So does the motor automatically adjust?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

When dealing with record clamps and weights, does the motor automatically adjust for the additional weight when spinning the record?

I’m not talking about any external speed controls, just the regular motor.

Thanks

2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What do you mean by adjust?

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

No different electronic adjustment for extra weight. The motor simply has enough torque or not to operate at proper speed.

timind and thesisinbold like this.
  4. Unless it's a direct drive with some sort of speed monitoring system, like quartz locked, a record weight will slightly slow the turntable down. I have found this with my belt drive turntables. Belts slip, you make the motor work harder and the belt slips even more. This is what a variable speed control is for, besides adjusting for incorrect speed of both the turntable and the record.

vwestlife, timind and thesisinbold like this.
  5. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speed up or slow down.

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

It will run at normal speed. Might take a split second longer to get to speed, if it's a belt drive.

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The impact of an after-market clamp or weight not designed or tested on a specific table on the motor or on a turntable's suspension, if we're talking about a table with a suspension, will depend on the specifics of the motor's torque and the design of the suspension and the weight of the clamp/weight, etc.

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The type of motor typically used in a belt drive turntable is dependent on and proportionate to the frequency of the power supplied to it. The power loops around a shell that contains a magnet on a spindle. The magnet will get in sync with the power supplied to it, regardless of whether the weight or clamp is on or off.

Droogmeister, Mugrug12 and crispi like this.
  9. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Even setting the cartridge down on the record will momentarily slow the platter down. I can see this on my Eagle PSU/Roadrunner Tach.

10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Most higher level VPI's use weights, they were designed that way. They use a more powerful motor than most belt drives. You shouldnt have any issues, but you can contact VPI if you are worried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.