like this.
  5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Let's not have another fiasco on our hands like The Beach Boys SMiLE double album where the tracks on side 4 were NOT on the massive CD boxset.

crimpies likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm still hoping that they correct this mistake my including the stereo versions of Vegetables and Wind Chimes on the forthcoming box. Since I don't have vinyl capabilities, I am not in favor of vinyl exclusives like this.

crimpies likes this.
  7. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

^^ I'm glad you guys understand :righton:

8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, but the box is what it is. They already decided against including it in the tracklisting. This is bonus stuff, and there was no need to include it as an "extra" at all. I look at it as a good thing.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Don't you understand that's the norm for this forum? Complaining about something before we even know what the content is. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the favorite catch phrase "a missed oppurtunity" hasn't been used yet.

Mazzy, alanb and intv7 like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I read where Kenney Jones was in the process of trying to find missing tapes. Who knows what was found. Why complain until you finally know what's included in the box.

I think using the word junk is a extreme.

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

wow cannot wait for this !

12. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

We can't really dismiss it though until someone posts a screenshot of the wave forms.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

Some months ago, Caiger said that the overlapping between the box and the deluxes would be minimal. Some sources even reduced it to 7 tracks, which would only be possible if the singles of the era were represented in the box only in mono. Although possible, I don't think that's the idea. More likely, the overlapping will consist at least in both mono & stereo versions of the singles A&B sides. That could leave us with three full cds of new material (or at least newly remastered material not in the deluxes, like The Autumn Stone songs).

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The RSD LP has GREAT dynamics and quiet vinyl. One of my better vinyl purchases in a while. Well worth $20.

aoxomoxoa, Clanceman and Tommyboy like this.
  17. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

I am looking forward to a decent set. The Ogden's outtakes that used to show up on Springboard discs attributed to Rod Stewart were fun years ago. Somebody has more!

18. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

19. apple-richard

Dammit another missed opportunity. :evil:

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. There are TWO vinyl reissues of 'There are but four' around: the US one on Varese Sarabande mentioned above AND a new UK release on Charly/Immediate - the latter replete with SF Remasters logo. These are from two new remasters: the UK version was mastered I believe by Nick Robbins, the US LP was mastered by Steve Massie. I presume the CD reissue is the Massie remaster.

While it will be the Robbins master that appears on the box set I guess, the US version gets my vote fwiw.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

which month is the box set coming ?

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It is supposed to come out this month.

I haven't heard anything in the past few weeks about an official date yet.

23. apple-richard

It will probably come out the same week as Wings Over America of which I'm already on the hook for the deluxe box, LPs and Blu-ray.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

When is Wings Over America due to be released?

25. apple-richard

28 May, I added photos above of the RSD Small Faces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.