Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

"17" is extremely short (only about 16 seconds long) so its inclusion doesn't necessarily mean they would need to re-configure the original vinyl format. Of course, they still could, but you never know with Billy...

2. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

Disappointed nothing on HDTracks. Only digital source appears to be iTunes.

Anyone find the deluxe cheaper than amazon?

3. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Amazon has the cheapest I've seen.

The bonus material is LOUD

4. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Of course it is. My question is, did Howie handle the remastering/butchering of the main album or did Bob Ludwig take the reigns for this one as well? Anyone heard it yet? I've seen conflicting reports on the issue of who is doing the actual remastering but a post Howie stuck on on Facebook a while back suggested he was working on Adore as well as the bonus material so I've assumed that was the case. I need to pick up a new copy of Adore and since I have the remastered back catalogue of the Pumpkins it makes sense to buy the new remaster but if it was been f*cked over like the most recent bonus materials then I will just by a cheap copy of the original instead.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I agree that Ludwig's remastering work is definitely better than Howie's, but even Bob's mastering of the Pumpkin masterial is peak limited and compressed. The original CDs are preferred for the catalog.

6. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

I dunno, I'm of the opinion the new remasters sound pretty good, especially of Gish and Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie sounds pretty decent as well though the difference is less noticeable from the original CDs, less muddy perhaps. They are a bit louder than the originals that is true but not offensively so. I'm more than pleased with how they came out, especially considering ol' Howie here is about to demonstrate how bad they actually could have been done...

7. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

I agree with Luke. While they don't show up well on the DR charts, Gish, SD, and MCIS actually sound better to my ears than the originals. I am basing my opinion on the 24/96 versions of each though.

Oddly, but not surprisingly, the SP twitter feed is posting about Madam Zuzu's anniversary rather than Adore being released today.

Luke W and Adam Bosman like this.
  8. Adam Bosman

I think most of the reissue (albums and bonus) ARE improvements over the originals. Even the PI stuff isn't world ending bad, just really frustrating to see the poor remastering.

Welcome to the boards too!

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone get the vinyl yet?

10. cricchio

cricchio Well-Known Member

Amazon.it wrote me this morning saying my order is delayed to 9th of October . . .

11. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I have to agree, there is a lot more clarity in sound for the main albums and they are my go to versions. However, the PI bonus disc imo is hard to listen to (mastered by Howie). Digitally, I lowered the HiRes files about 4 dB but that helps just a little. Overall, this reissue campaign has been worthwhile. I was highly anticipating the Adore reissue and it's finally here after all these years. The Machina one should be good too (if it isn't marred by mastering).

12. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

yes delayed everywhere except north America.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Why do you suppose Billy sort of wasted the amazing "Eye" on the soundtrack instead of holding it back for Adore? I think with it's electronica vibe it would have fit in very nicely and made the album even stronger.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Mine is set to deliver from Amazon today. Looking forward to the packaging, it looks amazing.

15. Adam Bosman

I'm listening to the bonus material right now.

I'm sorry to report it's incredibly loud and bricked. I'd say on par w/ Pisces. Really blows as the songs are great.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Naturally...(sigh)

How's the actual remaster of the album sound? The original CD was pretty compressed if I remember correctly.

17. Adam Bosman

So I've been checking the wav forms in Audacity.

My previous comment is a little exaggerated. The songs aren't all clipped on the top end, and in fact there is some dynamic range on these (better than PI). They are still very loud. I need to listen more before passing final judgment.

The album itself is louder than the original as well, but the wav forms look very similar. In fact, other than a few parts being louder it's almost the same.

I'm not a great audiophile either, so hopefully someone else can check the DR values.

All in all the tracklist and package offset any audio problems in my opinion (after one listen). About the same mastering as Mellon Collie bonus stuff (not optimal but not terrible).

Sorry for the conflicting reports.

marblesmike likes this.
  18. Adam Bosman

I'm also confirming the following per liner notes:

Disk 1 - Bob Ludwig
    Disk 2-6 - Howie Weinberg

Luke W and marblesmike like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I don't understand or like this. Even if it meant Howie doing all six discs, I prefer a package to be similar sounding and consistent amongst the discs. Whose idea was it to break this project (and PI for that matter?) up among different teams? Billy's? The record company?

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Funny, this and Machina still seem like the new SP albums to me. Even though Adore is now 16 years old!

Probably because I haven't kept up with anything since Billy's solo album.

DHamilton likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

I don't think you've missed much. The most recent one was decent, but I'll probably check out of the reissue series after Adore.

22. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

First thing I did was pop in the DVD to rip the audio. There is no 5.1 or lossless track, only 2 channel AC3. Huge let down because the show was one of my favorite boots from the era. Then I listened to Ava Adore while checking out the wave forms. It's louder than the original, but it's not bad. I'll check out the bonus material next. Hopefully it doesn't make my ears bleed!

Adam Bosman likes this.
  23. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Disc 2, the mono version of the album, is unlistenable. Absolutely horrible mastering.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

And to think this is such a delicate and beautiful album - why would they give it to Howie?

I remember getting excited about that "Tarantula" song and it was such a let down when I heard it.

25. DreadPikathulhu

I agree. I've got the original mono album somewhere. My first needle drop ever in 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.