Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

So she can watch Billy play bass?

D.B., Hep Alien, gates69 and 6 others like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Maybe.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Billy, Jimmy, James and a Shapeshifter.

SirMarc and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I would almost guarantee the original Pumpkins (D'Arcy or not) will be headlining Riot Fest. We should hear in the next month or so.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Billy did an interview just a few months ago where he was saying what a great relationship he has with D'Arcy, and how they talk all the time etc. I wonder what happened.

Hep Alien and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

d’arcy was hacked

MikaelaArsenault and Adam Bosman like this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They probably had a fight, prompting D’Arcy to say what she did. Frankly, she may be too big a risk given what’s at stake.

I saw them on the Machina Tour with Melissa, and they were terrific.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

You may be mixing up your memories as NIN, Ice-T, and Living Color played in 1991 and Smashing Pumpkins played in 1994. They did play the same year as the Beasties though. I'm sorry your experience seeing them was so bad. I also saw them at Lollapalooza and they were absolutely amazing. I don't really get the Lolly Pop Loser comment from
    Nycademon. Sometimes bands just have off nights.

10. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Yes she was, but a Facebook-friend asked her after the fact if she was still joining the Pumpkins-reunion, and she answered "Was sposed to".

Billy posted this picture of the three other members in the studio last week.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

To clarify, I think Lollapalooza, crammed with too many bands and too much hype, is a really dumb phenomenon. Just my opinion.

As for the Pumpkins, clearly they had good (or great) shows and not-so-good (or lousy) shows. That isn’t terribly surprising, is it?

12. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

No, not at all surprising. I wasn't the biggest Pumpkins fan growing up but I was a fan and I was more of a fan after seeing them at Lollapalooza cause they played amazingly that day.

I know nothing of the current edition of Lollapalooza because I don't live near Chicago nor am I of the right age anymore to tolerate the elements of a day long festival but I did attend 92, 93, 94, and 95's touring years and I always loved those festivals. They meant a lot to see all those great bands in one place as a teen with a lot of angst back when music was everything. The 1992 concert was one of my first concerts the summer before I started high school and as anything musically that existed in those formative years was pretty cool. I don't think the corporate sponsorship or any of the negative elements registered to us back then. It was just a great day of awesome bands playing back to back.

13. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Lollapalooza was a great idea, and the time I got to go ( the first tour, Atlanta show ), was a great time. I do think it got over bloated with excess during the later years but the combination of styles and groups was an experience that I'll never forget.

MikaelaArsenault and Nycademon like this.
  14. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe I'm underestimating her importance musically, but from everything I've heard about D'Arcy and her lifestyle choices, the last thing anyone should want is for her to re-enter the limelight. Sorry, but I'm getting visions of Entwistle's end here. I'm also not sure how much she would bring to the equation as she seemed to have more of a role to play visually offsetting the others on stage than necessarily contributing feel or chops.

Just my take.

16. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I see where you're coming from regarding her lifestyle, but her playing was a very good fit for the band. Imho, if they'd just managed to get the original four together for say a show or two at the Metro, that would have been a beautiful thing. And even if it wasn't perfect musically, I think 99,9 % of even the most cynical SP-fans would cheer them on, and be grateful for the moment.

Entwistle hid his cocaine-habit from the public, and he seemingly had no desire to stop. D'arcy's downfall, on the other hand, is well documented, and I think fans in particular would be sensitive and respectful towards her, should she re-enter the limelight. Most people would probably just be happy to see her back out there, and rather give her a hug than a bag of dope. The press is a different story of course, but I'm sure there are many journalists too who would be touched by seeing such a tortured person getting herself back together enough to perform again with her band, even if her bass playing wasn't up to 1995-standards.

17. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Billy posted yesterday that the recent studio session was for writing/demoing. They worked on 16 songs in total.

18. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

So maybe Darcy saw that Instagram picture of the ol gang together and assumed they left her out?

19. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Funnily enough, my first thought when I saw the picture was that maybe she was the one who took it.

20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"On Sunday (January 21), ex-Smashing Pumpkins bassist D’arcy Wretzky confirmed both the planned Smashing Pumpkins reunion, and that she will not be a part of a reunion and/or tour, set to begin this summer.

Speaking exclusively to BlastEcho via text, Wretzky wrote, “My apologies to all of the Smashing Pumpkins fans out there who are excited about this oncoming reunion tour of the original members of the band. I know this is a huge disappointment for me, as well, but it’s not going to happen [with me].”

She added, “I only just found about yesterday that the band has decided to go with a different bass player.”

According to Wretzky, the band is planning to launch a summer tour featuring frontman Billy Corgan, original guitarist James Iha, original drummer Jimmy Chamberlain and, now a to-be-determined bassist, beginning in July.

At this time, Wretzky declined to provide additional details, but please stay tuned."

D’arcy Wretzky Will Not Be Part of Smashing Pumpkins Reunion or Tour – BlastEcho

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

this one is quite bizarre. Billy's got some 'splainin to do:)

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

So, who's the bassist? :wiggle:

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

And "X.Y.U." and "Thirty-Three" and "Cherub Rock"...;)

AndydD, Hep Alien and VinylMario like this.
  24. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I'm guessing you are joking, but Billy plays bass. Siamese Dream was just Billy and Jimmy making the entire album, so...these Instagram photos are certainly exciting to me. I don't really care if Iha and Wretzky are on this new record, as long as the 4 of them tour together.
    I just checked the news and Wretzky, apparently, will not be rejoining this Pumpkins reunion.
    Poor Billy...he just can't seem to get them all together on one stage. It's got to be frustrating for him. He's obviously a great musician, but the public kind of dropped them like hotcakes after Mellon Collie...

So, I think we can maybe expect James to add some overdubs after Billy and Jimmy record the basic tracks (IF this is touted as being a "Pumpkins" reunion)...

Hep Alien and Fullbug like this.
  25. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I wasn't joking man. I was asking a serious question. If they're going on tour, who would play the bass?

BTW I'm not a fan of the Pumpkins, this reunion rumour makes me excited. I love '90s bands hehe

Fullbug and Vinyl Socks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.