Small Faces box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The delay announcement is from their Facebook fan site. I'm not on Facebook (detest it), so can't post a link, but I heard about the delay from other music boards.

2. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Well for a start, Sanctuary in the UK has just been taken over by BMG, which has thrown some reissue projects into turmoil [the Kinks reissue program will possibly suffer because of it], and there's this from the Small Faces Yahoo group:
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallFaces/message/27516
    [plus replies]
    You may need to join to view them, but it's free.

Apparently the box set going to be on the Snapper label [who it must be said did a decent enough job reissuing The Pretty Things' back catalogue a few years ago], but it's NOT being officially released in the UK.

And there's this from the IMWAN forum:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtop...id=65d3c33272688f3f3eb22db77e4d86a7&start=132
    [last post]

I'm not on facebook, so maybe someone who is can confirm this.

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

From Facebook
    Coming VERY soon ..the long awaited de-luxe SMALL FACES BOX SET entitled Here Come The Nice. The package includes 4 CDs worth of rarities, out takes and the whole official Immediate catalogue as you've never heard these recordings before. Re-mastered and mixed beautifully from the original master tapes these also include lots of "work in progress" tracks complete with the band discussing what they're doing. Also a very large, glossy book covering the bands career and more including lots of rare pics. A re-pressed Olympic acetate "Mystery", An Immediate Records sampler on red vinyl, 2 replica French EPs on coloured vinyl and signed by Mac and Kenny.
    Now the silly part! This Charly records/Snapper records is a very limited edition and has worldwide release EXCEPT THE UK!! Wapping Wharf on behalf of Snapper Records will be importing a limited amount copies for sale at £125.
    To reserve a copy please send deposit of £21 by Paypal to [email protected]
    Balance payable on delivery which is expected to be before the Small Faces Convention on 14th September.

4. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

£125 for 4 CD'so_O when I'm getting 17 CD's of Harry Nilsson which include 3 CD's of outtakes for £40.I love the Small Faces but not for this price.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

But just imagine the lovely deluxe packaging!

What a disappointment. There's no way I'm paying that kind of money for a lot of stuff I already have plus some "work in progress" barrel scrapings. There seems to be a lot of this kind of nonsense going around now as record companies look for new ways to squeeze money out of the quickly shrinking music market.

Carserguev, Cousin It and crozcat like this.
  6. LandHorses

It's a UK price. I'm hoping the US price will be a little better. The Small Faces are in my top 5 favorites, so a price needs to be incredibly bad for me not to think of it.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  7. rediffusion

That's what I'm hoping. The £125 is an import price, hopefully the US domestic price will be cheaper.
    I skipped the Deluxe Editions but might have to pick this one up.

8. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I would prefer just the CDs without the big book and vinyl. I would like the vinyl, but no way am I paying that much.

9. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I doubt that it's going to cost that much in the USA

10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Forget the vinyl and the scalves , marbles etc. I just want the music !

11. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Hm. Not thrilled with that at all. £125 and a lot of hoop-jumping [if you're British like I am] for four CDs and a lot of unnecessary frills and tat? It's difficult to uphold 'Mick Nutgone' levels of orgasmic enthusiasm over that, which I suppose means I'm not a 'proper fan', even though I've loved this band for over forty years. Very disappointed indeed by this. I'll wait and see if importing it myself is any cheaper than the 'option' they're offering, I think. If not, I'll give it a miss - something I never thought I'd see myself write about a 'new' Small Faces' release.

Jim B., Beech and Carserguev like this.
  12. Further

Further Forum Resident

Is this set going to be extremely limited or what? I'm surprised this is supposedly hitting the streets in about 3 weeks and there's no info anywhere about purchasing it except for sending a deposit to someone through PayPal. Would it not make sense to put something official up somewhere to get the word out and generate some pre-sales?

13. rediffusion

I just asked John Hellier a few questions about the boxset on Facebook....

Me: Where is the box set being released? USA?

John Hellier: All over the world except the UK.

Me: Thanks John. I'm in the US so i'll pick it up over here. Can't wait to hear it!

John Hellier: Of course,. The Wapping Wharf offer is only beneficial to UK fans really. I've heard it all and it's crystal clear. You'll think they're playing in the same room as yourself!

Me: Wonderful! Is there a release date for the US?

John Hellier: I'm being told October. Hopefully it'll be on time.​

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

How they can release this everywhere BUT the UK, where the band are from, is beyond me.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  15. rediffusion

Something to do with licensing apparently, but you're quite right, it's rediculous.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yeah, Charly have rest of the world rights.

The annoying thing is (and I think I quoted the article earlier in the thread) is that one of the SF was talking about the box in a uk music mag some time ago, and was thrilled with it, and now they can't even get it released in the uk.

17. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wonder what really became the barrier in the UK.

What scares me is the description of "Crystal Clear" ......

18. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Been waiting on this release,then the price shows up.:confused:

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Has it been determined as to how much of this set is really going to be truly unreleased and rare? I was under the under the impression that there wasn't a ton of stuff outside of the Deluxe Editions.

20. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

The tracklist hasn't been revealed yet, but the information I've seen so far indicates that most of the previously unreleased tracks are alternate recordings of released songs.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Can you or someone post a link to it? What's the price?

Do you know how much of it will be unreleased/alternate recordings?

22. LandHorses

Supposedly the recording of "Be My Baby" intended for Ogden's Nut Gone Flake is going to be there.......though I heard that last year and nothing since.

Clanceman likes this.
  23. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

See post 78 ... the info is on that post.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

So I am in the UK and paid my deposit but never heard anything back......I am blithely assuming everything is OK....?

25. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

"The package includes 4 CDs worth of rarities, out takes and the whole official Immediate catalogue ..."

Uhmmm, the whole official Immediate catalogue will use at least 2 full cds, so ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.