Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that has to be the one that drove me away!

When I pulled up the linked setlist earlier today, some glitch occurred and it didn't show the 3 encore songs, so I thought the show ended with "Untitled".

Now that I see the full setlist, it seems 99.9% certain "Gossamer" was the one that cleared the house! :D

3. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

That's too bad, it is a great song.

4. Hawkfire269

Hawkfire269 Forum Resident

Just really heartbroken one of my fav bands of my youth isn't doing the reunion properly. I'm somewhat surprised Iha is on board given D'Arcy's absence, given those two were always the closest in the band in their heyday. I'll pass at this half assed "reunion" that just seems lazy.

To the detractors, sure D'Arcy is not a virtuoso bassist and had minimal recorded input on Siamese Dream, but as Corgan himself stated she was the bulls**t detector of the band, and one that argued over the music with Corgan incessantly, often to the betterment of SP albums. In fact, in 30 years I'd say she was the ONE person who could argue/not back down from Corgan. The results speak for themselves: Corgan's 1991-1999 output w/Darcy vs the past 17-18 years without her, you be the judge.

pinkrudy, Hep Alien and marc with a c like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Weren’t Iha and Wretzky a couple for some time? My understanding was their relationship was strained due to that.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

That was 25 years ago. They were in a band together for the next 7 years. They even joke about that in the 1998 interview video clip I posted a couple pages ago.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. amoergosum

Yep...reminds me of this interview >>> click

polchik likes this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

How do you know that means he didn't offer to meet up somewhere else? I don't think they were recording at his house in Chicago...so maybe she was supposed to fly out to LA or wherever the rest of the band met up?

Again, you're giving D'arcy the benefit of the doubt, much like all the other Corgan bashers out there. Everything he says is an utter lie, everything she says is the complete truth. I get it.

Runicen and WilliamWes like this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah, it's lazy that this new tour was in the works since at least early 2017. Maybe the fact that Iha and JC are on board with the reunion speaks volumes about the nature of D'arcy's absence.

But yeah I'll stop because only 3...2...1... until someone calls me a Corgan fanboy. I'm not, I just try not to form the basis of my opinions from hearing just ONE side of a story.

Runicen likes this.
  10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

The official sp statement claimed that Darcy failed to show up. Given her own texts, it sounded like she couldn't commit because of a shoulder injury. IMO, that shoulder injury that needed three opinions only to be cleared sounded like bs.

11. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

It was very easy for me to get a prime (lower level, section closest to the stage, fifth-row back) seat this morning. Unfortunately, this tour isn't going to sell well.

On other hand, I wasn't able to get decent tix for Radiohead despite a ton of effort.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, early returns don't look too good. Other than New York and Chicago, sales look slow and in some places really bad.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

Corgan released the tour setlist online

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

From the same article on the Pitchfork site:

"Billy Corgan has now shared a list of proposed songs for the tour, which includes a bounty of tracks from that era, plus covers of classics like “Stairway to Heaven,” “Love Will Tear Us Apart,” and “Space Oddity.” Corgan asks fans to pipe in if they have any requests, noting that “the goal is to build an epic set.” He also adds that the shared list is not in any particular order. "

15. SoundAdvice

WilliamPatrickCorgan on Instagram: “The other day, I shared a set of ours from 1995. Which surprisingly engendered a lot of interest, and it got me thinking why not share our…”

Here's the photo. Seems no media outlet wants to type out the 30 something songs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

17. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I got the exact tix I wanted in St Paul an hour after they went on sale (I was in a meeting at 10!!). Only $66 each. I'm afraid it won't sell well which is too bad.

18. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

got my chicago tickets. i've seen the band a few times but i've mostly missed the hits, so 17 year old me is pumped...

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Holy crap.

:: face palm::

905 likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

Corgan has used "click bait quotes" for 20 years now.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. amoergosum

22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Ummmmm...

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Much as I appreciate these Instagram glimpses into Billy's life, I can't tell if that's a "shocked by joy" face or a "sell all shares, we're doomed" face. :laugh:

Also, can I just say how much I love that Billy's winter dress sense matches that of my grandmother? Rock and roll. :biglaugh:

24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Bought floor seats. Pricey, and Billy is a goon, but I don't care. Seeing Chamberlain live, getting Iha and the classic setlist is something I can't pass up.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m always amazed that these dudes that are younger than me wind up looking ten years older. Then again, people aren’t taking pictures of me on the fly and without my consent (that I’m aware of ;):laugh:).

Main point: aging is a bitch and few of us do it gracefully.

Runicen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.