Smoky Mountain Bluegrass, 25 Classic Train Songs and Smoky Mountain Pickin'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

These 3 Rural Rhythm compilations are definitely worth buying for all bluegrass and hillbilly music fans with many of your favorite bluegrass standard with the Train Songs comp with songs about trains (essential for train lovers as well), Smoky Mountain Bluegrass with 24 bluegrass standard with the Orange Blossom Special, She'll Be Comin' Around The Mountain, I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow (done in a very similar arrangement to the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack version), Red White doing a great cover of Salty Dog Blues and many more classics and the Smoky Mountain Pickin' featuring more traditional bluegrass standards such as Casey Jones, Cotton Eyed Joe, Pretty Polly, Wheel Hoss, Cumberland Gap, Foggy Mountain Top and more. I highly recommend these.

2. BradOlson

Steve's mastering philosophy is definitely made for bluegrass music so keep mastering for Rural Rhythm.

3. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Question for Steve: are you involved in the remastering of Muleskinner-Live that I read about in ICE?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Anyone know who distributes RR in Canada?

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Bradley, do any of these discs feature "Rocky Top"? I've been looking for a good sounding master of this for years. If it's on one of Steve's discs, I can stop looking.

7. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

No offense to Steve, but if "Rocky Top" is on one of these, it probably won't be what is considered the "original" or "hit" version. The version you might be looking for is the one by the OSBORNE BROTHERS. I did a quick search and you would be very safe in using the one on APPALACHIAN STOMP-Rhino 71870.

8. BradOlson

Rural Rhythm does have a site at www.ruralrhythm.com. Lownotes is right that they do not necessarily use the hit versions of the songs but they do feature lots of great artists such as Raymond Fairchild, Hylo Brown, Fiddlin' Matt Poston, etc.

9. BradOlson

Rural Rhythm does sell their CDs by mail order and you can get an order form right on their site.

10. stever

stever Senior Member

Thanx, I love bluegrass and I'm going to pick up these titles.

11. BradOlson

You'll enjoy the Rural Rhythm label, Steve. A few years ago, Stve did give me lots of other Rural Rhythm CDs and they are excellent as well. BTW, there is no version of Rocky Top on the RR discs I have but check their website out.

12. BradOlson

Record stores can order Rural Rhythm as well but those I have were sent to me at my request as review/complimentary copies but support the company direct by ordering your product right from the company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.