DCC Archive Smile tapes/Wild Honey remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Does anyone have a good idea of what kind of potential the Smile stuff has to sound? I would of thought that those sessions were well recorded but I'm not impressed w/ the sound of the Smile stuff on the GV box. A little too compressed and lifeless for my tastes. I picked up the Hawthorne release and IMO the new stereo remix of Let the Wind Blow from Wild Honey sounds great. Ditto the stereo remixes of the 2 Wild Honeuy outtakes (Lonley Days and Time to Get Alone.) Any opinion on this stuff?

Chris

2. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

I think Brian needs to swallow his pride and release Smile the way it was originally intended. I own a couple of boots and in fact have created my own CD version of the album utilizing several sources and reconstructed it the way documentation indicated it should have been released. The gv box set was only a "teaser" and though the set was generally well done (albeit with tacky graphics), an entire disc should have been devoted to "Smile" in its intended entirety. Remember that Capitol had even printed cover slicks and booklets in 1966/1967 for the "forthcoming" release.

3. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I think SMILE should be left well enough alone. People have been saying for years that Brain should assemble SMILE and put it out. Personally, I wouldn't want the Brian of today finishing anything. You need the Brian Wilson of '66 to finish SMILE and that guy is long gone.....

4. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I think Brian's more capable than people give him credit for...when you see him speak, you expect some sort of far-gone zombie (like what people expect from Syd Barrett), but now that's he's getting the correct treatment, he's remarkably with-it...and in a studio environment, he can still sing on pitch near 100% of the time (live, he has more trouble hitting notes, but he was MUCH more consistant than Paul Simon, who shared the bill with him).

That said, Smile was never finished, and it's more of an issue of going back in time and finishing the recording than it is of his competence...you wouldn't want to hear the "original" Get Back spruced up with raw, 90s overdubs, would ya?

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.