So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Great music but the sonics are too trebly on the EMIs. They are system testers because if your in-room treble is peaky rather than flat lined you will be bothered by it on a good system. On my system they are bright but not objectionable but I have very even treble. I think if one could find Ex Liberty vinyl it would be better balanced tonally if with less detail.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

The Hollies-On a Carousel/All the World is Love
    This hit #11 in the USA and #4 in the UK in 1967. A nice Graham Nash lead vocal and some intriguing instrumental flourishes highlight this excellent track. The bass line and the guitar figure in the beginning of the chorus almost seem out of place for a moment....your mind expects them to go in a more traditional chord pattern.....but man does it work! Having heard these tunes a thousand times, it is sometimes easy to take how brilliant they are for granted.
    [​IMG]

3. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Carrie Anne/Signs That Will Never Change
    This hit #9 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1967. Only recently did I come to find that this was written for Marianne Fathful! Carrie Anne seems to be maturing a bit faster than our protagonist and he is in danger of getting left in the dust but he seems to think he will win out in the and. This has a definite island feel to it....even before the steel drums come in.
    [​IMG]

4. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Dear Eloise/When Your Lights Turned On
    This single, not released in the UK, hit #50 in 1967. A great melody and a harmonic bass line which sits nice and prominent in the mix make this tune a great listen. I really dig the trippy open/close of the song.
    [​IMG]

5. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Jennifer Eccles/ The Air That I Breathe
    This track hit #40 in the USA and #7 in the UK in 1968. A bit simplistic but it's carefree sunny pop.
    [​IMG]

6. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Be Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother/Carrie Anne
    This oft covered track reached #7 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1969. The strings really hammer home the sentiment of family not being a burden, even in the toughest of times. This track seems tailor made for a dialogue free scene in a movie. That's Elton John on The fairly mundane piano part!
    [​IMG]

7. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Long Cool Woman (in a black dress)/Look What We've Got
    This track hit #2 in the USA and #32 in the UK in 1972. Allan Clarke it turns out, can do a mean John Fogerty impression! This might actually be my favorite CCR song!! A definite shift in style from previous singles but it sold a ton of 45's. Cool opening riff accented by those gun shot like drum hits. Sweet bass too. Nothing I change about this track....perfect as is.
    [​IMG]

8. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

My favorite Hollies song and one of my favorites in general.

Beattles and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ah! This used to be a "Good time, great oldies" radio staple. Every hour on the hour. One of the very few hits I like from them. The other one is "The Air That I Breathe", which I hope you have.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

This is definitely one hit I don't get burned out on! "The Air That I Breathe" will be getting some play later tonight after the football. Great song and a bit of a current topic with all of the Radiohead "Creep" copyright stuff going on at the moment.

Grant likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-The Air That I Breathe/No More Riders
    This hit #6 in the USA and #2 in the UK in 1974. Cool psych guitar intro! Great melody and chord progression. Nice build up to the chorus. The orchestration is perfectly subtle until it takes center stage in the middle. I love the hard hitting drum fills that play against type a bit. Songwriters Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood reached an out of court settlement with Radiohead over the band copying the melody for their song "Creep". Pretty similar for sure. Oddly enough, now Radiohead is suing Lana Del Rey for ripping off the same melody they "borrowed"!!
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-I'm Down/Look Out Johnny
    This didn't chart in either The US or the UK in 1974. The usual great harmonies. Surprised a bit that This didn't do much. The gang chorus sounds a bit like Badfinger, especially The end where the song fades on the harmonizing.
    [​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Sandy/Second Hand Hangups
    This Bruce Springsteen cover reached #85 in the USA in 1975. The vocal is almost too sweet for the lyrics, especially the verses. It comes across with more sincerity when done in Bruce's raspy whispering. Kind of like the story of Sandy is being told secondhand and not my the person she is involved with. Great story song though.
    [​IMG]

14. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Stop in the Name of Love/Musical Pictures
    This cover of the Supremes classic hit #29 in 1983. The early 80's saw the brief return of Graham Nash. This country-fied version is actually pretty good! Different enough not constantly compare it to the original. It kind of reminds me of how the Spinners remade "Working My Way Back to You" although not quite as amazingly. Still, this is very well done and worth a listen now and again.
    [​IMG]

