So "Back to Black" on vinyl sounds like @#$ ... (Amy Winehouse)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I had two versions of this album - which I like very much - on CD. I thought the "deluxe version" sounded slightly better than the regular CD version. Anyway, I walked into a record store yesterday and there it was on vinyl. A U.S. pressing, 2006. I thought this must surely be an even better-sounding version. Laid out my $17 and took it home. Bleech. One of the worst-sounding piece of vinyl I own. Awful. Crunchy, recessed midrange. Does a good-sounding LP of this album exist?

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

UK is better.

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

U.K is way better!

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Agreed... I forgot the "way" part in my response. :laugh:

For me, it's better than the deluxe CD version that is mastered quieter. The UK LP is the only way to go for this album. Besides, it's the correct tracklist... I still have no idea why they left "Addicted" off the US version.

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

We probably need "Amy Winehouse" in the thread title, btw. :shh:

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'll also chime in to say that the UK sounds great. :D

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I didn't figure out what record he's talking about until post #3...heh...

8. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I have the UK vinyl, sounds great, far better than the CD.

9. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

Agreed. UK LP is way better and "Addicted is a must have Amy song. I hope she's doing better and will conquer all of her problems. Don't know if she could ever follow up "Back To Black" with an album as good as that one.

10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Is the UK pressing still in print?

11. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Glad you changed the title. When I first started reading this, I was thinking "why would anyone buy a 2006 US pressed Back in Black on vinyl?

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

CD of this one hurts my ears, UK vinyl feels much better. :love:

14. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Amy Winehouse hurts my eyes

15. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Then don't look at her, just listen. A phenomenal vocalist. All the other crap, I just ignore.

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I am sure the UK is in print still...

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion over the thread. But what are we confusing it with? Not the AC/DC album. Isn't that album "Back IN Black" not "Back to Black"?

Anyway, before I lay out $29 for a 180 gram pressing, are we sure this sounds better? Reading around, I see that some attribute the album's bad sound to artifacts and distortion added by the producer to give the album a vintage sound. Is that a fact. If so, then I would guess no pressing, no matter how good, isn't going to change that. I'm just worried about throwing $30 down the drain after $16 for the U.S. I'm-a-Frisbee pressing.

18. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's because and entire vinyl reissue series put out by Universal is called "Back To Black"...
    That is the confusion...

19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

You're not going to get an audiophile LP, if that's what you're asking. It does have a production that some people don't like.

The music is great. The best place to hear it, IMHO, is the UK LP. I like it better than the Deluxe CD. YMMV.

20. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The UK issue is very good. Don't know about the others.
    Pity about the thumping drum machine/whatever the whole way through. Destroy a lot of the impact of her vocals. Whoever produced it seems to be obsessed with "thump, thump, thump..."

21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I agree completely about the "thump, thump, thump...". That almost ruins it for me. Such great vocals and the rest of the music is fine but that thumping gets old fast.

She has so much potential I hope things go her way and she is able to do more work.

22. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Funny, I just found a UK pressing in Berlin, Germany a couple of weeks ago. It's pressed on heavier, quieter vinyl and has www.gzvinyl.com machine stamped in the deadwax.

Yes, it bests the US pressing.

later, chris

23. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

How does Frank sound on vinyl vs CD?

24. beavy

beavy Forum Resident

Is there a "real" UK pressing available?
    My LP says "Made in the EU" which is quite common for a lot of newer LP releases where no country is directly mentioned.

25. neovibe

neovibe Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, unfortunately I am only reading this after playing this record, to confirm nothing is wrong with my record player (which is how this sounds like...).

Is the FBI warning in the back cover a guarantee it is a US pressing? how can I tell for sure which is which?

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.