So what have you been listening to in 2003

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aashton, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

My CD is on its way. Thanks for the heads up.

HZ, you just listed some of my favorite albums.

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

You do have the Holy Zoo album, don't you? (j/k, I know you don't)

It's very Jellyfish inspired. :)

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The first I played this year...precisely at midnight last evening was JT - James Taylor (SACD). An all time favorite. After that came Some Eva Cassidy and a few ROCK OF THE 70's series that Steve wonderfully put together.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

2002, for me, is a year best forgotten. So much so, that I think I passed out in front of the computer before midnight, went up the stairs in a stupor, plopped Moonraker into the DVD player, and promptly fell asleep. Other than Nickelodeon this morning after the girls got up, I hadn't had any music on until 10:00PM this evening.

I'm on a reel-to-reel kick lately. I copied Brian Setzer's '68 Comeback Special CD Ignition to reel, and listened to part of that first. And right now, I'm playing my own homemade "3000 Feet of Burt Bacharach" compilation reels. I copied my favorites from Rhino's "Burt Box", Universal's "Reel Burt Bacharach", and assorted other favorites (like the "After The Fox" theme) to 1800' and 1200' reels. (Maybe when I get some NAB hubs for this ol' Teac, I can put this one one large reel.) Just started side 1 of reel 2 about 10 minutes ago.

With the Mrs. back at work tomorrow, I'm planning on running these through the CD changer while I clean up the kids' recent wake of destruction:

Cal Tjader: Soul Bird Whiffenpoof
    Manhattan Transfer: Brasil
    Genesis: Trick Of The Tail
    Setzer/'68 Comeback Special: Ignition
    Setzer Orch. Compilation (a home-brew)
    Gordon Lightfoot: Complete Greatest Hits
    The Who Sing My Generation (the new, controversial reissue)
    Antonio Carlos Jobim: Wave and Tide (two LP dubs to CD from A&M's Audio Master Plus series)
    Sinatra/Jobim: my own homebrew "Complete Reprise Recordings Of..." compilation, which includes the original Sinatra/Jobim album, the seven Jobim tracks from "Sinatra & Co." and three from the big Reprise box set.

And this could change by morning. ;-)

5. you Falkner fans have to get the 2 Eric Matthews cd's, they sound like Colin Blunstone records, and Jason was his head instrumentalist.

Jason cowrote 1/2 the material on One Mississippi by Benson as well, but he does not play on it.

Jason does play on Lapalco.

I have Jason's 2 b-sides collections, naturally the japanese 2 disk one (pricey) is the better of the two. He plays songs by Eno, Magazine, the Stranglers and Joni Mitchell and bests the original performances in each case, how the hell can he do that?

His take on "Pretty Ballerina" is earth shattering.

Jason plays on "Sea Change", so you potentially can hear him better on the multichannel SACD (though I have not yet heard it)

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I was hired by a local inn to provide the music for their New Year's Eve bash. It was a fun group (about 175 people) with reasonably good taste in music --I always encourage requests. At midnight, we did the countdown while I played Bruce & The E Street Band doing "Auld Lang Syne" (thanks Winmix!), followed that with Frank's "New York, New York" and then into Neil Young & Crazy Horse with "Rockin' In The Free World" (Freedom version). The dance floor was jammed all night and they went nuts when Neil kicked in. Not a bad way to start the year.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Haven't heard it yet but sounds like I'd like it. Do you have a president of your fan club yet?:)

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of my first recordings which I played in 2003 was Ric Ocasek's Troublizing.

It's one of my all-time favorites... great music and maybe the best Cars CD!!!

9. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Maysa's "Friendly Pressure" has been getting some airplay here in the ATL. Good tune.

10. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I've been listening to and restoring a disco LP by Trevor Rabin, although it was actually released under the alias of "The Tee Cees".

Curiously, there is no mention of this album on his official bio or discography...

11. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

The book comes with CD's? I was gonna pick it up eventually. I was interested in the chapter on Dino Valenti.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Last night, I listened to a Burl Ives CD, A Little Bitty Tear: The Best of Burl Ives which is a UK import on Universal UK's Half Moon imprint. Several of the tracks on it do not have any noise reduction applied to them at all including Big Rock Candy Mountain and most notably Turtle Dove.

