Smashing Pumpkins with Tommy Lee ("Monuments To An Elegy")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The similarities are striking, though it could be argued that the best songwriter in GNR wasn't Axel Rose.

Luke W likes this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You sound like the people over at Netphoria who try to analyze why they hate what Billy is doing these days.

3. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Never been there but it sounds like they know how to have a good time!

In all seriousness, and to be quite fair, Billy has made it incredibly easy for people to make fun of the group these days, what with announcements of announcements, contradictory statements about ex-members, disappointing tours and aborted projects. I also very much doubt I am alone in finding the band's output underwhelming in recent years and it's not just some rose tinted nostalgia of the way things used to be, the line-up revolved ever since Adore but at least those records had a certain... something that Billy was bringing to the table. A magic they haven't been able to bring back since they reformed in my opinion, they still bring the songs but the soul just isn't there. The new tracks released so far from the new record sound as dry as tinderwood though they aren't helped by the production pushing Billy's vocals right to the forefront where they really don't belong. And I'm not hating for the sake of hating like this Netphoria apparently do (Pumpkins fan site gone rogue I'm guessing?). I remain a big fan of U2 for example but I wince every time Bono says anything nowadays. Billy's perceived decline is not an exception, just an example. I'm sure everyone on these forums have at least one band they used to love and probably still do but could put a pin in the exact moment they felt the spark was lost. If people didn't care still then they wouldn't get disappointed after all.
    Anyway, come Monday I'm gonna crank the record up on the store speakers and see what sticks. I liked a few tracks on Oceania and Zeitgeist and will probably do the same with this one too.

4. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

This just happened >>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turntable likes this.
  5. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Just need Trent Reznor to show up now and you'd have the most improbable 90s reunion since David Grohl and Courtney Love settled their differences.

heatherly likes this.
  6. amoergosum

7. amoergosum

8. amoergosum

Billy Corgan will do an AMA session on REDDIT today >>> 2:30 pm EST!

9. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

What subreddit is it going to be in? I can't find anything about it

10. amoergosum

11. amoergosum

12. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Not sure what I think about this yet....will have to give it some time to sink in, as I eventually grew to love Oceania..... but I will admit, some of their best work over the past few years has been their poppier/acoustic stuff....Owata was a great tune that no one knows about. 99 Floors never even got a studio release. Cottonwood Symphony is a vinyl only track. Zeitgeist (the song) was an actual b-side. The Rose March is a great track on the American Gothic EP. On their Fillmore DVD from a few years ago, they have an acoustic session that is really good.... I guess I want softer SP nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  13. Pave999

Pave999 Well-Known Member

For those interested, this album is available in 24/96 FLAC for US$10 at www.pledgemusic.com . That's good value. It doesn't sound like a different master, so looking forward to comparing it to the vinyl when that arrives.

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  14. Lamest new album thread ever.

5 pages of Tommy Lee. 2 pages of miscelanious Billy Corgan and "guests."

1 page of Pink Floyd.

Let's talk lawn and gardening.

15. marblesmike

I really like the album, and think it's better and more concise than Oceania. I like the short LP length of the release.

I think people are afraid to compliment Billy. We live in a society of social lemmings and Billy, for better or worse, is NOT a lemming and I think people have become apprehensive to take him or his music seriously, which is a shame because he's a terrific, unique artist.

16. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm really digging this album. Upon my first listen, I thought, "Were those even songs??" lol. But, after a few more listens, the songs revealed themselves, and I think I may like this more than Oceania. And I really like Oceania! As far as album length, it harkens back to the shorter album format. And I, for one, am very happy with the results from some other recent albums that have used this format. AC/DC and Rancid's latest immediately come to mind. And now the new Smashing Pumpkins can go into that list as well. :righton:

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Just received the vinyl.

Fkcn love this. Playing it for my 2nd time in a row. It will be a grower as well.

Loved the synths, love the drum machines, love Tommy Lee's tight fast drumming, love the guitars and how it all jells together with Billy's vocals

the album comes and finishes way too soon thou.

Can't wait to see them live early in the New Year.

18. amoergosum

What's the dynamic range? Can you check?

19. marblesmike

How does this sound compared to the CD?

20. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I like the new album:shh:
    Especially Tommy's drumming:righton:

21. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

No idea, but it would have to sound better than the CD

Nice pressing as well with poly lined paper sleeve

cheers

22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I have both the CD and the Vinyl. They appear (hear) like the same source, but there are NO liner notes w/ either release...just who mixed and mastered it. CD vs Vinyl is a lateral move in my opinion.

The DR range is a little different for each track, but they're all in the 6 range. It's def a brick wall, but not as obtrusive as I thought when I heard Being Beige...which is easily the worst mix (or master?) on the album...vocals way to high/up front. One and All has the worst DR, but sounds OK for the most part.

I'm not going to bother posting DR for tracks...let your ears be the judge. My initial rage at seeing Howie Weinberg attached to this subsided a little, but it's still a mess compared to what it should have been. Great album mired down in the loudness war. Blah

marblesmike likes this.
  23. marblesmike

When you get a chance can you post the vinyl deadwax info?

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

listened to it the other night on my PC....
    didnt do much at all for me...i think oceania did more for me and i never even liked oceania that much.

25. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.