So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Def Leppard-Animal/I Wanna Be Your Hero (Non-LP)
    I remember when this came out my friends and I studied the song so closely in order to get the hard to discern lyrics right. Another great riff...I don't get the people that jumped off of the band at this point...yes, the slower songs were lightweight in sound and the rockers didn't quite have the balls of Pyromania but the songs were so good who cared?? Neat video with all of the circus performer footage. Hard to believe this was their highest charting hit in the UK at the time. And yes...another Neil Young reference from "Rust Never Sleeps"!
    "I Wanna Be Your Hero" is a non-LP tune. It is a nice mix of Pyromania and Hysteria sensibilities but definitely falls into the B-Side category.
    [​IMG]

Remy and Grant like this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Pour Some Sugar on Me (edit)/Ring of Fire
    My wife laughs when I describe this as a Girls-out-at-the-bar-song. They always seem to play this along with "You Give Love a Bad Name" and "Brown Eyed Girl". Not my favorite Leppard track but its catchiness is irrefutable. A perfect single for the times. I strongly prefer the "Step Inside...." LP opening to the "Love me like a bomb" single/video version open.
    "Ring of Fire" is not the Johnny Cash song but a Leppard original recorded for B-Side use. This could have replaced "Excitable" or "Love and Affection" om the Lp for me. A bit of a Pyromania feel on this one which is nice. Quality tune and worth tracking down....just get the deluxe Hysteria 2CD set. I actually like this better than "Pour Some...".
    [​IMG]

Grant likes this.
  3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

After seeing this one, I was hoping to see a couple of his other songs in your collection, such as "Don't Pay The Ferryman," "Ship To Shore," "Fire On The Water" (from the same album as "Lady In Red")," or my favorite, "High On Emotion." Now I'm going to have to go play those songs!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

"Don't Pay the Ferryman" is a personal favorite but I just don't have the 45!!!!! I do have the LP though:) Great song! Can't say I ever really explored his other works....I need more time in the day!

Surly likes this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Hysteria/Ride Into the Sun (Non-LP)
    It may borrow a bit of the melody to Floyd's "Goodbye Blue Sky" but this is still a masterpiece IMHO. The guitar playing is just excellent. A buddy of mine plays along incorporating various parts of this song on the guitar and it is just stunning....you don't even need vocals or other instruments. "Shimmering" is the best adjective to use. Love the guitar during the chorus...Clark and Collen really compliment each other here. And once again, a bridge from heaven. In reality, I could probably spin this ten times in a row and not tire of it one bit.
    "Ride Into the Sun" is a rewritten/re-recorded song from their first EP and you can see it in the song structure for sure. Straight-Ahead rock and pretty good at that.
    [​IMG]

vinyl13 and Rick H. like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Lol...."Stood 6 foot 6 and weighed 105!" Pretty funny stuff....

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's better known than Big John here. The DJs loved novelty records.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Novelty records are ok as long as they are clever and not strictly stuck in the moment. This one stands the test of time for me although it may be a bit non-PC these days.

9. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Love Bites/Billy's Got a Gun (live)
    Definitely my least favorite single from the album although it is an ok track. Amazingly enough, this is their only #1 hit in the USA. I had (have) no problem with the polished sound of this album but this track seems a little too synthesized and inorganic for even me. Again...it's good just not great like the other singles from the LP.
    "Billy's Got a Gun (live)- Recorded in the Netherlands on the Hysteria tour, that sees Joe in fine voice. Sav holds down the bottom end nicely and I believe that is Steve Clark on the first solo and Phil on the second. A solid rendition.
    [​IMG]

10. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Armageddon It/Release Me
    A bit retro in a Tron sort of way, I still really like the artwork on the Lp and the singles sleeves from it.
    This single reached #3 and probably wouldn't have gotten that high if not for the momentum of the previous singles....not because it isn't a great song but to me it just doesn't seem overly pop-radio friendly. I really like the riff a lot!! Some really nice layered playing in spots. One of the best on the LP. The wordplay on the lyric is a bit silly but when it kicks into the killer chorus all is forgiven!!
    "Release Me" is credited to Stumpus Maximus and the Good 'Ole Boys which really consists of guitar tech Malvin Mortimer and the Leps backing him up. Certainly not essential listening but it shows their good sense of humor!
    [​IMG]

11. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Let's Get Rocked/Only After Dark UK ISSUE
    I feel that the out of date before it even aired animated video clip gives this song a bad rap....except in the UK where it hit #2. The guys seem to be in on the joke and tongue is lodged firmly in cheek when "ROCK" is used in place of another four letter word several times throughout the song. Seeing as the band was dealing with the death of Clark at the time, this bit of amateurish fun probably was a nice escape for them. Still played in concert today, the tune holds up well (even if the video doesn't!)
    "Only After Dark" is a Mick Ronson song the guys recorded to honor him in his ailing health. Sadly, I do not know the original but I like this version for sure!
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Make Love Like a Man/Miss You in a Heartbeat UK ISSUE
    Another single that showcases the humor of the band although the lyrics are a tad immature. It is a fun listen though and the riff is solid!
    "Miss You in a Heartbeat" is a Phil Collen tune penned for and recorded by the Paul Rodgers band The Law. This version is different from the band versions (acoustic, piano, and electric) found on the Retroactive compilation and the Phil Collen demo version found as the B-Side to the "Action" single coming up next on this thread. Out of all the Leppard versions and The Law version I prefer the acoustic version on Retroactive although this less produced electric version found here is nice as well.
    [​IMG]

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I'm not a DL fan so I'm no expert, but I believe if you put together all of the singles they form a picture, right? Do you have all of the singles from that album and if so, have you tried putting them together? If so, you should post a picture of that! Even though I don't like the music, I still think it's a cool concept - U2 have done this type of thing before, too.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Juggsnelson

I am missing Women and Rocket although I think I have the 12" single for each of those.....let me check it out later tonight! I remember they did a thing like that with all of the CD singles from the Adrenalize LP. There was a patterned board that came with holders for all of the discs where the discs and the background imaging on the holder made a picture. Pretty neat...I remember debating about picking it up on Ebay years ago.

Clanceman and Surly like this.
  15. Juggsnelson

You were spot on (as usual!). Here is the link to the photo. Besides the 7 picture sleeve singles released from the Lp you also needed two additional prints sold in a limited "Love Bites" UK box set to create the cover photo from the Hysteria LP.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=def...ture-sleeves-showcase-more-than-music;540;540

Surly likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Wow!!!

Clanceman, team2 and Dan Steely like this.
  17. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I remember reading in Billboard the original plan was to release 9 (!) singles from the album (which would have been a record) so the sleeves would completely make that picture. For some reason they stopped after 7.

There are several albums that had 7 physical singles released from them, but the record-holder is 8. Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" had 8 singles - 7 charters and "Gone Too Soon", which didn't chart.

Mylene, Juggsnelson and Surly like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Def Leppard-Action/Miss You in a Heartbeat (Phil's Demo) UK ISSUE
    This is a cover of The Sweet tune and it is a great choice. The Sweet obviously influenced Def Leppard quite a bit and this is one of their catchiest singles. Taken from the odds and ends Retro Active disc which is a very underrated in the Leps discography.
    "Miss You in a Heartbeat" is featured here in Phil Collen's original demo form. Written for and recorded by Paul Rodger's band The Law, this song is a winner in all of it's multiple formats (demo, acoustic, electric).
    [​IMG]

Clanceman likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

The DeFranco Family-Heartbeat-It's a Lovebeat/Sweet Sweet Loretta
    The all sibling group hailing from Canada, this was their biggest hit peaking at #3 on the billboard hot 100. Similar in sound to the Osmond's singles of the era although to me its a notch or two below in quality. Tony DeFranco's voice can't hold a candle to Donny Osmond's or especially Michael Jackson's.
    [​IMG]

greelywinger and Mylene like this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Desmond Dekker and the Aces-Israelites/My Precious World
    An early ska hit single...it hit #9 in the USA and #1 in the UK. My father loves this song so I heard it numerous times growing up. I'm not a huge reggae fan but this one is hard to resist. This copy is not the greatest....it distorts a bit on the high end. Guess my go to will be the CD from now on until I pick up a cheap replacement.
    [​IMG]

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I still can't understand a single word of that song,

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Delaney and Bonnie and Friends-Soul Shake PROMO
    A modest hit, it reached #43 in 1970. Great "friends" on this LP....Little Richard, Bobby Whitlock, Duane Allman, King Curtis etc..) This boogie chugs along at a nice pace and the rhythm section is a treat. Same can be said for the horns. "Soul Shake" is a very apropos title!
    [​IMG]

Retro Hound and Mylene like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Funny you say that.....for the first time ever I looked up the lyrics and read along as I listened to the 45. I think I was about 50% accurate which is pretty poor considering the number of times I have heard this song!

Mylene likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Delaney and Bonnie and Friends-Never Ending Song of Love/Don't Deceive Me
    By far their highest charting hit in the USA coming in at number #13 in 1971. An acoustic sing along, it kind of reminds me of "Give Peace a Chance" a little bit.
    [​IMG]

Retro Hound likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

The Delfonics-"Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)/Down is Up, Up is Down
    Produced and written by Thom Bell so you know it is gonna be good! A deserving Grammy winner.....the "Didn't I do (think) it baby" part following each line of the verse and also repeated during the horn/string interlude is the payoff for me. Great bridge too.....a near perfect R&B single. I sometimes forget how great this is until I give it a spin.
    "Down is Up, Up is Down" is a bit of a letdown following the A-Side but what song wouldn't be?? Admittedly I usually like the slower tempo R&B tunes the best and this one has some pep to it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.