So build a vinyl system ONE step up from Crosley etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marsman, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsman

Marsman Forum Resident Thread Starter

So you need to tell people (customers in my record store) that they need to get rid of the all-in-one Crosley , Jensen etc etc. as it is not good for their records .. so what is the next step up? TIGHT BUDGET and NEW.

If you owned a small record store (as i do) what should I sell just to get them out of the all--in-one junk?

This should be interesting and fun

Tim

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Audio-Technica LP120 turntable and a pair of Audioengine A2+ or A5+ speakers. Use an iPhone as the digital source. That should cover pretty much everything a newbie would want.

jason202, Tad, Robert C and 14 others like this.
  3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

What Jlykos said.

Ntotrar and bluemooze like this.
  4. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I'll second the AT LP120. For amplification and speakers, how about a Dayton DTA-120 50wpc integrated for $88 new, paired with Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers for $89.99. I haven't heard the amplifier but Steve Guttenberg of the Audiophiliac recommends it. Total system about $430 bucks. Can't do much better than that for all new gear (although it's not clear from the Amazon listing if the LP120 comes with a cart, so if not, maybe tack on another $30-$50).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

An alternative would be the U-Turn Orbit basic with built in Pluto pre-amp for $249 along with a pair of either Audioengine speakers.

Tad, SandAndGlass, Shak Cohen and 3 others like this.
  6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Nah that's like, about, eight steps up!

Heckto35, SandAndGlass and rischa like this.
  7. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Edit: The LP120 does come with a cartridge.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Addison

Addison Active Member

A nail digging into the record with a paper cone as the loudspeaker :)

Rockos, sirmikael, Manimal and 10 others like this.
  9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

My setup!

AT LP120
    Yamaha AS500 integ. receiver
    Pioneer SP BS 22 LR

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Perhaps it's a greater step up, but a basic U-Turn Orbit can be had for just $200 shipped. The Buyer would have to get an amp/receiver with a MM phono input, but for me that would be a better option than TT + powered speakers for the sonics (and control of them). And as rischa suggested the Pioneer speakers are a great pair for a newbie to start with. I used them myself for a while when I got back into vinyl a few years ago after a long fallow period (they now reside in my HT system). One other thing about the U-Turn Orbit, the Plus version is now sold by Barnes &Noble in Black or White. With a coupon of 15 to 20% off it's a great deal on the upgrade with the acrylic platter and better cartridge.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

rega rp1. denon dp300f. project elemental. or get some second hand ones and recondition them.

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Oh I agree its a major step up and could be the NEXT step but the OP stressed ONE step up which I interpreted more as being the next worse...and still sold on amazon. o_O May possibly involve clockwork?

13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

As many of the replies hinted at, a step up in cost can be many steps up in quality. I'm not really up to speed on the new entry level stuff, but I believe for under 200.00 a table many times better than the Crosly can be had. Of course amp, speakers/headphones needed as well. I think Parts Express has all the components that could be put together for a nice starter system. You might see what they have. You may consider setting up a little system in the store if possible so people could hear the difference. I would like to think most Crosly owners would immediately hear the difference.
    On a side note I drive by the Crosly headquarters 2 or 3 days a week. I am on my way to one of 4 record stores during lunch. A local paper did an article a while back. Apparently they design 1K-plus tables , but none like that on the market as of yet. One store I was at had a Crosley branded table playing on the counter. It resembled a MusicHall and had a carbon fiber arm, with what looked like an A/T cart. It looked nice and was kind of a cranberry color. This was at night and the clerk knew nothing other than it was around 400.00, but not for sale.

14. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

A budget table with a $50 cart through an inexpensive receiver's phono preamp won't sound as good as a budget cd player. Easy enough to test if you have a cd and LP of the same record. But if you are just spinning thrift shop scores for fun, it is good enough.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That's pretty funny. :laugh:

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I think this is what you saw at Crosley:
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content/big-news-crosley#MhKXYVMy8oYclpkL.97

17. Does it *have* to be new? There's always gear to be had at estate sales and on craigslist. My Sherwood RX-4109 was just $15 at the tail end of a local tag sale. The Technics SB-G400 speakers $50 on craigslist. There are similar deals to be had if you are willing to put in the effort and dig a little. Especially at the beginnings and ends of uni semesters.

18. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

The ATLP 60 would be the cheapest option a step before the ATLP120

19. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Anything's better than a Crosley.

Poison_Flour likes this.
  20. Jeff8086

Jeff8086 Forum Resident

No, there are a lot of TT's that are the same as Crosley, including the ATLP 60.

Rockos likes this.
  21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

What's a Crosley?

22. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

23. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Good recommendation, but don't think the OP could sell that in his store. Isn't that an online direct type of thing?

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Absolutely wrong. Crosleys are all in one units usually with 7" platters. An AT-LP has a full sized platter and can be connected to better amplification and speakers. They're very different.

One good step up in quality from a Crosley is a AT-LP60 with a Sony STR-DH130 stereo receiver and really ANY pair of decent bookshelf speakers would be leaps and bounds above the ones built into a crosley.

The lump price is in the ballpark of $300 though, and that might scare some people into sticking with what they have.

Also, Marsman, whatever you sell, make sure that you have the system set up in the store so people can hear the obvious difference. Nothing sells a system better than letting it speak for itself.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  25. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I bought everything in my set-up for less than 250$, sounds crazy I know but check it out.

- Any mass market Made in Japan DD turntable, this is really broad but these are all good preforming turntables.
    I have a bottom of the barrel JVC QL-A200 that works wonderful. (I spent 90$ on my JVC, it came loaded with a Shure M92E and I later upgraded the stylus to a 15$ Jico stylus. So that would make this 105$ with the stylus)

- Pioneer receiver, these are still really common and they work very well, though I would recommend recapping, cleaning the contacts and switches and heating up the solder joints again to avoid any problems.
    I have a Pioneer SX-680, goes for 80-90$ normally but I won an auction and got a working one for 42$.

- Any loudspeakers from the 70s or 80s.
    I bought some Panasonic loudspeakers for 10$.

Donniej likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.