Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I would be pretty sure Billy will spread the tracks over the 4 sides to keep it to 20-22 minutes per side.

On Mellon Collie Billy changed the LP running order completely and spread it over from 3 lp's to 4lp's

cheers

2. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

Wait! What?! I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the youtube video uploaded over the weekend was DD 5.1. It actually sounded pretty good so I started to thinking about the deluxe.

This is so disappointing. This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Can anyone post DR log files of the discs?

4. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The original vinyl AND the CD remaster are pretty bad in Mono. I typically like to hear Mono versions, but Adore just doesn't do it for me.

5. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Yeah I have a needledrop of my vinyl as well, and yeah, the sound quality is pretty bad. I was hoping the new mono CD would be an improvement, but it's not, it's just a bad sounding mix/master.

The main album though sounds right in line with the rest of the reissue campaign. Clearer, roughly the same dynamics (all the past albums have been within 1 or 2 DR numbers, which is negligible), and in most cases (all cases for me I think?) my new go-to for the main album.

I'm not happy the bonus tracks are louder than the main album, but let's be honest, how many times will I honestly listen to the bonus tracks? A handful? They're great curiosities, and I love the live stuff, but in the end, they're not essential.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wish there had been more live material in the previous reissues.

Shame about the mono - I was looking forward to that version.

Sorry about asking about the vinyl yesterday guys. What confused me was that I got an email from Newbury Comics advertising it yesterday so I assumed it was just delayed in Europe like the cds and boxset are. I called this morning and got the Oct 7 date as posted earlier in the thread.

7. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for posting this show - watched about half last night and will resume later this evening.

I love Adore, but Billy didn't do himself or the group any favors with his obstinate stance of opening the shows with 8 new songs and then refusing to play hits like "1979" or anything from Siamese Dream.

The only other group I can recall opening a concert with 8 new songs is U2, and that was on the mega Zoo TV tour with the monumental Achtung Baby album.

9. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I agree completely. He's done this time and time again. We get it, he's a current artist.

Btw, bull mouse delivered my package today with free shipping and I only placed the order on Sunday. One tiny ding that I can live with. Now time for some adore.

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Adore Mono...DR6.

11. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Hey, I gotta say I like the main album's remaster. I think it sounds more dynamic (though I haven't checked 'the numbers' and I could be wrong), with less boomy bass than the original. This is the ONLY case in which I think I find myself prefering the remaster over the original CD.

Luke W and marblesmike like this.
  12. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Not sure about Eye but I know that Let Me Show The World To You was recorded during the Adore sessions as well and that's an incredible song - and Billy said something to the effect of having left it off the album on purpose for that very reason. He didn't want the exposure of a smash single on the album, or something.

13. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Curious to know about the vinyl - if it's worth getting the reissue or seeking out an original pressing.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

While the original mono LP isn't amazing sounding, it does sound much better than the original CD. I guess part of it depends on your setup.

Curious how the new vinyl version sounds.

15. Adam Bosman

The new pressing won't be out until October. That said; assuming the new pressing doesn't have any defects I would urge you to get that one (or at least wait until it's out).

The original Mono pressing doesn't sound very good, and is way overpriced for what you'd have to pay. The new remaster (CD) sounds really nice, so assuming the vinyl is pressed from the same master it's probably going to be a good set.

therebelsell likes this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I bought a sealed copy of the original mono vinyl a few years for ~$30.

BTW, while the vinyl has been delayed around the world, didn't the vinyl come out here in the States this week?

17. Adam Bosman

I have heard conflicting reports about the US vinyl release. Amazon still has Oct 7. I will check a local shop and get back to you.

I ordered the CD/DVD (already have OP Mono), and only had time to run in over lunch and grab it, so no browsing for me!

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Oct 7 is what Newbury Comics has said too.

I seem to recall the previous vinyl reissues in this series had some serious flaws/defects. Is that true or am I remembering wrong? I did see Siamese Dream at NC the other day and considered buying it.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Alan, I take it you have been pleased with the reissue campaign overall? Even Pisces Iscariot remaster? Have you bought the cds and vinyl reissues?
    Jeff

20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

is the new vinyl going to be mono or stereo?

21. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I have purchased all of the super deluxe boxes for each album on CD. Pisces is the only one that didn't replace my original CD in iTunes for my regular listening. All of the others I felt the remaster sounded better overall for the main albums. The remasters are clearer and EQed in a way that I like. These differences are subtle for most of the releases. I just looked up the iVolume settings for Adore 1998 and Adore 2014 and they are .3 dB in difference for overall album loudness (that's one third of a decibel). The other main albums are similar. These remasters have not been over-compressed (at least not any more than the original issues). But I do think the EQ choices, and updated processing sound better on the remasters.

The bonus material is another story of course, and most of it is loud. But most of it is also not the kind of stuff I'd listen to often even if it weren't loud. There are a few gems, but most of the tracks are just for completionists (of which I am sadly one).

Rob Hughes and JeffMo like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a completist and am happy with the original CDs. In fact I have a bit of a problem with 90s albums being remastered!

None of the bonus material on the previous reissues tempted me, but I love Adore and got the box set today.

23. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Original mono vinyl sounds good, except for Ava Adore: that song on CD has a juicier and much more controlled bass. On vinyl, the pounding drum machine is quite distorted (and it's not my turntable's fault, since I play bass-heavy stuff like Prodigy or Pet Shop Boys disco remixes with it with no distortion whatsoever).

Adam Bosman likes this.
  24. Adam Bosman

It's funny you say this, because in re-listening to the Mono CD today and Mono Vinyl last night, I found that Ava Adore is the real stinker in Mono. Sadly, as the second track it sets the mood for the rest of the disk. Songs like Behold the Night Mare sound pretty good in Mono all things considered.

Luca likes this.
  25. Adam Bosman

xTraPlaylists and therebelsell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.