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Soft Machine III

14. Mostly Beatles.
    With The Beatles - mono LP - yellow/black Parlophone. Recently acquired thru eBay. Jacket is in horrible shape but the vinyl is OK.
    The Beatles Beat - LP, The Beatles Greatest - LP, MMT - German Apple/Horzu LP
    A Hard Day's Night - stereo CD - (sourced from MOFI vinyl IIRC)
    Rubber Soul - stereo HDCD CD - (sourced from MOFI vinyl IIRC)
    Rubber Soul / Y+T - stereo Capitol Masters CD
    White Album - mono CD
    Beatles 2 - (friend's brother made a companion CD to Beatles 1. I remastered it with stereo mixes and alternate versions.)
    New Musical Express Presents - Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father - LP
    Nora Jones - Come Away With Me CD (Christmas gift)
    Diana Krall - Live In Paris DVD (Christmas gift)
    Car Toons Volume 9 - homemade CD featuring Box Tops, Milltown Brothers, Kinks, Robyn Hitchcock, Jazz Butcher, Alun Davies, Steely Dan, Gutterball, and Squeeze, among others. This is one of those CDs that makes sense to me, but others give me that WTF look when they read the track listing. :laugh:

Thanks P and T. :)

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The latest Johnny Cash
    The new Quincy Jones SACD/CD hybrid on Hip-o!

16. mjb

mjb Senior Member

George Winston "December" (20th Anniversary edition)

Picked this up at half-price during the recent Tower post-holiday sale... very nice, and will be appreciated next Christmas.

Peter Gabriel "Security"

Still haven't picked up the latest remaster... I've always liked the majority of the songs, but I was reminded of how cohesive an album this really is. Great stuff.

17. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Harvest Moon- Neil Young
    Guess Who- Anthology
    Charade- Henry Mancini

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just played The Cars Let's Go on the turntable, John Schneider's I've Been Around Enough To Know on the turntable, and Rum & Coca Cola by The Andrews Sisters on the DVD player. I will later on tonight or tomorrow listen on my turntable a Radiola compilation of Andrews Sisters radio show transcriptions released in 1974 taken from their radio show back in their heyday I got at a consignment shop for $1.

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Sevens (JSP) is playing right now. Just finished listening to Dark Side Of The Moon (MFSL vinyl), The Early Beatles and Vladimir Horowitz Beethoven Sonatas. Good year so far.

20. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Blue Note). Been able to tear myself away from the speakers, but not often!

21. Mike

Mike New Member

Now playing:

Muddy Waters - One More Mile, Chess Collectibles Vol. 1

If it's not out of print now, then it will be tomorrow. Do the right thing and give Muddy a home in your home. :)

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Muddy's been in my home for 30+ years now...:)

23. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I bought the first four PGs as UK imports in the mini-LP packaging. I haven't compared this fourth album (that Geffen called Security) to the original CD, but the other three are much fuller than their original CD releases. I agree with what Gabriel himself had said in an interview--when remastering these CDs, he claimed he was hearing some sounds he didn't even remember were on the masters.

Got my imports as a steal on eBay: $12.99 each. (Tower and other sellers were getting over $20 each for them) I later found out that the ones I bought were recalled--someone had put the stickers on the CD jacket, instead of on the plastic overwrap (which is usually removed and discarded). No big deal. A little Bestine rubber cement thinner will loosen those stickers whenever I feel like doing it. :) The stickers are transparent anyway. I don't particularly like these flimsy mini-LP packages, but just for the collectibility and the great price, I couldn't pass them up. And they did do a nice job--the mini jackets even have custom die-cutting on the inside, and there are a lot of bonuses inside (additional photos and notes).

As much as I like the other three, the one underdog I've never warmed to is the 2nd PG album. I don't mind "D.I.Y." but the rest never did much for me.

24. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The last couple of days, I've been spinning the NYC pop band The Rooks Encore Echoes (basically a comp of their first album and two EP's) and A Wishing Well. Full disclosure: I run their web site, but only because I like what they do.

Then today, someone brought up the Firesign Theatre, and I've got it in my head that I need to hear Nick Danger. I'll probably pop that one in tonight.

25. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Come Away with Me, Norah Jones (Classic Records 200gm LP)
    Four Loudon Wainwright III albums (Fame and Wealth and I'm Alright on LP, Grown Man and Little Ship on CD)
    High Priest/Black List, Alex Chilton (Razor & Tie CD, mastered by Steve)
    Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles (German HorZu/Apple LP)
    This Year's Model and Trust, Elvis Costello (British LP pressings)
    Vauxhall and I, Morrissey (British LP pressing)
    Buffalo Springfield (CD box set)
    Mind Games, John Lennon (recent remixed CD reissue)
    Crescent, John Coltrane Quartet (Impulse! CD)
    A Love Supreme, John Coltrane (Impulse! red/black-label LP)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.