So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

I was stunned I didn't have This one as it is his first song I think of!

Grant likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Hmmm, I might have that Jeff Lorber album. I will have to check! I have picked up a couple of her 45's over the years and I like them. But as far as top ten singles go, hers really flew and continue to fly under the radar for me!

3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

She definitely had a bigger impact on the R&B charts, but also did quite well at Pop, with 4 singles in the top 10 and one that inched up to #12. She's had five #1 singles on the R&B charts. Cherry Red did a great reissue of her debut about a year ago (although many of the bonus tracks are vinyl rips, ugh). My favorites:

"Facts Of Love" and "True Confessions from the Jeff Lorber album Private Passion
    "The Way You Love Me," "Superwoman," "Love Saw It" (with Babyface), and "Secret Rendezvous" from the debut
    "Romantic" and "The Way I Feel About You" from Ritual Of Love

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Maybe Jody Watley is confusing you? Or Shanice? All around the same time period.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

His biggest hits were in the early 80s before you ever heard of him.

Juggsnelson and Retro Hound like this.
  6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

As far as I know, the 45 is just an edit but I don't own a copy of the single.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll have to compare them.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Think I will do the same... I'll play every 45 I have too.

That would be... one. :)

But I do have 2ea 45 adapters.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Well we are dying to know.......what is the ONE you have?

10. Juggsnelson

Freddie Jackson- Love Is Just a Touch Away/"Sonata Version"
    Freddie posing without a suit on!
    This single from 1986 Didn't make much of an impact. A fine ballad but nothing sensational.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Freddie Jackson-Tasty Love/I Wanna Say I Love You
    This minor hit reached #41 in the USA and #73 in the UK in 1986. Freddie's collaboration with Paul Laurence continued to bring success as this was another #1 R&B hit. This is smooth....almost too smooth. As with a lot of his records, I find myself needing a little more grit or edge to the proceedings. Well executed on all fronts but I don't really feel it. Still, it is well done and it grows on you after a couple of listens.
    [​IMG]

Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Freddie Jackson- Look Around (edit)/I Can't Let You Go (edit)
    A non charting single on the pop charts from 1987. A minimalistic tune that lets Freddie's voice carry the day and he is up to the task. Some fine background vocals and a decent melody help frame it out. One of his better singles IMHO.
    [​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

Freddie Jackson- Nice 'N' Slow
    PROMO
    This hit #61 in the USA and #56 in the UK in 1988. Yet another #1 R&B hit, This is a mid tempo number that hits the mark. As the decade went on, Freddie's music became less stuck in the 80's and more of an update to classic soul sounds. More reliant on vocals than keyboard effects and drum machines. All the better for it too.
    [​IMG]

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I havent done this in awhile......... Its fun :) (Playing every 45 one after the other)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Freddie Jackson- Hey Lover (edit)/Look Around (edit)
    Freddie's next single was also an R&B #1 in 1988. They couldn't find another picture of Freddie for the sleeve? A slow burner, I like this one a lot. The Dont Let Love Slip Away LP is probably his finest work.
    [​IMG]

16. Juggsnelson

You definitely have to be in a certain mindset but it is a lot of fun to zip through songs you already know across every genre of music. Just as satisfying as taking in an entire LP in a single sitting for me!

Dude111 likes this.
  17. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Nice run of Freddie Jackson singles. I remember his first album was a pretty big crossover as well. Luther Vandross reportedly had a big distaste/jealousy of Mr. Jackson's success. Then, despite a consistent run of top ten singles at R&B, the follow up records never seemed to get played at pop radio. I did hear "Jam Tonight" briefly which was the only song post the Rock Me Tonight era to scrape the top 40. For awhile, he even looked like he'd be a threat to Stevie & Aretha as far as the most soul chart toppers, racking up ten by 1991 but then he suddenly just stopped having hits after 1992's #2 hitting "I Could Use A Little Love Right Now." He kept switching labels to no further success. Shame, as I always thought most of his Capitol hits were great. Very underrated.

mosogotamravip and Juggsnelson like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Yeah I thought he really hit his groove on that third album. Great production and more reliance on his voice than on synths, drum machines, sound effects etc... The material was very strong as well.

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I think I'll get started on playing my 45's today - virtually a different artist for each 45 > I'll just reach in, not look, and put it on the table - yes, I'll make sure the stylus will be on the plastic!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Do it and post some highlights! Maybe a song you forgot about it or a B-Side that really shines!

CCrider92 likes this.
  21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Have to admit I have few computer tech skills. Right now it's The Who's 45 of Join Together/Baby Don't You Do It.
    Some highlights have been Terry Stafford's Suspicion, Steve Miller's Heart Like A Wheel, FMac's Silver Springs, Mellencamp's acoustic Small Town, and coming up Shirley & Lee Let The Good Times Roll and Tom & Jerry's Hey School Girl - pre Simon & Garfunkel.

Juggsnelson and Retro Hound like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Some great mentions there! Funny, I heard Heart Like a Wheel today and thought what a forgotten hit it was! Catchy tune. That Small Town acoustic B-Side is awesome too!

CCrider92 likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Janet Jackson- Young Love/The Magic is Working
    Janet's debut single, this reached #64 I'm the USA in 1982. This has a little disco feel to it...funky bass part, Nile Rodgers scratch guitar, horn section etc... So organic compared to her Control era tunes. Catchy but it suffers from being a bit repetitive. Janet sings well but hadn't really honed her voice yet to its full potential. A good track though and fun since it was never played to death.
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

Janet Jackson- Come Give Your Love to Me/Forever Yours
    Written by Foster Sylvers, Janet's second single reached #58 in the USA in 1983. This track starts with some guitar and bass laying down a cool groove. Janet would have served this song better a few years later....her voice sounds a bit thin here. Love the melody on the chorus. I'm a bit shocked to see that she never brought this out on tour...she could probably have done a killer live version circa Rhythm Nation.
    [​IMG]

25. Juggsnelson

Janet Jackson-What Have you done for me Lately/He Doesn't Know I'm Alive
    Co Written with Producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, This Grammy nominated track reached #4 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1986. The first single from Control, the lyrics deal with a relationship gone sour much like Jackson's divorce from James DeBarge. I liked this instantly upon hearing it. Great production and some great beats too. I love me some live instruments but Jam/Lewis really know how to use technology to create emotion. From the first note this track makes you listen up. Powerful lyrics about a partner's dissatisfaction and her willingness to do something about it. Great video too featuring choreographer/dancer Paula Abdul.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bobby Buckshot, Grant and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.