Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Billy was fooling himself if he ever thought D'Arcy could even keep it together enough to even come on tour and appear each night for 'My Daydream' and a couple other vocal appearances...

And this whole bizarro "mudslinging via press" fiasco is proof that she would never have been able to play along and just do what is asked of her...

Let's be honest, it's not like she's been playing bass every day for 20 years, and my skills deteriorate after a week or so of not playing...D'Arcy was NEVER the strongest musical presence in SP; in fact, she was always the least proficient on her instrument...couple that with her attitude, which merits one word : entitled - and I can see why Billy would rather have the dude from Joy Division's son.

He wants the music to be great, no excuses.

sunking101, Hep Alien, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  2. telepicker97

She has NOT gotten over her resentments toward Billy.

ROFL

That's what this is about.

Oh, and the fact that the other 2 original Pumpkins are actual professional musicians who can be counted on to learn the setlists, play the songs accordingly, with zero resentment about the past, and actually show up to each show, every night. Which is not what D'Arcy has been for 18 years.

Billy should never have raised her hopes by even offering for D'Arcy to be there in the first place, even as a 'special guest'.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

He's a regular poster over at the Netphoria forums. Not sure if Netphoria was once an official TSP message board, but in any event it's become the most anti-Corgan site on the internet. The reaction there to this interview is that it is epic that Buchanan, aka buttcannon over at Netphoria, is a hero for getting D'arcy to spill the beans on how horrible WPC is and that she is confirming what they've all known for years about him. Any reasonable responses to the interview (IE we're only hearing one side etc) seem to be the outlier there.

4. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

haha it never was.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I really don't miss the netphoria crowd at all. I never posted there myself, but I used to lurk. Such a weird group of fans, both the Corgan worshippers and the Corgan haters there kind of creeped me out on both sides.

7. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I know the D'arcy Defense League is on DEFCON 8 right now but you might have to think about it reasonably:

1) This is most likely her own anxiety becoming a mild persecution complex. This is what she meant in her interview when she said "And I said I'm not wanted in the studio"--she's telling herself that... or more correctly, her anxiety is telling her that (this is answering your own question you asked on 5 hours ago on Netpho, btw). As you already know, she has texts with Corgan literally saying to come by, and instead she tells herself she's not wanted. This is anxiety.

2) It makes more sense for her to go to Corgan's studio to meet with him. Why? Because he's the one with his own recording and rehearsal studio in a centralized location (Chicago) and all the gear (her gear ironicaly). That's how band rehearsals work btw. We don't just bring all our shiznit to the most remote and inconvenient location imaginable and jam in a horse barn just because the bass player we haven't heard in 18 years has nothing better to do.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Jeezus, that interview...Billy is a true piece of work, no doubt, but reading that interview D'Arcy comes off as someone who has serious mental problems. If she thought that would make her look better, she's doing it wrong...

Runicen and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I hadn't lurked there in a while either, but as soon as this new D'arcy drama started, I thought to myself, "Man, I have gotta see what the folks over at Netphoria are saying!" I wasn't disappointed.

10. telepicker97

Exactly.

And besides :
    While she was all "my arm hurts, I need surgery", they recorded an album, hammered out a setlist with a lineup they KNOW will both please the hardcore audience AND have a chance of going forward after this tour...and extended an olive branch.

Then D'Arcy goes "Psych! I don't need surgery!! HOW COME I'M NOT PLAYING BASS!!?"

Ummm, yeeeeah...

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'm assuming neither your or I know her personally so statements on her objectives are conjecture - what we do know from those screencaps is something is definitely left out and what it is, neither you nor I know.

12. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

My appreciation of this band ended shortly after their breakup in 2000, and Billy's behavior since then has done nothing to endear them to me. Theirs is the most "of their time" music in my collection, as I have absolutely no interest in their music, current or classic, these days.

