So what do you guys plug your equipment into? Powerstrips?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZappaSG, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Gee Guy, you must have some real issues here :shh: Just kidding, as I know how crazy this crap is, and I use crap sincerely !

For me, I buy the old Adcom ACE-515's used, have 2 off them now, for all my "stuff". It gives me a place to plug it all into, and just maybe it helps the AC to some degree, and may save some of my equipment some day !!

The house next door got hit by lightening, left me tell you, your surge protectors will do little when all your wiring is melted in the wall, and copper pipes are blown open. You can only do so much.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

My front end gear gets power regenerated and protection from this:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/p300.asp

and my monoblocks get power regeneration and protection from this:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/premier_power_plant.asp. :righton:

3. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I use a Tripp Lite LC 1800 (goes for about $180)
    Automatic voltage regulator / Power conditioner / AC surge suppressor

KEY BUYING POINTS

Maintains usable 120V (+10%/-12%) nominal output over an input range of 89 to 147V
    Protects sensitive electronics, computer accessories and home theater equipment from power-related damage and performance problems
    Extends the useful life of connected equipment by providing optimum voltage conditions for enhanced efficiency and cooler internal operating temperatures
    Three levels of voltage stabilization offer targeted response to overvoltages, undervoltages and severe brownouts
    Input voltages over 128V are reduced by 9.6%
    Input voltages between 103 and 112V are boosted by 8.9%
    Input voltages below 102V are boosted by 18.8%
    1800 watts maximum output power rating supports 120V loads up to 15 amps
    Network grade AC surge suppression
    Premium EMI/RFI noise filtering prevents equipment interaction, system interference, lockups and other power-related audio and video artifacts
    7 diagnostic LEDs indicate input voltage levels, surge suppression status and line fault conditions
    6 protected NEMA5-15R outlets
    6 foot AC power cord with NEMA5-15P input plug
    2 year manufacturer's product warranty

4. scotto

scotto Senior Member

We're in the process of upgrading our equipment and all this talk of zapping components has me a little nervous.
    Anyone know if there's any sort of sonic and/or safety difference between circuit breaker vs. fuse home electrical service?
    The guy who lived in this house previously (roughly 30 years) worked for the local electric company. When he updated the electrical service about 10 years ago, he stuck with fuses (albeit an upgraded box and system) rather than go with circuit breakers. Claimed it was superior and safer. He was a nut for doing things well (every room has outlets about every four feet), so he seems to know what he was talking about.
    Any thoughts?

5. Glen B

Glen B New Member

Circuit breakers like anything else manmade can go bad. They have moving parts that are subject to failure and going out of calibration, although such instances are rare. Excessive tripping can increase cutout time and make breakers unreliable.

Fuses on the other hand have no moving parts and can last indefinitely. On the downside, when a fuse goes, not having a replacement can be a nuisance.

I would not call the previous owner of your house a nut. It sounds like he had outlets installed to code. Having them located conveniently is much preferable and safer than using extension cords.

6. Glen B

Glen B New Member

Where does the buzzing noise emanate from, speakers or amplifier(s) ? Some dimmers superimpose DC on the power line, which can cause buzzing/humming in some components that have a toroid transformer. If your buzz is coming from an amp, DC is your likely culprit. There are a few companies that make devices which block DC. PS Audio is one. They make a device called the Humbuster.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I use an HTS-5000 for the audio system and a PowerCenter HTS 1000 for my computer and reading lights.

I'm looking for a dedicated box for my ARC amp that won't diminish current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.