So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I always loved Harpers Bizarre's version. I never liked Simon & Garfunkel's original. The mono single mix runs slower than the stereo mix, and has stronger drums.

I never put it together that the chorus rips off "Papa Don't Preach". I guess Madonna didn't care enough to sue. This song was kind of nice for about five minutes. His voice gets on my nerves. His wardrobe? Well, he is gay...

There's not much more anyone can say about this one! The production is stunning, IMO, the best thing Phil Spector ever did. His wall-of-sound is the best part for me. Like Mylene says, the best part is when the drums kick in. I also like the long ad-lib part after the instrumental break.

I have very fond memories of this song. I first heard it on the car radio while on vacation in L.A. during Christmas of 1970. Every time it came on the radio, which seemed like every station we turned to, we turned it up. It fit right in the Jesus pop music fad which was just starting up with other songs like "Put Your Hand In The Hand", "Spirit In The Sky", "Are You Ready", "Superstar", and "Day By Day". I always have to play it at least twice in a row.

Well, it sounds like 1979 to me! My biggest memory of the song was hearing it on the our high school band room's stereo. We always had the radio on after we were done with practice for the day, and it seemed like this song was in heavy rotation. I never really listened to the lyrics. I just assumed it was a love song. Still, one of his most memorable songs, and it's from one of his best albums. It's yet another one of those songs that I have to play at least twice in a row.

I was also going to mention Weird "Al" Yankovic's "(This Song's Just) Six Words Long" parody from his "Even Worse" album. Genius! "I know that you're already sore that I didn't write anymore!" :D

This single, and the next one "This Is Love" were the two that made me break down and buy the "Cloud Nine" CD. The lyrics are light, but I could totally hear The Beatles recording it in that alternate universe where John had lived, and they four had gotten back together on good terms.

BTW, I never saw the video for this song, as I had stopped watching MTV a year earlier. Ringo and George Martin also played on Paul McCartney's "Take It Away". I always wondered what it would have been like had George not been so angry with Paul after the break-up.

O Don Piano, Mylene and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. If this song is from 1984 than he should sue Madonna. Papa Don't Preach is from 1986.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Grant

The song came out in 1987, a year after "Papa Don't Preach" did.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

We agree quite a bit on thes
    Agreed that the Harper's Bizarre blows away the original. I wish O h a d
    Agreed. Madonna really does borrow the chorus.

5. Grant

Uh...I said after. Madonna's song came first.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Sam Harris' song really is from 1984:

[​IMG]

7. Grant

Oh sh--! My memory is off on that one! OK...yeah, now I remember! It was indeed at the end of 1984. I have that 45 and I remember I pretty much stopped buying them in 1987. Sorry 'bout that! OK, so maybe the songwriters of "Sugar Don't Bite" decided that they weren't going to go up against Madonna, or they quietly paid them off.

8. Juggsnelson

I think Sam's tune came out first! I just saw the previous posts on this one. Agreed that Madonna's people must have paid a little cash to make the similarity go away.

Grant likes this.
  9. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I remember my dad (born 1946) was really disappointed in George when this one came out. He didn't like it at all. Too slick.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

I totally get that. I remember my Mom being excited because it seemed like George was off the radar for awhile.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Gone Troppo (The album before Cloud Nine) got zero publicity and zero airplay. It must be the most obscure album in a major artists catalogue.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Grant

Huh??? Most of George Harrison's solo output has been "slick", or commercial!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Retro Hound

With my dad commercial isn't the issue, but Jeff Lynne's 1980s production was very "slick" or "synthesized" sounding compared with the 1970s sound.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Grant

I guess he has a different definition of what "slick" is, I guess. I call easy rock slick, and that is mostly what GH is known for.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Madonna didn't write "Papa Don't Preach"; at that point, she still occasionally recorded material from outside writers. The song was written by Brian Elliot, although Madge did add some additional lyrics.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Retro Hound

That's interesting, I wouldn't call easy rock slick, it has more to do with production values. But I see where you're coming from.

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Bumping this up.
    Looking forward to more 45s from Juggs collection.

Darryl

Juggsnelson, Grant, Surly and 2 others like this.
  18. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I just searched on this thread to do the exact same thing! I love it when @Juggsnelson gets into a groove and posts a bunch of singles in a row. Always fun to look out for songs that I love as much as he does.

c-eling and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

I haven't forgotten....just been super busy!!! I promise to get back in the saddle shortly! Thanks for the bump Darryl!:righton:

c-eling likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

You do have great taste Surly! I will ramp it back up over the next few nights!!!

Surly likes this.
  21. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yep, it's the piano line in the choruses..sounds a little like a melody in the crescendo section of 'Tubular Bells (Part 1)".

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

No, wrong. Only reached #13 in the UK...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I think I have this with a picture sleeve somewhere !!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Easing back in....
    Debbie Harry-Backfired/Military Rap
    The debut solo single from Miss Blondie was pretty disappointing chart wise considering Blondie had just had a few big hits in the previous year. This tune, written and produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of Chic, is appropriately a bit more dance oriented. The intro reminds me of "Love Rollercoaster". I understand Debbie's influence on the rock/rap hybrid scene but I would rather hear her sing! I dig the music here, and Nile's rapping is cool but Debbie's rapping just drags this down for me. Good effort but a swing and a miss for me.
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Debbie Harry- Brite Side/Bugeye UK ISSUE
    This track, which was a major plot point on the TV show Wiseguy (which Harry appeared in) hit #59 in the UK in 1989. Co-produced and co-written with Chris Stein, this is a solid atmospheric ballad. A nice underlying riff and a very strong vocal make you wish this tune had just brought a touch more energy to it....especially at the end where you think Debbie will go out with a sweeping roar only to hear her revert back to the same chorus. A very good song that could have been great.
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Bobby Buckshot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.