So build a vinyl system ONE step up from Crosley etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marsman, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Absolutely! This is the route the OP should be suggesting to his clients.

TheVU and Donniej like this.
  2. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Yeah I agree, if a 15 year old can save up for all that then the common working man can afford it.

troggy likes this.
  3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Not if he's actually in the business of trying to make money by offering something that he can keep in stock, it isn't! ;)

4. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Righto--the first time I read his post I thought he was just looking for systems to suggest to his customers. Although, one of the record stores here in town sells used equipment and seems to do quite well.

5. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

U-Turn Orbit
    U-Turn Pluto Phono Preamp
    Elac B5's
    I am fairly certain U-Turn would work with you on a wholesale type of deal to be able to at least make some profit off the tables and amp, they are wonderful people to deal with. The speakers, just a suggestion for budget bookshelves.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Crosleys are cheap, under $100, all-in-one units. One step up would still be under $200, and it still needs to be really simple.
    A setup with TT/amp/speakers is going to be intimidating to the usual Crosley buyer.

I'd go with:
    • AT-LP 60, $97
    • M-Audio AV32, $80
    And money leftover for some records. Or sell them an overpriced RCA cable to make a bit more! Haha.

7. Lebowski

BTW, where's your shop? My father lives in Plymouth, and I come down that way sometimes.

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

My local is selling U-Turns. You probably could too.

Vinyl Addict and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Right, they're made in Boston. That's what, 40 miles from Plymouth?

10. Lebowski

They're in Woburn, just a little farther north.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Duly noted. I understand that they're selling at some record shops in the area now. I wonder how that's going?

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

[​IMG]

troggy likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Music Hall MMF 2.2 Belt Driven Turntable with Cartridge, Gloss Black - $299.00
    Rolls VP29 Phono Preamp $48.99

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. It's an old stadium in Cincinnati, but that's not important right now. :)

15. Marsman

Marsman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lebowski and Vinyl Addict like this.
  16. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Bing Crosley:laugh:

17. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

If our goal is indeed ONE STEP UP from an all-in-one Crosley that plays records for about $80 (link), I would propose these criteria –

CRITERIA
    • Less than $160 for the entire system (twice the cost of the Crosley)
    • Will “do no harm” if properly set up
    • Will be a clear improvement over the Crosley in sound quality
      • Not “hifi”, not “audiophile”, just a clear improvement
    • No DIY solutions – just plug and play.
    • Components easily available NEW from Amazon, retail stores, etc. – something that could be stocked and sold in a record store. No Craigslist deals here.
    A tough order! The U-Turn and The Audio Technica AT-LP120 are disqualified immediately, both costing $200 or more before adding in a preamp (for the U-Turn), amp, and speakers. The AT-LP60 is a feasible component, but you can't adjust antiskate or stylus pressure, can't replace the cartridge, etc., so I think some folks are concerned it might hurt records. I returned mine for that reason, though I can tell you that it sounded pretty good while I had it.

Here then, is my proposal, based on the above criteria. Note that I have NOT heard any of these components myself except for the amp. I am basing my analysis on specs, reviews, and audio forum chatter.

Turntable
    Get a Pyle. There two feasible models that will both get us “in the ballpark”, depending on whether you USB and/or a built-in preamp. I would think either would be markedly superior to a Crosley.
    • Pyle PLTTB1 (FIRST CHOICE)
      • Has a dust cover, adjustable counterweight and anti-skate, universal cartridge headshell, and adjustable pitch control
      • Pre-amp is NOT built in, no USB output
      • Cost: $69 shipped from Amazon (link)
    • Pyle PLTTB3U (SECOND CHOICE)
      • Has a dust cover, adjustable counterweight and anti-skate, universal cartridge headshell, and adjustable pitch control
      • Pre-amp is built it, includes USB output
      • Positively reviewed by at least one user on Audiokarma (link)
      • Appears to be almost the same table as the PLTTB1 above but with preamp and USB
      • Cost: $89.99 shipped from Amazon (link)
    Phono PreAmp
    If you go with the PLTTB1, you will need a separate preamp, which is actually a bit more cost effective and will help us just hit our goal. You do have to get a crappy one (the usual recommendation of the ART DJ PRE II is too expensive in this context) – so let’s just pick this Pyle on Amazon for $13.95 – The Pyle Pro PP444 (Link). It can’t be any worse than the built-in one on our other turntable option, right?

Amp
    The Lepai 2020 is still well regarded as a cheap amp of choice. I used one in the living room for a while and I can confirm that it sounds just fine. It’s available for $25.88 shipped from Amazon (link).

Speakers
    We are nearing the end of our budget, so there’s only one commonly-suggested option that I am aware of – a pair of Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers, currently available on Amazon for $46.75 (link). CNET wrote a positive review on them several years ago (link) and I am not aware of any other clear options in the under $50 price bracket.

Misc
    We’ll need speaker wire and interconnects, right? Let’s say that’s $4 - this is a reasonable assumption, since you can get a 100 foot roll of 16 gauge from Amazon for $10.99 (link) and an RCA cable for $2 (link). If I owned a record shop, I’d sell it by the foot at a modest markup so burgeoning audiophiles don’t need to buy a whole spool of the stuff.

SUMMARY

Turntable:
    Pyle PLTTB1 for $69
    Preamp: Pyle Pro PP444 for $13.95
    Amp: Lepai 2020A+ for $25.88
    Speakers: Dayton Audio B652 for $46.75
    Speaker Wire and Interconnects: Generic, call it $4

TOTAL FUNCTIONING SYSTEM COST: $159.88

If you want the USB output very very much, you could get the Pyle PLTTB3U instead, use the built in preamp, and come in just above budget at ~ $166.

I expect this setup would provide a very satisfying experience for the vinyl novice – the music would almost certainly sound better, the act of hooking up all the gear would provide serious tactile satisfaction (remember when you first set up your system?), and most importantly, I don’t think you would destroy your records if you set up your turntable correctly. Now if we stretched our budget to $200 we could do even more with some of the components (especially the pre-amp and amp)…but that’s another story. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    JohnO, KeninDC, shadowlord and 6 others like this.
  18. Chiliarches

I kind of want to try this system now...any thoughts on it or am I just blowing smoke? It took a fair bit of research!

19. Chiliarches

Marsman - did you ever end up making a decision on this?

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If you're so into records that you own a record store, how could you possibly not know how to advise your customers on this. Did you inherit the store or something? :shake:

21. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

My step up from a Crosley is a Uturn Orbit with a Grado Black and built in preamp plugged into a pair of Audioengine A2+ speakers. Sounds pretty decent and gives me room to upgrade. But I'm at $500+ and you won't sell a lot of those to people who want a sub $100 all in one. I blame the people on this forum for my choices.

22. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I know many great record store owners that know very little or nothing at all about the available modern options for sound systems at any price point. Most of them have a system at home that they have had for years and don't stock any playback gear whatsoever. I think it's great that is doing research to properly inform his customers of their options.

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Dennis0675 and troggy like this.
  24. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I'd say either the Audio Technica AT-LP60 and LP120, U-Turn Basic and Plus, Fluance RT-81, Crosley C10, Pro-Ject Essential, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Out of these I'd go with the U-Turn Basic, easy upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.