So I Just Bought an Orbit Plus...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OldJohnRobertson, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

So this is the first new turntable I've bought in 15 years. My Gemini XL-100 served me well. It was a DJ turntable but once you replaced the cartridge with a decent one (in my case a Shure cartridge), it did the job and did it well.

On the hunt for a new turntable, I noticed U-Turn Audio's Orbit Plus and read a bunch of great reviews. I settled on the Orbit Plus with the standard Ortofon OM5E cartridge and I have to say, I'm quite impressed. I love the big, heavy acrylic platter because it spins perfectly flat. Additionally, the cartridge really shines in the bass department and also performs very well toward the end of the record where inner groove distortion can become a problem.

So far I've spun these records:

Maroon 5 - V
    Thievery Corporation - The Temple of I & I
    Pearl Jam - Ten (original US pressing from 1994)
    Pink Floyd - Animals (1994 re-issue, mastered by Doug Sax)
    Moby Grape - Truly Fine Citizen (Sundazed reissue from 2007)

These provided a good range of sounds and styles for me to test the turntable. Color me very impressed. Maybe I was just used to lower quality, but damn! I'm really looking forward to this table serving me well for years to come.

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

In that price range, it's my "go to" recommendation. I recommended one like yours for my mother in law. She loves it, and it's quite impressive for the price. You did well.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Congratulations on your new table, I'm sure you'll get great pleasure from it.

I strongly reconmend an inexpensive upgrade to an OM10 stylus. It's much better than the OM5 and is fairly inexpensive, I found a new one on Ebay for just $35. I hadn't expected the music to sound as improved as it did after installing the OM10, it's well worth doing so IMO.

Another highly beneficial upgrade is adding some good isolation to the table. I use Herbie's Tall Tenderfeet, a set if four is $68.

4. OldJohnRobertson

Duly noted. Thanks for the tip!

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Congrats! I'm waiting on a similar setup but sprung for the 2M Red cartridge...really looking forward to the upgrade from a cheap Ion turntable I bought after years of having no way to listen to vinyl. I'm curious to hear how it stacks up against my memory of a Technics SL-D2 I had years ago.

PhilBiker and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  6. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Congrats. Enjoy the vinyl goodness on your new turntable!

7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Today is a great day for the Boston Boys on Ye Olde Hoffman Forum! (And congratulations on the new family member.:))

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Just got my new table set up and spun the second side of Rush's Feedback. After "Crossroads" I think I need to change my underwear. Doesn't matter that it's the last song- zero IGD...finally matches the hi-res files, maybe a wee bit warmer. Quite impressed. :D

HiFi Guy and forthlin like this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I gave an Orbit with an upgraded acrylic platter to my kid almost 2 years ago, and except for a stretched-then-replaced belt it's been a big hit.

krisbee, HiFi Guy and rcsrich like this.
  10. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I just ordered the full-monty Orbit on the 28th, walnut plinth, acrylic platter plus the 2m blue. It cost a pretty penny but I love supporting a bona fide American outfit. I'm awaiting shipping notification. Any info on how long they are taking to ship from order date? I'm very excited to get it going.

McGuy, krisbee, SpeedMorris and 2 others like this.
  11. I love my Orbit with the Walnut plinth. I opted for the MDR platter and it works well. Not I'm thinking of upgrading the cart and possibly adding the Pluto.

12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Mine took the full 5 business days before it shipped. Granted, it was a Custom, so not sure if they have more of the standard & plus on hand.

H8SLKC likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Congrats on the new turntable! Look on the "Long and Winding" forum for the "Listening on Vinyl" thread and join in! One of the joys of this forum.

14. Lewisdaly

Lewisdaly New Member

I also have the orbit plus with a grado black cart. I bought the grado 8mz stylus for it and it sounds wonderful.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I'm may be about to order an Orbit turntable. I have an Onkyo 9010 amp with turntable inputs. Should I get the Orbit with the built in Pluto amp or save some $$$ and use the Onkyo's inputs?

16. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Personally I would just start with the Onkyo inputs. I'm a big advocate for outboard preamps in the upgrade path. A good phonostage can make a very noticeable difference. Use the savings on records or other upgrades. Nothing against the internal UTurn option, but it is an entry level preamp and my personal opinion would be save for the next level up of preamp vs having two entry level ones (the one in the TT and the one in your amp).

17. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What about the acrylic platter vs the basic platter?

PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
  18. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think the acrylic platter is 100% worth the price for the speed stability alone. The looks are a nice bonus though ;)
    I will also say the felt mat is a pain. I would suggest exploring options for replacement.

19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ll concur on not buying the Pluto. I chose to do so when I bought my Orbit Plus as I was putting together a budget system and thought it was a decent enough value for what it is. However I’m used to better phono stages and when on a lark I bought one of those vintage 1970’s Realistic phono stages that are well regarded here for $20 on Ebay and immediately heard how it trounced the Pluto I regretted having spent the money in it.

See what you think of the Onkyo’s built in stage first and go from there. Once you’re sure you want something better and have at least $300 to spend there are plenty if choices including the Lounge LCR mkIII and the Vincent Pho 8.

20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I agree with previous posters that the acrylic platter is a nice and worthwhile upgrade. I also agree that since you already have phono pre capacity in your amp, I'd go with it to start. I own a Pluto external and one internal in an Orbit special walnut, but the Pluto is a basic unit and the Orbit can support better IMO. If you didn't have an amp with phono, I would endorse the Pluto as a great unit to pair with the Orbit, but you can save a buck and buy a better pre down the line.

Jerryb, displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Use the Onkyo input. It's there - start with that it's probably perfectly sufficient.
    I think the black platter is mush better looking that's what I would go with personally. YMMV.

H8SLKC and Jerryb like this.
  22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I narrowed it down to the basic platter. No built in pre amp. Cue lever. Now I'm stuck on the cartridge.

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. OldJohnRobertson

Get a 2M red at minimum.

Jerryb likes this.
  24. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Great to see more interested in vinyl. Keep your records clean.

PhilBiker and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  25. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.