So I bought an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I moved up to it from a stanton 6i1eee with the 681SE stylus.....so I don't really have a frame of reference to compare a few carts......I think the blacksounds pretty amazing and soundstage direct set the cartridge up for me....I went with it because of the overwhelming reviews of a + nature but then again I have no frame of reference other than a perfectly installed Stanton 6i1eee......my novice ears may just like it because it's better than Stanton.....
    I guess I just want to know what others who like it have noticed about post break in sound

2. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I'm in the exact same position as you - I have about 5 hours on my new Black. I am absolutely loving it. I was happily using a Blue for the past 2 years, but this upgrade is tremendous. Such an improved soundstage and detail. I also wonder what to expect with the break in time (?), as I'm curious as to how much better can this sound if I'm already this delighted.

3. honestabe316

I've p
    I played a good mix; Coltrane, blood sweat & tears, cheap trick, pink floyd, & Rickie lee Jones and the Police....to get a feel for how it performs across the spectrum and I can't see where anything negative sticks out....I do get that some of the posters have much more experience cross comparing cartridge/stylus combos and it makes me eager to maybe try a different cart next year.......if they think other mid priced mm's outperform it drastically but for now I'm going to enjoy this cart immensely.....how or do you keep track of the hours you put on your black? How often do you clean the stylus?

4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Wow!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Gasman1003

It is.

Dennis0675 and BigGame like this.
  6. honestabe316

Ditto

Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I've certainly heard bad and negative reports from lots of Cartride manufactures over the years...some of the best out there. And I do see your frustrations as well. But we've not all had such issues with the 2M Black....in fact when the 2M series first hit, I purchased the 2M Red and after a few months purchase the 2M Black and also have the 2M Bronze. If the carts are manufactured correctly and set up properly it should perform as advertised unless the associated gears not up too it. All 3 of mine perform with excellent results. Sorry you guys couldn't enjoy the same pleasure from the 2M Black as most of 2M Black owners.

SandAndGlass and Gasman1003 like this.
  8. honestabe316

Agreed....it would be unrealistic to think that 1 cartridge could receive 100% accolades from a forum with well experienced audiophiles such as the SHF......it is an educating topic however and makes folks not make blind choices

Gasman1003 likes this.
  9. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

What a great cartridge. Can't really afford it however, but I have heard it and it sounds the part. Makes me sad about having to give up my Astatic MF-100 as the stylus suspension was shot, and replacements are hard to come by. The different a shibata makes from an elliptical is insane. I guess this is a case of "you get what you pay for".

10. Gasman1003

Absolutely, I can't really afford it either, but had to have it.

I went down the route of buying a 2M Bronze, then replacing with 2M Black at first change.

A replacement stylus retails at 370 GBP over here, but the current one has given 2 years of service so far - I use my TT every day, so it is good value, IMHO.

I think with careful set up, use of an RCM and meticulous stylus cleaning I can get a while longer out of it.

On my pretty modest system and far from ideal listening space I doubt I will ever use anything else.

I just hope they carry on manufacture.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Hey Johnny! its been about 5 years.....you never did say in this thread what happened with the 2M Black? Did you like it?

royzak2000 and Gasman1003 like this.
  12. honestabe316

I'm listening to one of your local boys on my black right now (McCartney)....."Band on the run has never sounded as exquisite....

unless you have the insane drive to spend loads of cash to squeeze out another 1/100 th of a % of sound improvement then the black should be all you ever need....

Folks with modest hifi systems should be very happy with the 2m black

13. Gasman1003

Couldn't agree more, my 2M Black actually cost more than my speakers, but, as I say, on my system/listening space, it has hit the sweet spot.

The 2M Bronze is a fine cartridge but I couldn't believe the difference when I put on the upgraded Black stylus.

It truly is a force of nature.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a Thorens TD 160 Super, with the Bronze. I will keep your comments in mind.

I was concerned, because I have an older restored TT, I was concerned that dialing it in might be an issue and because I buy mostly used vinyl that is not in pristine condition, I was concerned about too much detail!?

I do have some new vinyl and would consider buying more, IF, the end result will sound better. Some newer records don't seem to sound as good as the original's. I do clean my used vinyl before playing (but I never clean records that I purchase new).

Naturally, on any used record, except pristine collectables, one would expect some surface noise. Sometimes more detail, is not always a desirable thing.

