SNL 25 years of Music

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

So this new 5 disc set is coming out and it looks pretty cool
    BUT
    I looked through the track listing and the classic Paul Simon/George Harrison Heare Comes The Sun and Homeward Bound duet is not included! I didnt see any James Taylor either. Not only that, but it looked like there was only one Clapton performance. The last disc featured Hanson and The BackStreet Boys for god's sake!!! Most of the rest of the performances looked good, but whoever is in charge of this project needs to look at demographics a little more. All of the EC performances are classic as well as the JT and Paul McCartney stuff. Looks like it would be a rights release hell though!

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yo Rob, got a link to the track listing?

mud-:D

3. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Uhhh, I was looking at hometheaterforum and then followed a link to tv shows you want on dvd or something like that. Sorry I dont remember exactly. Look on HTF though.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks!

mud-

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Are these newly produced, or just those compilation programs that ran on VH1 a couple of years ago? If they're not new, I'm not really too interested, as I recall, pretty much everything was truncated in some way, and linked together by rather boring and unfunny host segments by Cheri Oteri, Will Ferrel, et, al.

6. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Here is the Contents:

Volume 1
    Billy Joel Only The Good Die Young 1978, Ray Charles What'd I Say 1975, Carly Simon You're So Vain 1976, Grateful Dead Casey Jones 1978, Simon & Garfunkel The Boxer 1975, Joe Cocker Feelin Alright 1975, Elvis Costello Less Than Zero / Radio Radio 1977, Blues Brothers Soul Man 1978, Patti Smith Gloria 1976, Mick Jagger & Peter Tosh Don't Look Back 1978, The Band The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 1976

Plus Sketches starring John Belushi, Steve Martin, Jane Curtin, Laine Newman, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase, Paul Simon, Bill Murray, Andy Kaufman, Lorne Michaels, Dan Aykroyd and Mick Jagger

Volume 2
    Tina Turner Better Be Good to Me 1985, James Brown I Got You 1980, Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love 1982, Randy Newman I Love L.A. 1983, The Go Go's We Got the Beat 1981, Rick James Super Freak 1981, Talking Heads Take Me To The River 1979, Spinal Tap Big Bottom 1984, John Mellencamp Pink Houses 1983, Duran Duran Hungry Like The Wolf 1983

Plus Sketches starring Martin Short, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Ringo Starr, Stevie Wonder, Joe Piscopo and Rich Hall

Volume 3
    The Bangles Hazy Shade of Winter 1988, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Free Falin' 1989, Paul Simon Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes 1986, Neil Young Rockin' in the Free World 1989, Roy Orbison O Pretty Woman 1987, Pretenders Don't Get Me Wrong 1986, Fine Young Cannibals She Drives Me Crazy 1989, Sting We'll Be Together 1987, Elvis Costello Veronica 1989

Plus Sketches starring Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Aerosmith, Chris Farley, Patrick Swayze, Jon Lovitz, Harry Hall, Mick Jagger, Phil Hartman, Michael Myers, Chris Rock, Sting, Valerie Bertinelli & Eddie Van Halen

Volume 4
    R.E.M. Losing My Religion 1991, Sinead O'Connor War 1992, Madonna Fever 1993, Aretha Franklin Chain of Fools 1994, Eric Clapton Wonderful Tonight 1990, Nirvana Rape Me 1993, Paul McCartney Hey Jude 1993, En Vogue Free Your Mind 1992, Counting Crows Round Here 1994, Bruce Springsteen Living Proof 1992, Live I Alone 1995 Blind Melon No Rain 1994

Plus Sketches starring Mike Myers, Mick Jagger, Dana Carvey, Madonna, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, James Taylor, Rosie O'Donnell, Kevin Knealon, David Spade, Paul McCartney, Michael Bolton

Volume 5
    Mariah Carey Butterfly 1997, No Doubt Don't Speak 1996, Alanis Morissette Hand In My Pocket 1995, Spice Girls Wannabe 1997, Garbage Special 1999, Jewel Who Will Save Your Soul 1997, Hanson Mmm Bop 1997, Beck Where It's At 1997, Snoop Doggy Dog Snoop's Upside Upside Your Head 1997, Metallica Fuel 1997, Garth Brooks Two PiƱa Coladas 1998, Dave Matthews Band What Would You Say 1995, Backstreet Boys All I Have To Give 1999, Ricky Martin Livin' La Vida Loca 1999, Paula Cole I Don't Want To Wait 1998

Plus Sketches starring Matthew Broderick, Will Ferrell, Paula Abdul, Jon Lovitz, Kevin Spacey, Beck, Michael Palin, Garth Brooks, Joshua Jackson

Best,
    Aaron

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Aaron, thanks a lot!

mud-

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Disc 5 is really bad but the rest looks good.

9. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Why Rape Me from Nirvana instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit or Heart Shaped Box? Defies logic to me. Hopefully this sells well and they do another 5 disc volume.

Aaron

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Did Zappa ever play SNL?

Jim W.

11. bartels76

Zappa hosted and I think played as well around teh Sheik Yerbouti era. I read he was one of the worst hosts in history because he played it up in front of the camera during the skits. Lorne Michaels was pissed.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Shawn, Mudbone -- Thanks. That Oct 78 episode hosted by Zappa is starting to come back to me. Well, *I* thought he was funny.

Jim W.

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jim, I checked that website. They had as musical guests the Stones, Devo, and Zappa for three weeks in a row. Wow! Great times.

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yep. Never thought I'd feel nostalgic for the late-70's!

Jim W.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember Zappa appearing in a Halloween-themed Coneheads sketch. I think he was dating daughter Connie Conehead.:laugh:

This is indeed a DVD release of the specials that appeared on VH1, although there are more performances on each disc than I recall from watching the shows.

If they've got the Jagger/Ackroyd "Tom Snyder" sketch, why not the Stones musical performance as well?:confused: :(

17. bartels76

I've read 2 books on SNL It's nice to use my otherwise useless SNL knowledge one in a while.

:D

Stones played on the show around the Some Girls era but their performance was awful due to partying with Belushi all week. They were fried for the live taping.

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Maybe they'll include the bit where Lorne Michaels makes his on-air offer to the Beatles to reunite.

Jim W.

19. bartels76

I hope these are the complete performances. The VH1 special only showed segments of each one.

20. bartels76

It was on the special so it should be on this.

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hey Shawn, not to say you didn't do a great job here cause you did but, remember, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile!

:laugh:

22. bartels76

It would be nice if other shows did this like the Tonigt Show. Carson is sitting on these old tapes and he could totally release them. He had some great artists over the years too. Actually if you want an old show you have to order one through his website for $ 100 a piece!!!

Lettermen could too!

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Didn't Jagger lick Ron Woods' face while they were playing?

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

He did. It was said to have horrified NBC exec Fred Silverman, in the audience that night.

I wish they had included Kate Bush's performance in the set. It's such a rarity.

Evan

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I only saw it once when it was first broadcast. IIRC, Kate looked really nervous at first, and then loosened up a bit. Great performance none-the-less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.