So that Levon and the Hawks set ain't happenin' is it??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I feel like I can't even remember when this set was first mooted, but seeing how their hasn't even been a whisper of any activity on this set, I'm assuming it's dead unfortunately. One would think that since the tastiest stuff left would be from 1967 that they'd get it out this year to cover at least that year's worth of unreleased material, but alas nothing looks to be on the horizon.

It's a shame. I think the formative years of The Band are super interesting and also produced a lot of great music and I love to listen to the first disc of A Musical History for just that reason. But it seems like that's probably gonna be it. Oh well.

Maybe one day!

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don't think there's any treasure trove here. They did a few studio sessions for others but not a lot of pre-Basement stuff at all. Yes, a very few Levon and the Hawks recordings, John Hammond, Ronnie Hawkins, of course...slim pickins after that.

melstapler likes this.
  3. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I had no idea The Band played with Slim Pickens!:D

4. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Remember the little promo card for the set in the Band Musical History box? Crazy. The OPM website doesn't even exist, really. I did some research and sent some emails to no avail.

I seem to remember when the Dylan Basement Tapes release came out there was some renewed chatter about the set and Jan Haust mentioned the scope of the Hawks project had increased. That is what I remember. The article may be in the archives at the Band pages.

There are good sounding Hawks tapes in Garth's possession and upgrades of circulating shows like Port Dover 1964 owned by Levon's estate.

5. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

This was the info available last updated in 2016. 8 CD and DVD was the goal!

Levon and the Hawks: From Bacon Fat to Judgement Day

Let's dream hypotheticals:

Early Hawks Singles Hammond, Discs 1-2

Live Crang Plaza, Port Dover, Dallas 65, maybe others? Discs 3-4

Dylan stuff, pre basement, Barry Feinstein Early Band studio recordings 5-6

Basement Tapes, Woody Guthrie Benefit, 7-8?

Who knows, but it seems like work was being done on it? Maybe some new stuff from Garth's vault, some new live stuff could flesh it out. I'm sure there would be some overlap with the Musical History box.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

We've been waiting for years and years::doh:
    Current status of Levon and the Hawks: From Bacon Fat to Judgement Day

I've been reading Robbie's book lately, and it's driving me crazy that there's no convenient way to hear a lot of the tracks he's talking about. I really, really hope that one day they'll be able to put out an all-encompassing set of the Hawks/Band material.

Matthew Tate and RockRoom like this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Thank to the OP, my fever for this set has returned. Checked the OPM site again this AM and it still contains a 7' of 'Leave Me Alone' as the landing page. other peoples music

No updates, no contact, no nothing!

I did find the article I mentioned above that came out around the time of the Basement Tapes BS release: Bob Dylan’s restored ‘Basement Tapes’ give Toronto duo Grammy attention | Toronto Star

'With the wrap of the Basement Tapes, the duo is turning their attention back to the Hawks project with plans for a release later this year. Their spirits have been buoyed by recognition from their industry peers.'

Maybe Sebastian Robertson has some knowledge of the prospective release. He often will reply via social media. A while back a Band Royal Albert Hall 1971 performance was also mentioned as a release. Crickets for that one as well.

9. sweetdudejim

Excellent overview of what such a project could be, RockRoom.

I especially think that the stuff that they did in Barry Feinstein's studio would be very, very interesting. All we've heard from this era so far is "Beautiful Thing" and I must say, it's beautiful. If by chance there is anything else from Robbie, Richard, Rick and Garth from this time.

And then after they joined forces with Dylan in the basement, I still wonder how much non-Dylan Band material there is. We really don't know do we? I mean, even as far as what's out there, what is a confirmed Band true basement song? "You Don't Come Through", "Words And Numbers", "Caledonia Mission" and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" all seem to be actual basement tapes. The version of "Yazoo Street Scandal" with Robbie on vocals also seems to be from the basement. But who knows? Where is "Ruben Remus", "Orange Juice Blues", "Katie's Been Gone" and "Yazoo Street Scandal" on the official Basement Tapes really from? Are they basement tapes? Partially basement recorded, partially overdubbed? This would be interesting to get the answers. And perhaps such a set would help us find out.