What are your thoughts as to how it sounds on an average used record as compared to a new pristine recording?

I think that the bronze is a nice balanced, overall good sounding cartridge.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  15. honestabe316

The only thing that increases anxiety in my brain is that the cartridge and specifically the cantilever look so much more delicate that my Stanton 6i1eee with the 681SE stylus that I was using previously before buying this Clearaudio Performance DC with the 2m black.....the Stanton looked like something I could pull off and "scratch my back with" compared to the black.......The black's cantilever looks so thin that if I played a record with a skip in it (which I dont), that it would rip the cantilever right off the cartridge......I'm assuming that the much more streamlined cantilever in the black affords less chances of resonation that the "tube like" one on the Stanton might produce.....its like switching from big ole' beer mugs to fine crystal wine glasses..........the beauty is in the more delicate design.....

Gasman1003 likes this.
  16. Gasman1003

I too have an old Thorens 160 and buy and play mostly used vinyl.

I buy as good quality as I can find, and the Black deals with it beautifully.

It is possibly a little more clinical than the Bronze, but is just a joy to use. It also tracks beautifully.

Hand on heart I have not noticed surface noise to be a major problem.

It never becomes wearing, no matter how long a listening session I have.

I would recommend trying it when you are due a new stylus, I appreciate it is not cheap. However, if you didn't like it I'm sure you could sell it at a good price.

Hell, I'd buy it from you if it came to that.

ps, I recently bought an RCM and clean new records too, you'd be amazed what can come off them.

royzak2000 and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Gasman1003

I hear you.

Indeed I snapped off the stylus of my Bronze the day I bought it.

This was because I was trying to put on the stupid stylus guard.

Lesson learnt, absolutely no problems since.

The Black even tracks this Mt. Everest of a pressing defect with just a slight pop:

[​IMG]

BTW, I am in no way affiliated to the company, I just think it's a great product.

Just throw the stylus guard in the bin on the day you buy it!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I haven't really kept track of hours. A few years ago, when I started purchasing and playing vinyl again, I was keeping an average in my head - something like I play 5 records a week. So; I would say that's an average of 4 hours a week, x the number of weeks in a month, etc. to get a rough idea. After a few months I gave up. I decided that any cart I was using at the time I would likely upgrade before it was in danger or wearing out, and just hold on to it for any secondary TT I planned to use around the house, or keep as back-up, etc.

As far as cleaning, I use a Onzow ZeroDust on average about every 2 records or so (incidentally; I just noticed that Music Direct has these on a pretty good sale at the moment...).

And, like you, I have been enjoying playing all different types of music to hear how it performs and delivers. I'm so pleased with nearly everything so far - in particular it has me playing what little "classic rock" I have that I didn't listen to much in the past on vinyl, but it all just sounds so darn dynamic and holographic with this Black. I'm noticing so many sounds that were hidden until now - stuff like Steely Dan, Chicago, The Police, Rush, The Doobies, etc.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  19. Gasman1003

:agree:

I recently purchased an Onzow ZeroDust too - great little product.

20. honestabe316

I've been using the stylus guard and feel it's fairly easy to put on....the first time I put it on though I thought I might break it......once I am willing to spend 200-300 for a dust cover I'll stop using the cap.....I do have 2 cats and on rare ocassions they will jump on shelves...very rarely but I don't want a tail to ever snag of my stylus......I really should just give the cats away but my family wouldn't agree :)

Gasman1003 likes this.
  21. Gasman1003

I can see your point.

Luckily my old TT has a dust cover.

I think my ageing eyes and old fingers can't cope with the stylus guard, so I compromised.

22. ElvisRocks

ElvisRocks Well-Known Member

Had my 2M Black for about a year. Love the sound.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  23. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

This was more than 4 years ago, then no news. I would be curious to hear from you about your experience with the Black.

24. honestabe316

The Technics sl-1600 I just moved up from had a cover....the Clearaudio performance DC has no included cover and the cheapest I can find is about $299 plus shipping....that's like 7 MFSL or AP 45 rpm double lp's....my sensible side says no way Jose.....I'll make something( diy project) and buy records with savings.....I'll buy a real original mfg. one when money loosens up but for now i want to keep it dust and damage free for a reasonable cost...looks are secondary

Gasman1003 likes this.
  25. honestabe316

I just checked his profile and it says he runs a dynavector...no mention of a 2m black

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.