Smashing Pumpkins with Tommy Lee ("Monuments To An Elegy")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

3. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

Kind of a big step down from Jimmy Chamberlin IMHO.

4. amoergosum

Let's be honest...it's not SP anymore...it's Billy Corgan's new project.

5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Hopefully Tommy sings :0)

heatherly likes this.
  6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

They should just leak out the sex tape together and be done with it.

7. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

True. But to me, a step up from what they currently have in place.

Spaceboy likes this.
  8. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Billy sure knows how to destroy a legacy.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Honestly, Tommy Lee isn't that good of a drummer. Jimmy rules!

Evan

weaselone likes this.
  10. amoergosum

Tommy Lee knows how to get that really hot drum sound >>>

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Look...I'm not the biggest Motley Crue fan, but you folks are being a little silly...Tommy is a great drummer.

12. amoergosum

There's no doubt about it. I didn't like Byrne's drumming at all.

Spaceboy and Fullbug like this.
  13. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

And writes....and raps.

**** the haterz, "Get Naked" rocks!

longaway likes this.
  14. calijawn

calijawn Active Member

What really matters now:

Does this make Smashing Pumpkins a "glam metal" band?

drapes, thxphotog, longaway and 5 others like this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Tommy is a great player and for those of you that didn't really get a chance to listen to his stuff outside of Crue, he's got the feel and skills to be much more than just a simple drummer that pounds the skins. He's got a sense of time and a groovy feel that could work with the Pumpkins, depending on the material that is being recorded. I am a little surprised that Mike is not playing on the album. I wonder if there was a falling out or if he's out of the band? I do miss Jimmy though, to me there could never be another Pumpkins drummer. I got to see the Pumpkins on the Siamese Dream tour in Montreal, front row, right in front of D'Arcy, and man the power of Jimmy's playing was mind blowing. I've never heard a kit sound so good in a live setting, it was insane.

Spaceboy, Fullbug and thebunk like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Smashing Pumpkins has become to the 90s, what GNR is to the 80s.

Atmospheric, Fullbug, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  17. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I don't think this is bad at all! Tommy is a great hard driving drummer with excellent meter. There's no reason why this wouldn't be awesome regardless of what you might think of TL or the Crue.

18. amoergosum

19. amoergosum

SP update >>>

"
    The notion to reach out to T Lee came from The Shredder, who in hearing me say ‘we really need to get someone like Tommy to play on this song’ said, “well, why don’t we reach out to him?” And let me tell you something: I’ve had the fortune of being in the room with some of the all-time greats, and when you’re that close to someone who is the best at what they do you gain insight into the way they are able to communicate to so many. Let’s call it a universal language (which music is, obviously), and in applying it with heart/soul they present intangibles that give dimension and depth to a composition which otherwise would not be as kaleidoscopic.

So on flying out a few weeks ago I presented T Lee with the idea, played him all the songs that I’d worked hard to finish, and discussed the way we’d be most comfortable finding common ground in the studio. Which explains the rush to prepare the arrangements for him to drum on, and also our keeping the work under wraps; so that nothing and nobody could influence the process.

I’m also happy to report that not only did we have a blast, but the 9 ‘MONUMENTS’ songs sound epic in a way that is indescribable. I guess I could toss off hyperbole after pronoun, but it would sell short what I like to call ‘Supersonic Pumpkins’; which is a descriptor in itself. Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement. The only other place I’ve heard this phenomena is with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin: where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!

As for the connection, I first met Tommy way back in 1991 when he came to one of our shows, and through the years we’ve run into each other many times at various places. So the coupling is not as odd as some might assume, as he, like I, has pushed into embracing new technologies, electronics, etc where it pertains to making new sounds. He is a wonderful, warm person to be around, and I wouldn’t have come to him with this proposition if I didn’t trust that this was something we’d both be proud of. So we expect to finish up the drums in a few weeks, seeing as we’re in a rush to get this stuff out and oh yeah, Tommy’s got this mega-Crue tour to do.

Let me also add on a personal and public level that I’m truly excited, for there’s an excitement in the music that is vital and necessary; especially when you consider what’s dying on the vine out there. I believe this is soul music we’re making, and I’m proud of who I’m stuck in the foxhole with. Attack, attack, attack…

W.P.C."

[​IMG]

Source:
    http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.co...ATE/c7ba/E7E0B435-D937-471A-AE6D-066C538F6B66

20. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

LAME
    LAME
    LAME

Mike was a great fit for SP... This choice annoys me!

supernaut likes this.
  21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I predict the new Smashing Pumpkins album with Tommy Lee will be underrated.

22. amoergosum

I highly disagree.

23. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I don't like Mötley Crüe at all, but I think this is a big step up from Mike Byrne. At least Tommy Lee is a professional drummer, that's how bad I think Byrne's drumming was, even his timing was f-cked up. It's not that I was dreaming about Tommy Lee playing with the Smashing Pumpkins, but I would take any professional drummer over the sloppy mess Mike Byrne was. They even needed to do some pro-tool surgery to his drums on Oceania, that's enough.

Anonamemouse and Fullbug like this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Does anyone else find it odd that he still hasn't explained why Mike is not involved?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Anchorless

Anchorless Active Member

Embarrassing.

This used to be my favorite band... up until after Billy went plum loco around 2002-ish.

Tommy Lee is a pathetic excuse for a human being, capable drummer or not.

GodShifter and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.