So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Peter really was portrayed as the front man here. I remember a couple of the guys being relegated to ambulance drivers and thinking that they must not be happy!

team2 likes this.
  2. team2

team2 Forum Resident

The Clash-Train In Vain/London Calling
    This is such a poppy song for The Clash but what a gem. I seem to remember Mick stating that the "train" in the title refers to the train-like rhythm of the song. Love how Garbage would nick this drum opening years later for "Stupid Girl".

Perfect in every way. Not only my favorite Clash song, but one of my all-time favorites as well. (And, somewhat appropriately, "Stupid Girl" is my favorite Garbage song as well!)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

An all time fave of mine too. There's a great live version out there too....Essential Clash DVD maybe? They just nail it.

team2 likes this.
  4. team2

team2 Forum Resident

The Commodores-Easy/Can't Let You Tease Me
    I love this version but I think I like the Faith No More cover even better. Really!

This is another one where I like the remake just as much as the original. I was DJ-ing in my college radio station in the spring of 1993 when the promo CD single of the Faith No More version arrived. The program director opened it up in front of a few of us, and we were like, "That can't be the Commodores song?!" Sure enough it was, and we were blown away at how sincerely FNM handled the tune. I ended up finding a 7" vinyl copy of the remake -- a favorite to this day...

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

They do some great covers. Awesome live band too. Very underrated!

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't care what anyone says. I like the song, and it's another one that MJ could personally relate to. I'm sure by now that everyone knows the real-life incident he had with a rat or mouse in the family's kitchen. When Joe found out
    Michael was feeding him, he smashed the critter with his shoe right in front of Michael.

But, the band made it clear that they were on board with whatever it took to get them back on the top of the charts.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Christopher Cross-Ride Like the Wind/Sailing
    "Ride Like the Wind" sounds ominous and frantic right from the get go. The Michael McDonald backing vocals are aces (remember the SNL skit where he kept running back into the recording booth to sing his line?) and really take the song up to another level. This 45 sounds great....

I remember that skit -- very funny. Here's an Onion article from many years ago that also sent up the song:
    https://entertainment.theonion.com/christopher-cross-finally-reaches-mexican-border-1819565056

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Cutting Crew-One For the Mockingbird (remix)/Mirror and a Blade (live)
    This sounds like a faster paced "(Never Again) The Dancer" by Flock of Seagulls. That is a high compliment as I think that song is genius!!!! The whole Cutting Crew LP "Broadcast" is a must own for fans of 80's pop/rock.

Another great lost single of the 80s that barely scraped the Top 40. Too bad it got ignored in between "I Just Died" and "Been In Love Before." The same thing happened with "Hyperactive" by Robert Palmer -- a brilliant song overshadowed by "Addicted To Love" and "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On."

Surly and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

I always loved "Hyperactive". I have my Mom that cassette the Christmas of '85 or '86 I think. She played it to death. Great album and Robert has an amazing catalog.

Surly and team2 like this.
  10. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I'm doing a similar thing now. I'm in the process of transferring all my vinyl to .wav files on the computer, using Audacity and a Behringer adapter. I've been doing this for over 3 months now and have already copied over 2,000 songs. I'm really enjoying listening to everything again - I guess we all have music that sometimes goes a few years between listens. I'm really enjoying this project.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Blue (screen) Monday how I hate Blue (screen) Monday

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Very nice! When you have as much music as us forum members have, great songs can fall between the cracks for sure.

team2 likes this.
  13. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

It's an ongoing chore that I enjoy.
    Copying my old 45's to CD.
    THE ones in v. g. condition go straight to disc 1:1 via my Tascam CD burner. The ones that have ticks and pops get ripped as a WAV. file then manually cleaned up with my NCH WAVEPAD software..
    Yesterday I found some gems in mint cond. incl - "Sweet Liu-Louise" by Iron horse, "Send My Love" by the Adventures, "Summer Song" by Jennifer Ryall, "The Writing On The Wall" by Alf Garnett.
    When I originally bought these 45's my hi-fi was pretty ordinary but now listening through a better system these old 45's have been given a new life

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Juggsnelson

They can sound amazing right? No Ironhorse 45's but I love the album I have of theirs. Not familiar with Jennifer Ryall.....time to remedy that!

15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

This sounds like something I should consider doing. The idea of having all those songs at my fingertips is very enticing.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Juggs, I thought you'd like to "meet" my collection. As of today, it's 977 singles. 728 are ones that I've collected myself, while the remaining 249 were inherited from my late father's and late uncle's collections, or "adopted" from a stash that a friend of the family gave me.

In the second photo, I thought you'd enjoy seeing some random picture sleeves. :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trace, Dan Steely, PTgraphics and 3 others like this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I seem to remember in Melbourne Don't Stop Til You Get Enough was #1, Rock With You was #2 and She's Out of My Life was #3 and, supposedly, those three songs were outselling every other single on the chart 20 to 1.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Very nice!!!! I only have one of those pic sleeves! Love the Yardbirds a and Weezer. Very cool. Here is a pic of my 45 cabinet.
    [​IMG]

Trace, ChrisInKansas, Bob J and 5 others like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

I believe it! Reminds me of Barry Gibb In 1977. One week in March he had written 4 of the top 5 songs. He also wrote 4 consecutive number one singles...a record that still stands I believe.

Mylene likes this.
  20. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Very cool!! I usually don't see 45's stored on a shelf like that the way LP's usually are. I see your Rush "Road Case" CD sets at the bottom there! I have One and Two, but never got Three.

I splurged on that mint copy of the Yardbirds sleeve about 10 years ago, and the Weezer "Buddy Holly" I snapped up when it came out in '95...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I knew a girl named Candida in grade school, and at so young an age, I assumed it was a common name. As the years went by, I never met anyone else with the same name, and then realized how rare it was. At our 10-year high school reunion in the late-90s, I had the chance to finally ask her, "Did your parents name you after the Tony Orlando song?" She said, "I guess. It must have been a 70s hippie thing!"

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Well you are one Candida ahead of me! A friend of mine did date a Rhiannon for a few years....plus I was married to a Mandy named after the song for a few years.

team2 likes this.
  23. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I was wondering if you had "Looking For Space" in your John Denver singles! Back in August, I finished a three-year screening of the entire Magnum P.I. series -- something I had been wanting to do for over 20 years since I had only caught a handful of episodes during the original run. Wow, that Season 7 finale -- and the way it used this song -- was amazing...

smokeverbs and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I've got the same sleeve, but in green. Wonder if there were any more?

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Either somebody cleared this mystery up or I found an answer on the internet regarding different colors. I would still remember the answer if it didn't take me so long to play my records already!:D

team2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.