Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Gatefold sleeve with printed inners. Are these Discogs members possibly referring to the 1998 pressing? Because that had zero credits.

2. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

He is referring to the uk eu reissue, and he mentiones a satinated sheet, bet he means the one that is pasted on the back. Perhaps just a mishap then.
    Guess both pressings are identical except for pressing plants then, just two with equally bad reputations, no?

Got my US copy, but unfortunately I'm unable to play it now, (because I don't have my stereo). United pressing. They were a bit dirty, nothing bad.

SergioRZ likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else really enjoying the live disc? I can't get enough of that live arrangement of "Tear". Wow!

Pop_Zeus and Fredsy like this.
  4. Fredsy

Fredsy Forum Resident

Yes it's very good indeed, the other companion CDs of the album and the DVD are good too. I think this the most interresting reissue in CD/DVD of this campaign.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah I love disc 6 of the box set.

JeffMo likes this.
  6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Not having ever heard this before but being a fan of their older music, I picked this up on vinyl. Like the music, reminds me of Cure and New Order in their peak periods. Agree with all the others, whats up with the cheap record sleeves...have a disk washer but still this is lame. The sound is great but the sound stage is a bit narrow...was this sourced from digital? If so where are the hi rez versions? It seems they had other records with 24/96 offerings, why not for Adore? I am guessing it may have been digitally recorded (or at least mixed) originally.

dee and JeffMo like this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Those are 2 of my 3 favorite bands of all time, and one of the main reasons this is by far my favorite SP release!

Pop_Zeus and dee like this.
  8. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

The "XYU Medley" is sooooo good. Every time it comes on I'm amazed at the quality of the playing.

JeffMo likes this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm very sorry I didn't catch them on this tour.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking of making a Companion cdr like the Led Zep bonus discs, using a selection of Matt Walker Reimagined tracks, some live ones, and some demos. I probably won't use any of the mono ones!

11. xTraPlaylists

My suggestion from a playlist I made :tiphat:

1. Once In A While (CRC Demo/2014 Mix)
    2. Daphne Descends (Live/Sao Paulo)
    3. Eye (2014 Mix) :love:
    4. Crestfallen (Matt Walker Mix)
    5. Pug (Matt Walker Mix) :bdance:
    6. Tear (Live/Sao Paulo) :drool:
    7. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Live/Sao Paulo) (or Mono if you're feeling adventurous ;))
    8. Let Me Give The World To You (Adore Outtake)
    9. Saturnine (Matt Walker Mix)
    10. Cash Car Star (Matt Walker Mix)
    11. Chewing Gum (CRC Demo) :hide:
    12. Blissed And Gone (CRC Demo)
    13. Waiting (Adore Outtake)
    14. X.Y.U Medley (Live At Dodger Stadium) :evil:

12. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Slowly digesting the 6 CDs... One thing that I have learned, is that my original mono vinyl is actually a good pressing. I used to complain about some songs like Ava Adore sounding like crap on the mono vinyl. It turns out it was not the vinyl medium's fault at all, since it sounds just as muddy on the remastered mono CD too!

And BTW, I think I have overdosed on this album BADLY when it was released (that summer I used to spin it three times a day). I can't listen to it from start to finish anymore, while I still love putting MCIS on from start to finish when I have time. I still think it's a lovely album, but simply I have played it too much too frequently in that tiresome period of my life (I was gettin my engineering degree).

JeffMo and marblesmike like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'll take those under consideration and let you know what I come up with!

14. xTraPlaylists

Would love to see what you come up with!

15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Yes, just received my US pressing and entire album is clean and noise free except side B, start of track 2 - Tear with a swishing sound at the same spot for about 1minute I guess, then back to normal. I have cleaned with vacuum RCM as well as Ultra Sonic cleaner and noise still there. Will play a couple more times, otherwise Amazon can ship me a new one.

Back to the reissue itself

Completely different sound to the original MONO vinyl release, even more so than the Beatles mono v Stereo. A lot cleaner sounding, better detail in the top end and vocals and does not have the MONO huge bass of the original release. That is a good and not so good thing depending on the song. The original US mono pressing was pretty dark muddy sounding but still very enjoyable with the huge mono bass.

Overall a great reissue

God, Can't Billy do Seitgeist next on vinyl - please ??

dee likes this.
  16. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Maybe he will, but not immediately. I'm now waiting patiently for the new album(s) on vinyl.

17. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Finally got the 2lp on vinyl reissue. Wow must have got lucky considering its a United presssing. Its f'ing great. Flat, clean and very 3D sounding. beautifully pressed.

Very glad to have picked this up. IMO the last of the pumpkins golden era....run, dont walk to get this...

18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i got the vinyl too...that shiny foil cover looks beautiful....gatefold too!

i dont have anything to compare the sound to but i am very pleased with it.

19. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Tone_Boss likes this.
  20. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just grabbed this off Amazon for $18so am hoping it's worth it. Been a mixed bag of reviews so far?

21. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

That's a good deal. Weird that the reviews are mixed...I only really heard positive reviews all around. My ONLY gripe is the mastering on the bonus material is a little loud, but it could be worse. The album remaster is brilliant. Bonus material is all cool to hear too.

I forgot; a lot of fans didn't like the mix of the DVD concert...it didn't bother me.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

How rude of me to ignore you! Sorry mate.

I tried various playlists on the iPod/iPhone, and tried to give this a Jimmy Page style reinterpretation for a bonus disc. In other words, tried to keep the general running order but included songs recorded at the same time as the album. Also tried to group the live material and the Matt Walker material for better flow. This is what I ultimately settled on for a cdr:

1. To Sheila (Live)
    2. Ava Adore (Puffy Combs Remix)
    3. Perfect (No Strings Mix)
    4. Daphne Descends (Matt Walker Reinterpretation)
    5. Eye (2014)
    6. Pug (Matt Walker Reinterpretation)
    7. Saturnine (Matt Walker Reinterpretation)
    8. Crestfallen(Matt Walker Reinterpretation)
    9. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Live)
    10. Tear (Live)
    11. Shame (Live)
    12. Blank Page (Live)
    13. The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning
    14. Let Me Give The World To You

23. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Yes $18 for the vinyl surprised me a bit. Is there a download case for the bonus material?

24. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Ah, I didn't realize you meant the vinyl. $18 is a steal for that. The reissue LP is glorious and sounds fantastic. One of my favorites.

It doesn't come with a download for the album OR the bonus material as far as I remember. You can download all of it from Amazon or iTunes, or get it less than legally (though you did pay for a copy)

dee and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  25. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Adding my (late) small contribution...

I have the original CD (bought on day of release, and loved to death), the original mono vinyl, and the reissue download with all the bonus tracks.

Got the reissue vinyl today. It probably is the best of all. Wonderful mastering, lots of detail, ambience and atmosphere. Sure, the pressing doesn't look great (visible scuffs, etc), but it sounds fine. Ok, not the most silent pressing. No clicks, no pops, simply some more than evident background noise (on first play, no washing yet). But the original mono vinyl was definitely noisier. Overall, I repeat, the best sounding version anyway.

Ok, too many Adore copies in the house... Will have to move at least one to my vacation home!

pinkrudy, rbichamp, Hedin and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.