So what scary movies are you watching to lead up to Halloween this year?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Just started this week with Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. One of my favorites.

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Pan's Labyrinth
    Mysterious Island

3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Daughter Of Dracula - Jess Franco
    Shiver Of The Vampires - Jean Rollin

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein (Wolfman, Dracula & Monster) kickin back with a 40's flick.

parman and Karnak like this.
  5. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Hammer time! Hope to get to all of these before the end of the month.
    [​IMG]

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and 4 (my two favorite films in the series) and Child's Play. :)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

My wife and I make it a point to watch horror movies all through October. So far we have watched Friday the 13th, and American Werewolf In London. Tonight it will be Evil Dead 1 and 2. From there we don't know. We have so many horror movies that we just decide as we go.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Maybe Ill watch

Nightmare on elm street (1984)
    Friday the 13th (1980)
    Deadly friend (1986)
    Saw/Saw II (2004/5)

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Definitely the first version of 'The Lady In Black'(1989).

10. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Yes.

[​IMG]

11. parman

parman Music Junkie

I like the old 30's- 50's B&W scary movies. Ones with zombies or mummies are favorites. Most Karloff movies are great even ones that aren't that scary (the body snatcher). I don't like modern psychological horror or possession movies, I have way too much imagination to watch those and then go to bed:hide:

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I want to watch that, I wish they'd put it on Netflix. I've heard that it's inferior to the Kubrick movie, but I literally cannot watch the Kubrick movie - once somebody stated that the hotel was built on an old Indian burial ground I turned it off. That and Nicholson's I'm-already-crazy performance just ruined the movie for me, in comparison to the book.

Just to be clear, I did watch the Kubrick movie around the time it was released, but I can't stand to re-watch it - I've tried and it just doesn't get it! :laugh:

I re-read the book last year, this year I'm reading The Turn Of The Screw.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

Repulsion is probably the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. Granted that I generally don't seek out disturbing movies, YMMV! :laugh:

GuildX700 likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

Just finished The Others (2001) last night. Probably not the kind of movie that bears re-watching (once you know the end, it doesn't seem that it'll ever have that impact a second time) but it was extremely effective. Nicole Kidman's performance is brilliantly nutty.

Karnak likes this.
  15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I always try to mix "new" stuff (stuff I haven't seen, can obviously be "old" still) with the go-to classics.

I save some or most of the "Halloween" series until the last week or so. Same for a few other classics like "Nightmare Before Christmas", "Trick r Treat", "Great Pumpkin", and some others.

Some I've already watched:

- Tales of Halloween (2015 movie just released on Blu-ray; a "Trick r Treat" style anthology, not as good, but still a good Halloween-ish mood enhancer)

- Dolls (weird 80s horror flick I grabbed on a Scream/Shout Factory BD; it has an *awesome* opening scene where a little girl imagines her teddy bear, maliciously thrown out by her step mother, comes to live, six or seven feet tall, and mauls both parents, after which the teddy bear shrugs his shoulders)

- High Tension

- The Others

- Preservation (watched on Netflix, an not-too-awful flick about a trio of people under attack from unknown assailants while camping)

- The Invitation (watched this for a second time after getting the Blu-ray, a good suspense flick from last year)

- Dark Skies (from a few years ago, haunting/alien stuff but with good production values and a few interesting variations)

- The American Scream (documentary on "home haunters"; more interesting than it sounds)

- Creepshow (Picked up the BD super cheap on Amazon)

- The Blair Witch Project

- Chopping Mall (new BD)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

While House does have some comedy, it also has some elements of horror too.

One of the factors in Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein that makes it work is that A&C do the comedy while the monsters are played straight.

While I haven't thought about watching scary movies until I read this thread, I think I will watch the following:
    • Pet Shop Of Horrors: An anime about a pet shop that sells unusual pets. Each pet comes with a contract and you had better following the contract to the letter. Violating the terms of the contract can be most unfortunate...for the owner.
    • Dark Tales Of Japan: A collection of short horror stories.
    • The Tomie series (five movies): A horror movie series about a young woman named "Tomie" who cannot die.

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I can assure you from experience that true "grown-up scary" is a combo of the film itself and the quality of the home theater. For example, I screened the The Conjuring and the large image plus great surround in a blacked out room resulted in some stressful viewing! Clap, clap.

I have The Strangers, but haven't screened it yet. I did check out the DVD [REC] since it's not on blu-ray here and it's pretty terrific. Hope that series gets a proper release someday!

This season for me:

Non-scary
    The Fog, Halloween, Creepshow, Frankenstein (1931)

Legit scary
    The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, [REC], Sinister

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Over the last few days I've seen Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste" and a terrible "Exorcist" knockoff called "Cathy's Curse."

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Did you like it? It's on my list to see at some point.

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

"Pirate's of Caribbean" films (make-up work, special effects!)

22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I LOVED Chopping Mall when I was a kid! I may have to order the Blu Ray now!

23. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Last night, Afflicted, an impressive take on Vampire horror, 81% on rotten Tomatoes, gets my vote.
    Afflicted ยป

I advise you don't watch the trailer, too much of a spoiler.

24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have been watching the superb Hannibal this week - does that count? I am three eps into season two.

The Hud likes this.
  25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Personally, I'm not really going for 'scary' so much as I am watching stuff that puts me in the Halloween mood. Like The Great Pumpkin. Though obviously the horror films play into that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.