Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

At least Billy and James look like they're having a good time!

Dodoz, DrBeatle and bmh5879 like this.
  3. amoergosum

Jack and Jeff always look like they're practicing scales in a basement somewhere.

ivor, Dodoz, DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I know it’s trivial but it just looks wrong not seeing a female bassist onstage with the Pumpkins. It’s just so ingrained into my vision.

5. amoergosum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

7. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m sold. I’m going to see them.

bmh5879 and amoergosum like this.
  9. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Got tickets for August 4th...if they are as good as these clips, I am glad I did!

10. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I'm going on the 1st and 2nd. I was initially going to sell my MSG ticket one they announced the NJ show but I figured I'd just go to both and take Friday off from work to recover. 3 hour shows and they sound tight, especially for shows this early on in the tour.

amoergosum likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Reviews are uniformly great. Let’s see if word of mouth can help to sell some tickets.

12. marblesmike

I had vouchers from that Ticketmaster lawsuit that I was able to use for free lawn seats for the Holmdel show. Hopefully I can upgrade them.

Also looking to spend a little more to get good seats for the Philly show.

bmh5879 likes this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

My wife is a big fan, her sister got her tickets as a birthday present, I'm glad to see reviews have been good.

I'll pass along her review, though the show is not for 2 weeks.

Dodoz likes this.
  14. amoergosum

Mayonaise (MULTICAM video):

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Quite an extended video.
    So much better than the dreadful faux Pumpkins Billy Corgan experience I attended in 2013.
    It's weird to see Jimmy play keys during "Thirty Three". Probably reading too much into it but...a kind of a veiled tribute to the late Jonathan Melvoin?
    (Okay, people will say "no, just a way to keep him busy on a song he doesn't drum on").

Hep Alien and bmh5879 like this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

He didn't like it too much in the first place, or so he claims. It's weird he would have decided to include it on his big and awaited second album (as the second track too!) if he didn't like it at the time though. And it's not as if he had been short of material, ha! (see the b-sides, "Glynis" and the various demoed/rejected tracks). I wonder if he got any sleep at the time. :)

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Darcy and Jimmy persuaded him to include Quiet on Siamese Dream. He also didn't like Geek USA but Jimmy wanted it on the album and Billy grew to like it, but that never happened with Quiet.

Hep Alien and Dodoz like this.
  18. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

19. marblesmike

The problem is that there aren't too many medium-sized venues left anymore in most metro areas. It's 2000-3000 seat venues or smaller vs outdoor sheds or arenas. The Pumpkins fall in between those two categories.

I also think pricing has been an issue with these shows.

fourfeathers and Rockinrob like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some of these cities have active mid size venues not chosen for this tour. It also could have been half bowl set ups that feel closer to Theaters than vacant arenas.

The female singer from Halestorm guested in Nashville. Maybe she or the AFI guy turn up in another city.

Riot Fest Chicago has still not announced their 3rd headliner to perform 6 weeks from now. SP play their hometown about 2 weeks from now, so it might be announced after they play.

Metric play 8 songs including 3 songs from the upcoming September album no one has heard. Nothing at all from their first 3 albums.

21. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Well they should have arranged more UK shows. London only is a joke.

Mule of Kiitos likes this.
  22. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I bought a pair of 10th row center seats out front for $50 each before the Tampa show last night. Awesome to be that close in an arena! It was noticeably lightly attended, but like someone pointed out above, there aren't any mid size venues. We have several below 3K, 2 around 20K, and an 80K stadium. It would be nice to have a 8K small arena or something like that.

Show was very good. It was a full 3 hours and the pacing was a little weird to me, but the performances were very good. You couldn't ask for much more from them

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Expo Hall or Sun Dome are arenas under 10k in Tampa that have hosted concerts in the past.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hoped to take a beach trip to NJ next week and see the Holmdel show, but the forecast sucks, so that's unlikely to happen - no reason to take a beach trip if I can't go to the beach! :sigh:

I don't like the Pumpkins enough to travel to NJ just for that show, but I admit I remain curious about how the "Anniversary Concert" will differ from the regular show...

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it won't differ at all.

marblesmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.