So this is what vintage audio is about - LOVE my new Marantz 2230!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sugar Man, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked this up off of Ebay for a steal - it had a minor dent in the rear panel that the seller repaired wonderfully - and it sounds wonderful - that warm non-fatiguing sound everyone raves about. Have it hooked up to my kinda-vintage Meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods and it is taking me back to my days as a teen cranking Led Zeppelin albums on my mom's Pioneer, Technics and ADS system. It's not the last word in detail, but it is musical - wow!

[​IMG]

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yeah, I think vintage works very well when you have a set of speakers like those.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

4. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I had one of those a few years ago.It was tired but still sounded good.I thought the 2230 sounded better than the big 2330b I had.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have a 2220b. Sounds amazing paired with my AR 6's.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

But now I have this dilemma....

[​IMG]

Manimal, Ken Clark, Paully and 4 others like this.
  7. taynos

taynos Forum Resident

Think you may be tempting me to pull my 2230 from storage. (Will never sell it) The mystique surrounding this particular Marantz in the 22XX lineup is spot on , so lush and musical. Love the weighty volume knob of these receivers . Try and track down a walnut plinth on ebay, there are several out there can prob land one for less than a hundred bucks.

Mine has a lamp or two that are burnt out, once I get more room for my 2nd sytem again and resurrect it I plan on sending it out to the irebuildmarantz guy to give it the ole spit and polish.

8. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Garrard/Shure V15 + Marantz 2270 + Altec Model 9 = heaven

Bananas&blow and Gramps Tom like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Find the case for it!

10. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I used to have a pr of Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrods (Cherry finish) hooked up to a vintage McIntosh receiver. The combo sounded very nice and warm like you are talking about. You will get many hours of enjoyment from the 2230!

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

a clean looking beauty. enjoy. i love my 2325.

Billion$Baby and bluemooze like this.
  12. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

My wife loves my (her) :rolleyes: 2270.

JDeanB, steeler1979 and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have a 2238b. Sounds amazing paired with my Focal 826V speakers. :righton:

14. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I have had a few vintage Marantz receivers, good stuff. I had a Marantz 2265 ran through some vintage KLH 6 speakers and it was a fun, musical non fatiguing ride. Eventually I gave the Marantz to a friend and went on to other stuff.

As far as the vintage receivers go I love the Pioneer silver face era, the Marantz silver face stuff and vintage Sansui (still own a 4000) which doesn't get enough love in my opinion.

15. A few months back I directed a buddy to an ad for a 2230. He asked me to keep an eye out for him for something nice in a vintage receiver. It was stone cold mint. One owner in a cabinet in the family room and only used for radio for the last 30 years. My buddy asked what he should offer and I said you don't.. just pay him what he's asking, say thanks and be on your way. It's really beautiful and it sounds wonderful.

juno6000 likes this.
  16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

About a couple of years ago I luckily found a 2240 in the wood case, original box/manual and everything… stone cold flawless. To the point I think it may not have actually ever been used. Absolute beauty. I use it as a pre-amp/tuner via its pre-outs.

17. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Nothing like Marantz blue and a Gyro-Touch tuning wheel. Nice looking unit. Enjoy the vintage sound!!

Sugar Man likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I still have the 2238B I bought new in the late 70's. It's now my bedroom amp connected to a pair of Harbeths P3ESR. I'll never sell her!

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Congrats! I'm not getting rid of my 2230 either. Got it off Craigslist in non-working condition for $20, and had a great local tech restore it from soup to nuts. Agree 100% with the evaluation of "not the last word on detail but very musical." Definitely a distinctive piece of gear, and will smooth out the rough edges on even the harshest-sounding recordings.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

22. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Now that I have an ideal [for me] restored Sansui and a beautiful minty one owner late 70's Pioneer I'm itching for a vintage Marantz for the bedroom.

23. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I run tubes with my Kestrel HRs, but will try them out with my 2230 soon.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I hear ya. I just picked up a 2225 and can't stop listening to it with my iPod. Now I'm searching for a turntable! :edthumbs:

Sugar Man and bluemooze like this.
  25. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Nice Orcas! Haven't seen those bass enclosures before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.