So...Chicago is pretty cool.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David-Shea, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I got II when it came out, didn't like it nearly as much as the first. I then heard III. I didn't like it as much as the second. I could see the direction they were going in and it didn't interest me. What is there to argue about? It's just a question of different tastes.

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Then I heard V, it's as good as anything they have done for the past three albums. Then I heard VII, it's as great as the first two albums in different ways.

Gardo, EdgardV, mikedifr0923 and 2 others like this.
  3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

a different but not radically different mix with it's own sound, not terribly opposite the stereo but some talk of the phasing issues with rear channels that me as a lunkhead never really picked up on

Hep Alien and Christopher B like this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Chicago is a band that has a fan base with cut off points for sure:) some only like the 1st, some the first 2, and so on....my cutoff is 7

htbomb and Christopher B like this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

Mine is Chicago XI (1977), the last album with the original lineup and original producer.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    andrewskyDE, Gardo and Christopher B like this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

and some people go even further...so it's great that they can appeal to different audiences

7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That's a good enough cut off date as any although 17 was actually OK for me. I had Hot Streets in my hands today and I swear I couldn't buy, I have an aversion to those last Columbia albums, I find them a bit sad...

8. AudiophilePhil

"Hot Streets" would have been a better album if they continue to work with Guercio as their producer and without the three weakest tracks ("Little Miss Lovin", "Take A Chance" and "Ain't It Time"). If only Terry Kath was still alive in 1978, it would have been another classic album with his guitar, soulful baritone vocals and songwriting. Having said that, I still consider "Hot Streets" as Chicago's strongest post-Terry Kath album that sounds more like a vintage Chicago album.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Hep Alien, Reis, zebop and 1 other person like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Is there a Chicago 15? I don't recall one.

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe the band considers 'Greatest Hits, Volume II' as '15' (or 'XV').

andrewskyDE and JeffMo like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You're better off seeking out Live In Japan. Much better recording.

MikeMig, andrewskyDE and Hep Alien like this.
  12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I just picked up IV and it had all the inserts and everything for $3. Records looked in great shape on the surface, but havent listened yet. Either way, for $3 even if I get two sides out of it its worth it.....had it on CD and always enjoyed it.

I see a bunch of I and II everywhere but they always look so beat up....I really need to find decent copies of these.

Hep Alien and Gardo like this.
  13. mikedifr0923

I have always enjoyed IV. It isnt the greatest sound quality in the world but certainly listenable, its not god awful like some say. The performances are great!

Hep Alien, Gardo and AudiophilePhil like this.
  14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Did it every have every single one?

15. mikedifr0923

Just from memory it looked like it (My dad had it growing up) but I have to double check it against a listing. You certainly couldnt squeeze another thing into that box :D

Hall Cat likes this.
  16. zebop

I do like "No Tell Lover" when I first heard I thought it was a few years older than 1978, great song.

Gardo and AudiophilePhil like this.
  17. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

3 posters, booklet, voter registration info sheet. I've seen a lot copies of this album and all of them missed at least one of those. I bought two cheap copies just to have all of them

18. mikedifr0923

Definitely 3 posters and the booklet....and I am pretty sure I saw the voter registration sheet. You have me curious though, will check when I get home

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  19. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General Thread Starter

I got I and II last Friday night for 3.99 and they're in excellent condition. Not original pressings, but CTA sounded awesome, I'm spinning II right now and it's fidelity is **** like said, but it's a solid VG-VG+ set. Plus I got the poster in II.

Hep Alien, Gardo, Sneaky Pete and 2 others like this.
  20. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I concur that I find CTA beat all to hell when I see them at record shops. I rarely see it in pristine shape unless I wanna buy it from Barnes and Noble

21. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I was lucky that when I bought used records of them, the well-worn jackets on both CTA and II contained some really nice quality records. No surface noise or skips, sounding pristine while appearing to be early '70s pressings. Regardless of sound quality, the songs on those first 2 Chicago records are something truly special, and are worth hearing at least once by every serious music fan.

And for people with excellent taste in music, they're worth hearing much more than once :edthumbs:

andrewskyDE, Hep Alien, Reis and 3 others like this.
  22. zebop

They sound good, I don't know what the best pressing is but I had to get CTA on the 360 label.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  23. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Still waiting for my cut off point. So far, I can usually find something worthwhile on each release. :hide:

NJB

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  24. AudiophilePhil

After a long search, I found an original two-eye Columbia pressing of Chicago II in NM- condition and the quad pressing on vinyl so in NM- condition and they both sound nice in my stereo system. I'm excited to hear the new Steve Wilson remix on vinyl.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  25. AudiophilePhil

My favorite track from Chicago's very first post Terry Kath album is the title cut "Hot Streets" followed by another Lamm track "Love Was New." They both sound very much like Robert Lamm tracks from the preceding albums X and XI except for the absence of Terry's guitar. Kath's replacement Donnie Dacus did a good job in playing his Frampton- influenced guitar licks on the title track.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Hep Alien, gregorya and zebop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.