Lastly, one interesting era would be the pre-Music from Big Pink official studio recordings, like the CBS Studio E recordings. Robbie has said they weren't that great, but who knows? Do we even know what came from those? I think the version of "Orange Juice Blues on A Musical History came from that, but what else? Supposedly a version of "Ruben Remus" (the one from The Basement Tapes or not?) and also a version of "Chest Fever." Sure would be nice to hear them. But the question on those is, who owns those recordings? Does The Band (or just Robbie...or Garth) own this stuff or does Capitol?

10. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

@sweetdudejim Nice overview yourself as all of those questions you posed are what all us Band fans consider!

There HAS to be more stuff from Feinstein's place as the group was holed up in NYC for quite a while waiting to see what Dylan was going to do following the 66 tour.

I do feel like there are a number of reels of Band only recordings from the basement that could be mined. ( I can confirm nothing) But if that 'Will the Circle be Unbroken' fragment on 'Musical History' is any indication there could be some gold to be mined. With the Dylan set there was finally some order put to his Basement Recordings, the Band is deserving of the same treatment. Garth is an archivist and he has many reels from this era as was discussed when the Dylan set appeared.

As far as the Pre-Big Pink (non basement) recordings I think those are spread out over a few releases (bonus tracks on 2000 remasters, musical history, Basement Tapes 1975 release) but could be consolidated on a new set and perhaps even added to. Don't quote me on this but I believe, 'Orange Juice Blues' and 'Yazoo Street Scandal' all hail from these formative sessions along with Ferdinand the Imposter, Katie's Been Gone and Ruben Remus as you mentioned from the late 67 CBS sessions.

We also have the versions of 'If I Lose', 'Key to the Highway' from the studio sessions. I have to think Capitol has the rights to these as many have seen some sort of official release. It would be amazing to have this material placed in its proper context and untouched by later overdubbing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. darling

darling Senior Member

It's been in the works for over 20 years now. I've been waiting for this release since seeing the promotional card included in A Musical History.

It seems like it is this year or never. Not just because of the copyright issue, but also because they had the chance to get consent to include some Dylan tracks when they worked on the Basement Tapes release.

12. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

As I read this thread I'm listening to Levon & The Hawks July 28, 1965 - Onyx Club, Oklahoma City which is the most 'listenable' of the live Hawks tapes. It makes me want the box set even more, assuming it includes some high quality concert recordings. Glad I'm not holding my breath, though.

13. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

With the Big Pink 50th reissue hub bub it just makes me wish this imaginary Hawks box exsisted.

Jamming some Crang Plaza 64.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

UPDATE: This set will be released. There is no time frame. The archivists keep uncovering upgrades! I was told to be patient it will happen.

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

:yikes: :confused: :cheers:

16. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I freelance write and was able to get some info when discussing the Big Pink 50th. They people involved want to get this right and said everytime they get close something exciting pops up.

The Dylan Basement tapes took more than a decade and they feel no pressure to do a rush job. There is Super 8 footage too!

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well done. Nice investigative work.

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Let us hope! Along with the early Hawks stuff, there are lots of Big Pink basement recordings that still need release, including but not limited to...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    alchemy, Matthew Tate and RockRoom like this.
  19. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Thank you. I know this is a holy grail for many of us.....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. sweetdudejim

Wow RockRoom, you've really restored my faith that this thing is actually gonna be released. I definitely understand the version to "get it right" and to get the best quality stuff out there, but it's been so long, without any updates, with fans either losing interest or even dying, that you wonder by the time they get this out how big of a market will there be for this product? Which, to be honest, is pretty niche. I just hope all this work doesn't go for naught, and that it comes out (hopefully sometime soon)!

Matthew Tate, RockRoom and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I hear ya! I asked what the delay was/is and was told it's because they keep finding stuff and feel no reason to rush. I had to share here but again, I was told there is NO time frame. :/

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Great news that this project isn't dead but, at this rate, I will be before this ever sees release!

RAZORMADE, Matthew Tate and RockRoom like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

everytime I see a thread pop up I think its finally been announced lol

bubba-ho-tep, RockRoom and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

From a marketing perspective, there may be no better time to finally release this set than along side the upcoming Scorsese documentary:

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson And The Band documentary film – Deadline

Then again, if they were all that worried about practical considerations, you’d think they would have prioritized getting it out before they lost copyright protection over the recordings (in the EU, at least) a few years ago.

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Let me apologize in advance for having subjected you once again to this false hope.

RockRoom and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.