So I Just Bought an Orbit Plus...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OldJohnRobertson, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Find out if they're offering the newly introduced Grado Black2, or if they still are installing the newly discontinued Black1.

The new Black2 is quite a bit better than the Black1, and would be hard to beat for the price ($75).

PhilBiker, H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is the mat I have. No major difference in sound, and the weight isn't enough to make a noticeable difference either. But it 100% static free, and looks sharp on the acrylic platter.
    Just to be clear, you'd be buying it for less static and style, not performance differences.

PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
  3. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I have a clear Hudson acrylic platter mat that I use with my Orbit in the winter (felt in the summer). Retains VTA, looks great, no static or cling issues, definitely helpful. It may be a great answer to the use of the MDF platter as well. Great thought on your part there.

4. action pact

Ironically, I was just considering ordering one of those for my AR, to replace a cork mat. Can you offer any thoughts on any sonic benefits? Also, why do you switch back to felt in the summer?

PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
  5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Having tried multiple mats (minus the high-end ones like Herbies) including cork, felt, rubber, acrylic, leather plus others I'm probably forgetting, on several different turntables, I have concluded that I hear little to no differences between them. That isn't to say that others don't. In my case, I have switched to convenience and usability as the factors dictating mat usage. So, felt allows me to flip and change records while leaving the motor running, which is great during the warmer months when static and cling aren't in play. In the Fall, when it starts to dry out and get colder, static and cling become annoying with felt, cork, leather and other materials I've tried, but completely disappear when using acrylic. So, I switch to a naked acrylic platter on my table with adjustable VTA, and use acrylic platter mats on the ones that don't (like the Orbit).

This is the arrangement that has worked the best for me and may hopefully minimize motor/switch wear over the years. It also has reduced personal potential obsessiveness with mat-as-sonic-factor!

PhilBiker and SpeedMorris like this.
  6. action pact

Great answer, thank you!

H8SLKC likes this.
  7. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I placed my order less than 12 hours ago. It just shipped. So much for the 2 to 5 days to build it.

PhilBiker, action pact and H8SLKC like this.
  8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just got the tracking info. It will be here tomorrow. 24 hours from ordering to having it delivered!

9. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Have we discussed the sonic effect of Orbit colors?

If one likes a darker sound, black is the obvious choice. For the brightest sound, grab a green. Something more relaxed and/or calming? That would be the blue. For a vivid, expressive, colorful sound, it's Red, he said. Like it neutral, nothing at all coloring your sound? White, my son. Maybe something richer sounding for your tastefully appointed library/den? Walnut can make it happen.

I'm confident that measurements would confirm the conclusions.:agree:

displayname, PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
  10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

IMO platter mat don't change the sound unless it radically changes VTA

displayname and H8SLKC like this.
  11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

And yet we still have no pics.

H8SLKC likes this.
  12. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just put it all together.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker, H8SLKC and SpeedMorris like this.
  13. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Fantastic! I have the plus at my lake house with an 80s b&o system. The sound is lovely.

H8SLKC, Jerryb and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Very nice!!!

H8SLKC and Jerryb like this.
  15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Did anyone else thing of two TVs stacked on top of each other when they saw this?
    [​IMG]

SpeedMorris and Rhapsody In Red like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.