So what sounds then better Mono or Stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello music people

Thanks to the Beatles Mono LP reissues & Steve Hoffmann mentioning using Y Cables (the rest of you are not bothering or have dedicated Mono cartridge or Mono switching on their Amp) , I have been listening to pure Mono since 1979 (my Parents Bush valve auto changer ). As promised a solid middle & records have more punch. An absence of screechy surface noise is welcome .

I confess Mono is easier to get on with but what sounds better Mono or Stereo? Like most people Despite hearing Mono from birth to 11 I am used to stereo . I am now 47.

People with genuine Mono experience please reply

Thank You.

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Stereo is better.

acdc7369, quicksrt and Pinknik like this.
  3. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I like both.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  4. To me, stereo is way better than mono. The "problem" with stereo releases prior to 1969 is the extreme panning, which is great for a musician trying to figure out a song, but not as good for a band's "tightness" feel. But a well-made, clever, thoughtful and realistic stereo mix is the best listening experience (I mean, compared to mono).

P.S.: BTW, I'm also 47.

acdc7369 and jlc76 like this.
  5. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

It depends. Some early stereo is downright hilarious. I have a Bobby Darrin song Artificial Flowers his voice starts on the left speaker as the song progresses his voice moves to 10 o'clock then to the middle then to the right speaker. Then it goes in the opposite direction. Ultimate musical Ping-Pong. I also have some Nat King Cole mono albums from the 50's just as good as any stereo record.

6. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

GOOD stereo is great but bad stereo is often better summed to mono. Good mono is fine for a lot of music.

As big a scuzzbag as Spector was he had a point about mono.

doctor fuse likes this.
  7. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

What was his point concerning mono?

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm not trying to spoil your fun here, but despite the grammatical and spelling errors in your thread title, the thread topic is a bit undefined. In addition to the hardware modifications (Y cable, switch, etc), do you consider genuine mono to be limited to one speaker? When you ask which is better stereo or mono, how do you define "better"? Is it an emotional "better" or a technical "better"? :confused:You indicated "solid middle" and more punch. That could define several well balanced stereo recordings as well. IMO, the best way to approach the subject would be to invite discussion in forum members' preference for a specific title's mix (eg. Do you prefer I Am the Walrus in stereo or mono?)

9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Only you can decide.

Ortofun likes this.
  11. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

Both can be great ( or awful). I know I greatly prefer the Beatles and Dylan in mono. Undecided with other mono albums I have.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The better mix sounds better, whether it's mono or stereo.

I have to admit I generally prefer stereo, real stereo, if it's done right, but that didn't really start to happen until the late 1960s or early 1970s.
    Prior to that, the mono mixes are usually better.

But, again, it depends on a lot of variables -- too many to just pick one.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It isn't a contest - you don't have to choose one or the other as a staple. If your favorite album has a mono and stereo version, listen to both and make up your own mind.

tim185 likes this.
  14. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Clarity and realism is way better than muddy puke for sound.
    The reason the Beatles Mono is praised IMO is it "SOUNDS GOOD". And that has little to do with 'stereo' or mono' It is a result of the particular circumstances of the beatles recording processes. And the way the reissues were done.

So for me, the fact of stereo or mono is not nearly as important as how well each particular recording is done.

But if all things are equal, I would certainly opt for the STEREO recording.

apesfan likes this.
  15. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

Neither is better, either can be great or horrid. I went through a prolonged period of preferring mono, as typically it sounded better to me into the latter period when it was available. About the time they dropped mono they really figured out good stereo mixes. So I prefer the better variant and for most 60's rock/soul that is mono. Not always, but for Stones, Stax, Kinks, Motown and many others it is true. I really don't think Beatles stuff in stereo is bad except first few lps and it ain't that bad. Hit the mono switch.

doctor fuse and The Pinhead like this.
  16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Crap load harder to mix in mono. Much harder. So kudos to the old mixers.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Depends on the recording /mix. Later 60s pop/rock onwards generally sound better in stereo and mono mixes died out from this point. There are some fine stereo recordings of jazz/classical from the 50s when mono was the normal mode of listening. Personally I prefer stereo 95% of the time but some earlier recordings such as the first two Beatles albums, mono is clearly better.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This is difficult to answer. So many variables.

I listen on headphones. Mono on typical headphones with a typical headphone amp sounds so constrained. So trapped in the headphones. So trapped in your head. Getting the depth and layering in mono doesn't happen well with typical headphone gear. So mono on headphones isn't such a good experience. It happens better on a speaker(s) in a room.

But... there are a few high-end headphones and headphone amps that can make mono on headphones sound magical. It's special gear. Not common. And just because a headphone and/or headphone amp is expensive doesn't mean it will do it. I recently got a new used headphone amp that does it. And I'm rediscovering my few mono recordings. Finally I'm hearing the depth and the sound isn't trapped in my head or trapped in the headphones. Some of the mono mastering and mixing is better than others. Ultimately I still prefer stereo as long as the stereo is natural and not hard panned. Finally I'm able to appreciate the mono. But I don't know if many people are willing to get the type and level of headphone gear to do this. It's kinda expensive and kinda specialized within the headphone world.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Some of my mono lp's are just incredible.
    The London/Decca lp's from the 50's, which were recorded in mono only will shock you to the floor.

They don't even sound like mono. There's a soundstage, bloom and finesse that I didn't expect and gave me goosebumps.

Hubert jan and doctor fuse like this.
  20. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Change the thread title if you wish . To be honest I thought I throw a question out to the forum people and they can have their own response. I was playing Phil Spector the otter day & really enjoying it . Thanks.

21. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Having grown up in a B&W TV/mono music household, I really love to hear good stereo. If I find something used in mono, I'll still buy it, but keep looking for a good stereo copy. When you hear well-crafted music in a defined stereo image, it's great ear candy. It's exciting. But, as others have said, it's all about the mix.

22. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I don't think there is a definitive answer to this question - or if it is even a valid question. The way I see it, mono and stereo are like two sides of the same coin and to ask which sounds better is like asking which side of the coin carries more value.

ElizabethH, nm_west and BuddhaBob like this.
  23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

So which looks better then Color or B&W?

Ghostworld and BuddhaBob like this.
  24. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Hard to say with these rose colored glasses

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I dunno - would Raging Bull have been better in color? What about Schindler's List?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.