Small room needs surrreal sountstage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nittr, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nittr

Nittr New Member Thread Starter

I have a room of 12*14ft.. I have been looking at Psb imagine x2t... It sounded amazing .. Is it a good choice.. M very noob in this field.. But i like floorstanders more than bookshelves... My need is audio nirvana...(Dont we all [​IMG] ) .. My budget is $1500 to $2000 for speakers and amp... Will it be serious overkill for my room.. Any other better speaker suggestion?
    Thanks

2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

By my expirience good bookshelfs always sounds better in smallish room than an equally good floorstanders... and of course the stands are very, very important. Of course my expirience is not so comprehensive.

ellingtonic and Nittr like this.
  3. Nittr

Nyone using fs in small room?

4. Nittr

I have a room of 12*14ft.. I have been looking at Psb imagine x2t... It sounded amazing .. Is it a good choice.. M beginner in this field.. But i like floorstanders more than bookshelves... My need is audio nirvana...(Dont we all [​IMG] ) .. My budget is $1500 to $2000 for speakers and amp... Will it be serious overkill for my room.. Any other better speaker suggestion?

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about going floorstanders over bookshelves as long as you get ones suitable for small rooms. Those PSBs might not be, but some of it might depend on the acoustics of the room vs. just the size.

6. rockadelic

rockadelic Forum Resident

From my standpoint 12 by 14 ft is not very small. So you may have some luck in using FS speakers (depending on many factors eg; ceiling height, type of flooring, type of materials used in your wall construction, is the room over or under damped etc).
    In regards to speakers, with the budget you have, it will limit the number of choices.
    Right now, besides PSB, you may want to check out Q Acoustics 3050. If you would like to stretch your budget further you may want to check out Neat Motive SX1, GoldenEar Triton Seven Tower.
    Good luck & Good hunting!

Nittr likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't know if you are being facetious or not about the surreal soundstage. If you are serious then that requires sufficient room for the speakers away from back and side walls (at least 3 feet) and some room treatment at reflection points. Otherwise you will get distorted or flat soundstage which I assume is not what you mean by surreeal. Soundstage is easier for monitors on stands to achieve. These are midway in size between bookshelves and floorstanders.

mds likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Four speakers, one small bookshelf speaker in each corner will give you perfect soundstage if you are facing one if the two correct directions when listening in the room.

Nittr likes this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My listening room is 8 x 12 and I get excellent soundstage depth. My speakers are small-ish KEF LS50's augmented with a subwoofer. Prior to that, I used Rega R1's.

Small speakers work best in a nearfield listening environment.

In a room that small, you also really need a few acoustical panels to absorb first and second reflections, which eliminates smearing. Soundwaves bounce around a LOT in a small room. I made my own using Owens Corning 703, a few planks of wood, and some cloth from Joann. With the room properly set-up, you can get excellent imaging from even $125 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR's.

Your greatest challenge is having a room that is nearly square.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Nittr likes this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not really, he does not say if one wall has thick drapes and entire floor is carpeted. There is no way one can discern what kind of reflections will occur without knowing these other details.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. action pact

Yes, that is true.

12. Nittr

Its empty with marble flooring...
    I m planning to get a sofa , a rug , some curtains and a few fabric paintings to tackle reflections...

Mr Bass likes this.
  13. Nittr

I am looking forward to kef ls50 ... How much distance against wall it needs?
    Which amp to use?
    I read somewhere that it is very sensitive of the source i.e it needs good files else it sounds very revealing..

14. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Klipsch Heresy III would do well in that room. The speakers were designed to be placed near the wall. Easy to run. Which gives you plenty of power options.

Nittr likes this.
  15. Nittr

I wishh.... But here in india these will cost me a bomb... About $2400.. Love their vintage look

16. action pact

Mine are maybe 4' from the back walls and 2' from the side walls. You can push them further back if necessary... they come supplied with foam plugs for the rear ports.

They are very revealing. I power mine with a 28wpc Fisher 400 tube receiver, which is plenty of power for a small room like mine, considering the KEF's are not very efficient.

17. Nittr

These sure need a lot of power...
    It is all very confusing for a noob like me... I am fed up of demoing and reading about speakers all day long... I wish someone could just bring me a set already and end this search... Its been 2 months...
    M turning into a zombie

18. action pact

Yes and no. In a small-ish room, I am finding that they do OK with not much power as long as the quality of the power is good, ie: beefy transformers. They sound spectacular with my Fisher tubes, but I do not crank the volume very loud.

I have also powered them with my 75wpc solid state Yamaha CR-1020 (with recapped power section), and that sounded excellent too.

I know little about the hifi scene in India. Are there no hifi dealers in your area that would enable you to have a listen?

19. Nittr

Their are many dealers here
    • each dealers has 1-2 brands at most
    • Their is no indian brand which can compete with foreign brands
    • foriegn brands are almost twice the price at which they are offered.

Audiophiles are like 1 in 200 people.

Its a luxury only rich Can afford.

I am not that rich..
    Therefore i need a solution which lasts a lifetime

20. Nittr

Prices are high due to huge import duties and taxes..

Demoing here is easy but home demoes are out of question and once bought you better change your house if it doesn't sound good cos returning or changing here is not possible.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Have you considered active speakers? Something like the AVI DM5 would be a very nice option and within your budget too. Drop them a line and they'll help you out. You just need a source / pre and you're done. Will work very well in an NFM setup.

Downside: definitely no dealers close to you. Best check reviews or owner comments on the AVI forum.

See also KEF X300a Actives.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You should have tried to be an audiophile before the internet. That was really tough. Now there is far more info available online. You haven't mentioned what kind of music you want to listen to, or the kind of attributes you want sonically other than nirvana. Can you get used gear and are there repair places? How is the electricity where you are? Inconsistent AC will negatively impact sonics and shorten the life of components if too irregular. I think you need to write down all your requirements sonically, price wise and appearance wise and then you can search this site and others more efficiently.

royzak2000 likes this.
  23. action pact

Not that different here! :)

Nittr and Mike from NYC like this.
  24. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

That's a dream number. Audiophiles are more likely 1 in 2000 people if that many.

When I was looking at houses in the Phx area I only saw one home that had speakers of any sort and those were Klipschs surrounding a TV - that is out of more than 1000 homes I looked at online. I don't know anyone who has anything more than a sound bar or Bose radio and I've met a lot of people out here at various clubs and parties.

Audiophiles are a very rare breed and many who have extensive music collections have less than 'audiophile' equipment. Me, I'm a 'musicphile'.

Nittr likes this.
  25. Nittr

I listen to blues, rock and jazz... Ghazals too...
    I like soft vocal music.. a laid back sound with clear mids and highs..
    Used gear is not found here.. Repairs are handled by the dealers themselves from whom we buy..
    I live in an area which is consistent AC wise.. Though sometimes inconsistent during rainy season..
    I like floorstanders lookwise but can live with a bookshelf as well..
    Room is small as mentioned above but in my budget i think ishould be able to get something near to decent if not very good.

Mr Bass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.