Small room needs surrreal sountstage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nittr, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Look into acoustic treatments, goes a long way to make a room sound good/right. Non-dependent of audio gear. My portable tape/raido sounds pretty good in my room while my system sits unplugged during the hot summer months.

sean

Nittr likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

One problem with small rooms is that people are tempted to put the speakers up against the wall, which is just death for any sort of soundstage. Even with speakers that are specifically made for wall-proximity positioning. Take the British "flat earth" for example, none of the speakers approved by that group would image at all.

Nittr likes this.
  3. Nittr

Nittr New Member Thread Starter

I sure dont want my room to sound boomy at the end of the day... My goal was to get a system which gives a deep and detailed soundstage but I think i may need to settle for lot less...

4. Nittr

Nittr New Member Thread Starter

I wonder how strict audiophiles satisfy themselves in small rooms.. It ultimately becomes really challenging.

5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thanks for your reply. You will need to be careful if you like a laid back sound since most less expensive gear goes in the opposite direction. When you say bookshelf that means something different than a monitor on stands which are intermediate in size between bookshelves and floorstanders. Either monitors or floorstanders should work in your room. But you will need to listen carefully to how they handle the treble range.

I would take marginal recordings you have that are treble tilted and hear how the demo amps and speakers handle them. Do any of your dealers carry Jolida? They are a fairly good inexpensive baseline as they are not harsh or forward in the treble.

6. Chef Henry

Chef Henry Forum Resident

Namaste. Though I have not personally heard them, Sonodyne active studio monitors, designed and manufactured in India, have earned an enviable reputation among recording industry professionals all over the world. They are internally bi-amplified, so all you would need to make music is a program source. Another outstanding contender in this exciting category is Neumann's KH120, with many others to consider as well. For a noob, active monitors are the least costly route to accurate music reproduction.

Nittr likes this.
  7. texron

texron Rory On

I have a small room as well, 12x13 with no treatments due to wife approval. I have the Tekton Lore 2.0 and could not be happier. They are not for everyone, but I love them. Not sure what they would cost to get to you, but purchase price was $900.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Depends on how much you care about decor I guess, and whether or not the room has other uses. Or if there are other people besides the audiophile who get a say...

Nittr likes this.
  9. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

@texron, I've heard some other positive comments about Tekton speakers. Would you explain what you like about yours and what music sounds best through them? TIA.

10. texron

texron Rory On

I'm not good at descriptions, but I'll try. First, they sound pretty good with everything that I like. Classic rock, jazz and blues. Neil young sounds amazing. I'm guessing heavy metal would fall short. They will reveal poor recordings and bring out great recordings. Neil Young at Massey Hall sounds like he is in the room. After getting the speakers the first LP I put on was Pink Floyd Animals, this is an LP I've heard 100 times, it was like hearing it for the first time, it made me stop in my tracks. Soundstage is amazing in my little room, extends far beyond the speakers. The volume on my tube amps doesn't get beyond the 10:00 position, and I go loud at times. I sit about 9' away. Speakers are 18" from back and side walks (give or take, never really measured) I have an RP6 with Exact cart and I'm done upgrading for a LONG while, we'll, a groovertracer upgrade may be in the works. I can't recommend the Tekton enough, I laugh every time I think I only spent a grand on them.

Good luck with your search

11. ralphk

Thanks for your time and response, it sounds like we have similar tastes (I won't be listening to metal), which makes me curious to hear them. The 30 day return policy would make that fairly easy.

I don't have a tube amp but based on your experience, may move in that direction, and now I also have a good excuse to buy an RP6. Thanks again.

12. texron

texron Rory On

One thing, I'm 55 and have been to around 100 concerts, my ears ring constantly. This setup could suck for all I know. Sounds good to me. Might sound like a transistor radio through a tin can to you:laugh:

I see your in NTX, if you can wait until February you can come listen for yourself. We are in the midst of a remodel and it's not pretty.

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

One thing I might consider to increase imaging is going to a two way. I don’t have a ton of experience switching back and forth but I think a two way done really well can “free” up some clutter and get more holographic. I am sure others will disagree. At least the 2-way Totem Forests I have image really really well with a lot of focus on the mid-range (I don’t use a sub); also the move to these was from a 3-way KEF. Totem has quite a few sizes and price points that fit with smaller rooms.

14. ralphk

We're about the same age, I'm 59. My ears ring sometimes too but are still sharp overall, the tinnitus is usually worse at the end of the day. I look forward to hearing your system next year if only to satisfy my curiosity.

15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

India ... home of Rethm Audio, how far are you from Kerala? You should go check them out if possible. They are way over your budget, but you will get a good taste of what single drivers and tube amps can do.

For your sized room you should seriously consider a SET amp and high efficiency single driver speakers (plus a sub if possible). The SET/Single Driver combo gives off a very 3d holographic soundstage that I just don't hear with multi driver speakers and/or solid state amplification.

Nittr and bmoregnr like this.
  16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have a surreal soundstage. My audio room was designed by this guy:

[​IMG]

Starwanderer likes this.
  17. Nittr, please help me with some logistics and import duties questions.
    But first, based on this post and others, as well as what you listen to, may I suggest using the Klipsch RB-75 bookshelf speakers on stands.
    There is an entire line of the RB series but I suggest the RB-75 only.
    Now, back to the other stuff.
    How can we help you get speakers? What is the import tariff on new, and used, electronic equipment?
    Could I purchase a specific pair of good used speakers here in the US and ship them to you for a more reasonable price as opposed to you buying in India?
    Does being used change the import tariffs any? I know it does in other countries.
    I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy's that I would sell for much less than $2400 and I'm sure there are many others in a similar situation with various speakers on this forum.
    Are you handy and able to make things, refinish things, or repair things?
    A mechanically and electronically sound pair of quality speakers needing a bit of cosmetic refurbishing is a great way to get into something nice for less money.
    If this avenue of speaker acquisition has possibilities lets work on it a bit. If it looks good you could get with a few members here and give them specific speakers to search for on the used market and eventually send your way. I'm sure other members from other countries may be willing to help also.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

To get decent floorstanders for your space, may I suggest the Pioneer ones designed by Andrew Jones (SP-FS52-LR). Those sound great for the money. They go for around $250/pr. here in the U.S.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.