Smashing Pumpkins with Tommy Lee ("Monuments To An Elegy")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

2. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

This is the stk standard US release from CCmusic

deadwax
    K SS NOISELAND 14-0613 A MPO
    K SS NOISELAND 14-0613 B MPO

Which translates to manufactured by Noiseland Industries in Minneapolis. laquer cut at ST Bruggemann Germany by Daniel Krieger
    Vinyl pressed @ MPO in France

cheers

Adam Bosman likes this.
  3. Pave999

Pave999 Well-Known Member

This is correct. The addition of hi-res FLAC came during the 'campaign' and was only mentioned in the Discussion. I'm not sure the pledge products are now available after the official 'launch'. Worth asking them, as they are accomodating and pleasant to deal with.

4. Pave999

I have uploaded DR results for the pledgemusic.com hi-res FLAC files here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/79074. As expected, comparable to the CD.

That said, the files sound quite good.

I'm loving this album.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anonamemouse likes this.
  6. Pave999

For better or worse, Billy was always going to make this album loud, given the philosophy behind it, which so far he has best expressed here: .

7. Pave999

Here is a gracious, insightful and entertaining song-by-song commentary from Billy.

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Nice! They moved away from A&R Records in Dallas mastered by Stan Getz (which sound mostly good, although the pressing quality varies) to MPO which usually sound/play fantastic.

9. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

Looks like its available on Qoboz. Wonder if it will be available on hdtracks or prostudiomasters soon.

Pledgemusic seems to have pulled all the various pledge options and now just has a generic artist page. I emailed them to see I could slip in for last call.

On the actual album, does anyone else feel it gets stronger as you move into the mid-later tracks? I feel like Oceania was the opposite, started great and faded towards the end.

10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Listening to the hi-res files and it doesn't sound bad at all---it feels like a solid album. I was hoping that the new trend of offering hi-res files that have more dynamic range than the cd would have applied here but oh well (think TP Heartbreakers and Weezer's Everything...) I might pick up the LP to compare.

It's a short album which is good but I can't help but think this is the first disc of a double album (Day for Night coming in 2015).

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The pressing is excellent and the sound is good on the album. Better sound than Oceania from memory but not as good as the Adore reissue.

Overall not much to complain about and the album is a grower as you peel back the layers on multiple listens

marblesmike, theshape and Adam Bosman like this.
  12. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

It really is a great record. I LOVED Oceania, so Monuments comes in second but is a great extension of the Teargarden concept.

It's too short, but now I'm really excited for 'Day for Night' which I think will be extremely weird and different.

Turntable and marblesmike like this.
  13. Pave999

Yeah, I like beginning with Anaise! and moving the two openers to the end. Though this could just be that I overdosed a bit on them as 'singles'.

14. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Listening to the vinyl. It's a very quiet pressing nicely done. Will need to listen to a few more times but the songs are growing on me. Billys got some hooks let in him....

15. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Oceania has superb dynamics compared to how brickwalled the new album is.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  16. Dr99

Dr99 Forum Resident

I managed to purchase the 24/96 from Qoboz using the knowledge on this forum. It was kind of painful, so I can pretty much guarantee it will be on the mainstream HD sites Tuesday.

I forgot to mention...included in the vinyl, which you presumably bought because you appreciate higher quality sound, is a download code for 128kb/mp3's of the album.

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I assume we are both talking about the vinyl releases.

Sounds like I need to pull out the Oceania vinyl to compare

18. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Sorry, no, I was talking about the CD. It's the best sounding Pumpkins CD....well....since Adore? Wasn't nearly as crushed as Machina or Zeitgeist.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  19. Pave999

From memory, the Machina CD sounds great, irrespective of the compression. I only have the vinyl now, and uploaded DR values here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/79077. The drums sound very different on the vinyl: more natural but not necessarily better, in my opinion. I'd pick up the CD again but will wait for the reissue, which will see a complete remix and new song sequence.

20. Pave999

My Oceania vinyl had some sibilance and inner groove distortion that I trust will be absent on my soon-to-arrive MTAE vinyl.

21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

???

>>>

DR6 -0.01 dB -7.35 dB 4:01 01-The Everlasting Gaze
    DR7 -0.01 dB -7.43 dB 4:40 02-Raindrops + Sunshowers
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.13 dB 4:14 03-Stand Inside Your Love
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.49 dB 4:37 04-I Of The Mourning

DR7 -0.01 dB -7.61 dB 4:22 05-The Sacred And Profane
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.17 dB 5:09 06-Try, Try, Try
    DR7 -0.01 dB -7.41 dB 5:53 07-Heavy Metal Machine
    DR7 -0.01 dB -7.61 dB 4:44 08-This Time
    DR6 -0.01 dB -6.60 dB 4:25 09-The Imploding Voice
    DR6 -0.01 dB -9.41 dB 9:56 10-Glass And The Ghost Children
    DR6 -0.01 dB -6.66 dB 3:59 11-Wound

DR8 -0.01 dB -8.84 dB 3:44 12-The Crying Tree Of Mercury
    DR9 -0.01 dB -10.35 dB 3:56 13-With Every Light
    DR9 -0.01 dB -10.69 dB 5:46 14-Blue Skies Bring Tears
    DR6 -0.01 dB -8.89 dB 3:55 15-Age Of Innocence

Official DR value: DR7

22. Pave999

Yeah, I'm just sayin' I remember liking the sound. It suits the music and its frequent aim, to drive and pump and excite.

23. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I just finished my first listen and my first impression is that I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy Tommy Lee's drumming.

Ivand likes this.
  24. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Sometimes what you hear through your ears supersedes what you see with your eyes.

D.B. likes this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well said, I feel the same way. What I love about the Fillmore DVD is that it gave us some of the, IMO, best stuff the Pumpkins have ever done. Peace and Love, The Rose March and 99 Floors, just stellar tracks and I wish we could get more of stuff like that. I think Peace and Love is just a killer tune.

mattdm11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.