15. Juggsnelson

Loleatta Holloway-Dreamin'/Worn Out Broken Heart
    This tune from the powerhouse vocalist (That's her on "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark) hit #72 in 1976. Any record with her on it is worth tracking down. Dan Hartman's "Re-Light My Fire" being a prime example. This track closely pre-dates her success on the American dance charts and you can see the genesis of that sound here.
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Bobby Buckshot and Dan Steely like this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Buddy Holly-Peggy Sue/Everyday
    Not a bad 1-2 punch! This reached #3 in the USA and #6 in the UK in 1957. The title refers to drummer Jerry Allison's future wife and boy does he make his mark on This track! He is the engine that makes this song rock on down the track. Cool production technique fading the volume of the drums in and out too. Check out the writing credit on the 45. Holly was only given a co-wrote credit after his death at the request of Allison.
    [​IMG]

team2, GillyT, aoxomoxoa and 5 others like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Eddie Holman-Hey There Lonely Girl/It's All in the Game
    This tune from the former Delfonics and Stylistics member hit #2 in the USA and #4 in the UK in 1974. If only the girl who was just jilted by another man recognized the guy who truly lives her lives just across the street. An often sung theme for sure but Eddie's got some Kendricks type pipes on him that make this ring truer than most.
    [​IMG]

18. Juggsnelson

Rupert Holmes-Him/Get Outta Yourself
    The follow up single to Escape, this track hit #6 in the USA and #31 in the UK in 1980. The two time Tony Award winner sure knew how to paint a vivid story in three and a half minutes. Rupert is caught in a bit of a love triangle here as he finds his lady has been cheating on him (with Him) and he's putting his foot down that "it's either me or him". Hmmm...first Escape and now this.....Rupert just can't seem to find a faithful companion. The tune is smooth as can be and The 45 sounds great. Still, it's missing a little something to make it above average.
    [​IMG]

19. Juggsnelson

The Honey Drippers-Sea of Love/I Get a Thrill
    This cover hit #3 in the USA and #56 in the UK in 1985. Quite the all star cast in this "band".....Plant, Page, Beck, Nike Rodgers, Paul Shaffer, etc... Jimmy Page handles the guitar duties on this track and he turns in a fine solo.Turns out Plant is quite the crooner! Some sweet strings and fine production from Ahmet Ertegun add to the nostalgic vibe. I would have liked for the talked about future album to materialize.
    [​IMG]

20. Juggsnelson

The Honey Drippers- Rockin' At Midnight/Sea of Love
    The other Honeydripper's single topped out at #25 in the USA in 1985. Jeff Beck plays lead guitar on this swinging tune. Beck always plays the perfect notes. Any song he appears on is worth it just to hear him play. Plant is in fine voice and this track gets your toe tappin'. Great sax and piano too....just a whole lot of fun.
    [​IMG]

team2, Surly, Bobby Buckshot and 3 others like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Honeymoon Suite- New Girl Now
    PROMO
    I guess the sleeve artwork indicates that love hurts! Is that an actual maid or a woman preparing for the evenings romance?
    This track from the Canadian rockers reached #57 in the USA in 1984. I still hear this quite a bit on my local rock station. These guys have a lot in common with Loverboy although Loverboy were more reliable in coming up with hooks consistently. Solid chorus here and the keyboards, while present, never threaten to dominate the song.
    [​IMG]

team2, aoxomoxoa and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Honeymoon Suite- Feel It Again/Wounded
    This track, produced by Bruce Fairbairn, reached #34 in the USA in 1986. Although it's their biggest hit, U never here this anywhere anymore. A solid hard driving rock/pop song. Fairbairn's hair metal production style really smoothes the band out and adds some polish. It might neuter the sound a bit but it was perfect for radio.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Grant

I like this song because the lyrics are direct, real, and come from the viewpoint of the average guy, much like Ray Parker Jr,'s songs do.

I gotta remember to get the album "Partners In Crime" one of these days.

Juggsnelson and lpfreak1170 like this.
  24. Grant

This was a huge, huge single, and it was all over MTV.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

This thread is awesome! I've spent the last couple hours reading the whole thing and looking up songs I don't know on Spotify or YouTube. Juggsnelson, you have excellent taste in music. Love the thread. Will definitely continue to follow. Enjoy the 45s!

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.