So I bought an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

.......but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have been a Grado fanboy for many years going back to the wonderfull 8MZ. I've tried different brands in between, but I always returned to the Grado fold. I've had various Shure cartridges, including the V15 Type III, and also some Sumikos like the Blue Point Special Nude. A few years back I purchased a Grado Reference Platinum, which I really liked and thought its performance was well above the pricepoint. It died on me and I have been using an inexpensive Sumiko Pearl to hold me over. I should have bought a lower-end Grado as the Pearl has never been to my liking. But one lives and learns.

Anyway, I was going to get another Grado with the Reference Sonata, but a deal for the Ortofon 2M Black came across my search, and I couldn't pass it up. I had read many reviews about this cartridge and all seemed to point to one thing. The Ortofon 2M Black is simply the best MM cartridge available, bar none. I jumped in and bought it!

Now I'm on pins and needles, as I have really have no idea what to expect. I read the reviews, but I've never heard one before, so I'm sure you can appreciate my nervousness. This is like a blind buy at considerable cost (for me)...hopefully it'll all work out well.

2. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

2M Bronze over here. A truly awesome experience. Enjoy the Black!

VP

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Ortofon have a nice moving-iron motor design that they've stuck with (mostly) for over 40 years, and the 2M is the latest, with improvements.

I've always found them to sound nice and balanced (stunningly good on piano) tonally, not quite up to the Shures on 'staying in the groove' and with nice quality diamond tips that last.
    (I still have a VMS30 somewhere here).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Hands down my favorite mid-priced MM! It needs some break in time, but even out of the box it still sounds pretty freakin' sweet. :D

What kind of protractor do you use for alignment ? I'm trying to remember the Chinese dude that will makes a custom one just for your specific turntable/tonearm. The guy is supposed to have the most accurate ones on the world...

Turntable set-up is an art in itself. I'm getting pretty good at it though. I've set-up several recently for new owners of turntables. I really wanna get excellent and precise at this!!!

Scott Hicks likes this.
  5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

You did well. Relax and enjoy your tunes like you've never heard them before!

6. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Very interested to hear your take on the Black. I also have the Grado Platinum and will have to replace it in the near future, the Black is on my list as well.

7. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I have a 2M Black for about 8 months now, it's mounted on my VPI Scout and it sounds wonderful, you should enjoy it.

Subvet and Scott Hicks like this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've never heard that particular Ortophon, but I definitely think very highly of one of its predicessors, the OM-30 Super.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  9. Johnny Vinyl

I'll be happy to post my take on it after I've lived with it for a few weeks.

What are your thoughts on it? Strengths? Any weaknesses?

10. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the 2M Black when it arrives.

I have a Bronze which mellowed after breaking in.

The Black and Bronze styli are interchangeable so I may just upgrade that way next time.

11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Aready been said here, relaxe and enjoy it when it arrives. I've been using one for almost a year now, it did take a little time to "run" in. Found it so different to the 2M blue it replaced it did take a little to adjust to what it did to the sound, now i can't imagine anything other than this for an MM. I find it sits close to some MC's at near twice the price.
    Its not just piano that it impresses with.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

I'm running a Scout with a Dynavector 20x right now. The 2M Black was my first pick when putting together a plan for a system but the Scout deal almost literally fell in my lap.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the Black stylus (Nude Shibata) pulls in more detail than the Bronze (Nude fine line) which makes it a blessing and a curse

johnny q, SandAndGlass and villock like this.
  14. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Mileage my vary depending on the rest of your system, I'm using it with a Graham Slee ERA V phono preamp connected to a Prima Luna tube preamp. My amps are the Bel Canto REF 500M and Magnepan MMG's Speakers..... The overall sound to me is neutral top to bottom..

This is the highest priced MM cartridge I bought in years but I would also like to try a Dynavector high output MC cartridge when my budget
    allows for comparison. The 2M Black is a very nice cartridge but it certainly will sound different in your system.

15. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

this is the one negative that gets mentioned about the Black; that it accentuates surface noise. strong detail is a must for any cart at that pricepoint ($600), but there needs to be a balance. can anyone with the Black comment on surface noise? I've heard the Bronze in action, but not the Black.

johnny q and honestabe316 like this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Got to agree to that.
    I have a pair of 30.1 Harbeths on the end of my system. These are a lovely match for the 2M Black.

17. Gordon Johnson

The nude shab' is cut really fine. This was designed for use with quad vinyl. It tracks the groove very deep so surface noise is less of an issue. It does mean that cleaning your vinyl goes a long way to improving the resulting sound.

18. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I'm running a 2M Black (Garrard 301, SME M2-10, EAR834P phono stage) and I'd say the surface noise is a little more obvious than the Audio Technica AT33 PTG that preceded it. It's not bad though, and it's a great tracker sounding clean and clear right to end of side. I really like it and don't see it as a step-backwards from the AT MC (which I also really like). I'd put them both at about the same performance level if different in character.

19. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

cool! thanks

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

As a Grado fan, I'm looking forward to hearing how the Ortofon compares.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Give the Goldring 2500 MM a try, it's a great cart!

macster likes this.
  22. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I clean my records with a VPI 16.5 record cleaner when needed and I don't hear any surface noise with the 2M black,
    if I did I would have sold it from the start.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  23. Johnny Vinyl

I'm a Grado fan as well, which is why I am a little bit nervous about the purchase. The thing is, I have heard so many great things about the Black that I couldn't resist the purchase...especially at the price. It'll be fun the hear what differences I notice between it and my former Grado Ref Platinum.

True, but I have committed to this cartridge, so no can do! ;)

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, a mixed blessing on surface noise! I have had mine for 4 years..it is very revealing but you will hear the flaws in your vinyl as well. I also have a vintage Shure v15 type 4 and it doesnt reveal the flaws in my vinyl as much as the black.

25. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Are you running with the original stylus or with a replacement? I had to chuck my original due to dried out suspension, but my experience with the JICO SAS has been very satisfying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.