That said, I'm not sure how anyone can read this interview and think she should have a spot in the reunion. Whether or not she has any current substance issues, she certainly comes off as troubled. I can't imagine she would survive a tour, much less play to any capacity. It's sad, as she was sort of an icon of the 90's alternative music scene, and I agree it would be nice to see the band play with the classic line-up again, but she doesn't seem ready for something like that.

I also don't know the interviewer, and while I acknowledge the need to ingratiate one's self to the subject to get them to open up and talk, this comes across as willfully ignoring the scattered, inconsistent and outright contradictory replies she provides. I get it, it would be nice to see them play together, but her appearance here would seem to explain why anyone would think twice before including her, sad as I am to say it.

Chop, pinkrudy, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is there somewhere you can link that Billy admits to being about money? I can't imagine that solo album was a scorching earner and he, by all accounts I've heard, has kept engaging that Dylan-esque obsession with playing some shows that are just about guaranteed to torque off the hit police...

I think that underplays Bill Ward's musical importance to the original Black Sabbath lineup and overplays D'arcy's musical importance to the original Smashing Pumpkins lineup...

No, I don't know her personally. At the same time, some basic deduction gives me the ability to figure out that either there was nothing to show or she did something wrong.

Here's how it goes:

If your motive is to make someone else look bad, unless you're staging out your release of information (she isn't), you put all the cards on the table with the cards most effectively supporting your argument front and center. With what looks like texts missing from the exchange, either she forgot to include things which make Billy actually look bad, or there was nothing else to include that "bolstered her argument." If she forgot to include them, it's interesting that she didn't go back and make the missing pieces public. Or, maybe, there was nothing in there she felt served the argument she was putting forward.

As for her motives, I don't think you go running to multiple outlets with this story of "X screwed me over and is a bad man" with that point being stated directly multiple times during your each bit of exposure if you don't want to make people think that X screwed you over and is a bad man.

Put another way, if she's aiming for anything else, she's more whacked out than the most recent interview makes her look. In either case, I deflinely feel sad for her because that's no way to live. :shrug:

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The irony is Corgan himself blasted this tour as a "cash-in" when it happened. It seems like complete bitterness in hindsight.

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

No, the article was posted as the first comprehensive interview in a long time. This 2009 thing was more of an impromptu chit chat :)

Aftermath likes this.
  18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Or, in other words, conjecture.
    :)

Billy should tour with Pavement, that'd be a line-up I'd pay to see.

19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Holy wow that interview is something!

You know... it seems to me that most of that group of musicians (including the ones she name-drops in the interview) were pretty horrible self-absorbed mental cases who were lucky to have found fame instead of being anonymous self-absorbed mental cases stuck in dead end jobs that nobody cares about.

The way the scenario should have played out would be for Billy to contact everyone and ask them to jam with the idea that maybe they'd do a reunion. Then take it from there. If D'Arcy couldn't handle it or didn't show up or whatever then that's that. Or don't even ask her to be part of it. But Billy seems like he needs it to be a 'reunion tour' where they play their greatest hits in outdoor sheds all summer long to make it worthwhile financially. But really it probably will still work out because everybody knows what a pain-in-the-rear that guy is... this chaos is just helping promote the fact that it's happening!

D.B., Hep Alien and Hall Cat like this.
  20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

So, the stable member doesn't want the unstable member to participate in the reunion.

Basically, the opposite of what happened in Van Halen.

bmh5879, D.B., DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Also imagine speaking to her for FOUR hours and editing that down 'for clarity' to produce this result.

Runicen and DrBeatle like this.
  22. telepicker97

She's just proving the case as to why she's not going to be touring as part of any SP lineup.

Runicen and DrBeatle like this.
  23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

From the same interview...

"No, no. We were never friends."
    "I really enjoyed our friendship. I really, really did, so much"

Ok.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Didn't the Cars, NY Dolls and Zombies have reunion shows featuring musicians who had not played in decades? Might be true for the Stooges guitarist from Fun House as well.

D.B. and Dodoz like this.
  25. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

[​IMG]

TSWisla and Runicen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.