Smashing Pumpkins with Tommy Lee ("Monuments To An Elegy")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

What's odd to me, is One and All sounds the best of the (4) new tracks (arguably Tiberius too), but it has the lowest DR.

It sounds like each song was mixed differently, so the master throws things off (i.e BC vocals are WAY to up front on Being Beige and Drum + Fife)

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

First show with Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer >>>

3. amoergosum

4. amoergosum

"Monuments" >>>

Adam Bosman likes this.
  5. amoergosum

"Run2Me" >>>

Adam Bosman likes this.
  6. amoergosum

So this just happened >>>

[​IMG]

7. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

Wait.... did I accidentally wake up in 1998?

8. amoergosum

9. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I'm really liking the new album. It's not a masterpiece, but a very honest and unpretentious effort. Loving 'Anaise!'.

theshape likes this.
  10. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

I had no idea Lex Luthor, The Joker and Al Jolson even knew each other.

11. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I would go to see The Smashing Pumpkins, not Tommy Lee. Motley Crue is one of those bands that I can't stand.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

But when David Gilmour releases Division Bell (Endless River) outtakes you still consider it "Pink Floyd". Interesting.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Because that isn't what happened. Pink Floyd, not just David Gilmour, released The Endless River, and 3 members played on it. The album wasn't "out-takes" in the sense that that term is most often used, and it is better than anything since the Wall. Seems like you want to condemn Pink Floyd on a Smashing Pumpkins thread, without knowing all of the relevant info. Interesting.

14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

15. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It has nothing to do with me condemning Pink Floyd (I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, but Endless River? No.).

You blast(ed) (condemned?) people who didn't consider "Endless River" a real/proper Floyd release, but you don't consider this the real "Smashing Pumpkins". This despite the fact that Billy Corgan was, and still is, the lead architect - from writing to playing to production - on their studio releases.

Consistency much? Nope. ;)

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yes. It's actually very good. I like that some of the songs sound like they could have been on Billy's solo disc TheFutureEmbrace. And I like the short LP length. What a breath of fresh air in an era when most artists feel the need to fill up an 80 minute disc.

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Um, Smashing Pumpkins and Pink Floyd aren't the same band. As a "huge fan," I would think that you knew this. Anyway, Billy Corgan is the only core Smashing Pumpkins member here. The Endless River has 3 core Pink Floyd members on it. Not that hard to understand...

18. Adam Bosman

By your standard, the only 'true' Smashing Pumpkins albums are Gish, Mellon Collie and Machina I(?)

Edit: Division Bell and The Endless River only have (2) original Pink Floyd members...Wright and Mason.

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Um, That's why I said "core" and not "original." - I don't really care for Piper, myself.

The only Pumpkins records I enjoy anymore are Gish Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Lull EP.

20. Adam Bosman

Gilmour didn't join the band (officially) until what, Meddle? Pink Floyd was well established by the time the 'core' member Gilmour even joined the band. Then the 'core' member Waters left. I'm just not following your logic, other than you're trolling.

The 'core' members James and D'arcy didn't record their parts on Siamese Dream, so it doesn't count as Smashing Pumpkins (by your logic?).

I'm not sure how you're defining 'core.' I mean, Jeff Schroeder has been in the band for 7 years.

It's OK to not like Smashing Pumpkins, but your opinion is clearly driven by the media narrative, and not the actual music Smashing Pumpkins have been releasing. Go listen to the song '99 Floors' or even 'Tiberius' on the current record...they are both 'classic' Smashing Pumpkins in every sense of the word.

marblesmike likes this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Gilmour joined on Saucerful of Secrets, which was the second album, and was present on the classic run from Meddle through The Wall - In fact, there is only ONE record he didn't play on in the entire Pink Floyd canon.

I think you are the one who is trolling here, because I obviously like the Smashing Pumpkins, which is why I even bothered to comment on this thread. "Media narrative?" WTF are you even talking about? Do you even know???

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah, only here at SH Forums will we have a thread about a new SP album that has more debate about Pink Floyd than discussion about the new SP album.

23. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

I hate to be one of those people but I'm really not feeling all what I have heard from the new album. While I have never believed that the Pumpkins were defined only by the classic four line-up, Billy Corgan was always the driving force of the band, I do believe they helped keep his indulgences in check and cull the weaker material thus helping maintain the quality brand they were known for in the 90s. I've always maintained (and many on here have naturally disagreed) that the band should have ended with Untitled and the Rotten Apples hits package, it was the perfect full stop to an excellent career up unto that point.

Ever since they have returned I can't help but feel Corgan's need to be relevant again has meant the band has lost their trademark sound and has instead careened from album to album without any real focus. The naff new metal desperation of Zeitgeist, the aborted lame duck that was Teargarden then the lame attempt to justify it's abandonment by saying Monuments and Oceania were part of the suite all along, a cop-out so full of bullish*t I can smell it from here, all the way across the pond. Oceania had a couple of moments but was weak and unfocused and everything I have heard from Monuments so far sounds incredibly middle of the road, material that compared to Mellon Collies b-sides would never have even qualified as even that. Being Beige makes it all too easy to make jokes about, meanwhile One And All attempts to make strides by being both a bit naff and a generic Pumpkins rocker and succeeds perfectly, that bland chorus hook is an embarrassment to a once great master songwriter. I'm glad some people are enjoying it but to me it is hardly Pumpkins' grade material, regardless of whether Corgan deserves the band title or not.

That said, I'm pulling a late shift at HMV on Monday so will use that as an opportunity to give 'Monuments' a proper spin on the stores' superb soundsystem and will reserve judgement until then but I haven't got my hopes up.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Soooo...SP is now irrelevant also? LOL

25. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Irrelevant, and a bit of a punchline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.