Small Faces box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Of course you are correct. I was thinking they would just reissue it as a more budget minded set without all the extras. I still wouldn't rule that out!

2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Definitely - gorts hate that!

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I don't understand the mentality of those who bemoan a second pressing. It's a great box; why not make it available to anyone who wants it? What do those who already have it lose? And, as noted earlier, it clearly exceeded industry expectations for sales. This will only wake the labels up that people will pay for well crafted packages, but will sit on their wallets if you just give them marbles, scarves and recycled stuff.

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

And I think it pays to bear in mind that the success of this set is entirely down to its execution. Almost all of us were skeptical about its value when it was announced, and even once we found out about the tracklist (i.e. lots of alternate versions of stuff we already had multiple versions of, yet another greatest hits, those dodgy live recordings from Autumn Stone). Of course, the compilers were always promising 'best ever sound quality', but how many times have we heard that before? Basically, this box delivered way beyond what we expected, mainly because it was intelligently compiled and programmed (and documented!), it was well aware of what it was up against in the collectors' market and what recordings / versions had already been released on countless other archival compilations, it had decent quality control, and - most of all - it sounded fantastic. The moral of the story is: there will always be a market for archival stuff done right.

5. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

^
    I absolutely agree. Now we - and far more importantly from their standpoint, the record companies - know that this stuff WILL sell if executed properly.
    Hopefully the success of this set might make Warner/Rhino/whoever reconsider those expanded Faces remasters that fell at the final hurdle a few years ago [although frankly that decision was baffling even at the time, given the earlier success of the Five Guys Walk Into A Bar box].

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I hope they eventually release the Faces remasters w/bonus tracks at some point but I am not holding my breath. I would also like to see a Faces BBC box set like they did for the Kinks and Thin Lizzy.

shinedaddy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.