SME3009 II Tone Arm Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WillytheWoofer, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillytheWoofer

WillytheWoofer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dear music friend. I presume you are all serieus listeners. That's why I have a question;
    My arm SME3009 II improved with detachable headshell is a little to light for the MC Goldring Legacy. Will a heavier arm bring more sound quality?
    The table is a Thorens TD124. The rest costs new a few times 10.000
    Thanks for your help in front.
    Wil (The Netherlands)

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's about optimal tracking, which affects the sound. More at the frequency extremes than in the midrange.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
  3. WillytheWoofer

Dear music friends. I am a pro musician/teacher/conducter with little technical knowledge.
    I finally found out after three cartridges and two phono amps, why the turntable didn't sound good.
    The platter had no ground wire to the phono amp.
    I am so happy with that, that I bought Art Blakey - The jazz messengers at 45 rpm. And I must say it sounds very good. Also STS records sound very good now as Patricia Barber 33rpm pressed at two records.

My arm SME3009 II improved with detachable headshell is a little to light for the MC Goldring Legacy. Will a heavier arm bring more sound quality? The table is a Thorens TD124. The rest costs new a few times 10.000.

Digital playback is done by a computer and a Weiss Dac2 and sounds great. Even "normal" cd's sound great. Good high ress beets them off course.

So in short: what will bring a more heavy arm? Thanks for your help in front.

Thanks for your help in front.
    Wil (The Netherlands)

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I had that problem with the Hana SH so I bought a heavier headshell and the problem was solved. I have the exact same arm.

5. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hello Wil, I'm a bit confused, the cart is a heavy one, right? You are having trouble dialing it in as we say over here? The 124 and the SME are a match made in heaven...I tried the MC route years ago with a Audio Quest A404, same arm. I had the counter weight in the back barely hanging on, not good! Ebay UK to the rescue, there are companies that sell an aditional counter weight that screws into the back of your current one...you have seen that hole back there right?

So while the MC sounds wonderful, you are messing with the design and what it was made for. You have much money in a very nice cart. You will have to get an arm that supports that design, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I went back to the MM Shure V15 series for the best balanced sound with the SME. They were designed to work well together, very easy to dial in by ear with little help from protractors and such. There are Lps with a blank side, great for setting the anti-skating. Set the VTF by ear with the counter weight, or use a device, you really can't hurt your Lps with a little too much weight, I'm talking 1.5 to 3 grams here, even a bit more isn't going to hurt them! ...I can hear the spears coming, haha! Seriously, a worn stylus will ruin an Lp in seconds. I hope this info helps from a fellow Thorens/SME owner since 1977...btw, I have a different table, a 125MKII. That has nothing to do with your issue. I would advise going back to a MM Shure or similar cart, or save up for a different arm to match your wonderful Goldring. Good luck, keep spinning my friend!! :righton:

6. WillytheWoofer

Thanks for your answer. I am willing to compare a thew things in short. I thought a MC gives more detail?

7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Suitably loaded mm are very capable. And detailed. Hand on my heart i really cannot say which is better.
    Certainly mm very musical .
    MC very accurate. Which is best?

stuwee and 33na3rd like this.
  8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The 124 being idler a unipivot would suit nicely.roksan Nima?

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The heavier arm will work better with MC cartridges. And offer more cartridge choices in MM or MI. Why not a Jelco with a headshell in 9"? Would be great for MC duty.

10. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Wil, I have to agree with this. Only you can decide, ain't vinyl fun :cheers:??

11. WillytheWoofer

No, I hate it :unhunh:.

stuwee likes this.
  12. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Haha! Wil, you have a rig most only dream of, it will last long after you and I have turned into dust, cherish it, enjoy it my friend!! BTW, I was in Holland in the late 1980's, lovely country, wonderful people :love:

I'm looking forward to going over there again :uhhuh:

13. WillytheWoofer

I know you were in Holland Stuwee. It was in al newspapers and magazines :uhhuh:.

14. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Wow! Woof! [​IMG] I'm a star??

[​IMG]

WillytheWoofer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.