So... what's next for Rolling Stones "Deluxe Editions" CD's??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would rather have outtakes than Brussels Affair.

KinkySmallFace1991 and bluesbro like this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Seems like they're focusing on doing the"landmark"-type albums, so Tattoo You is the obvious choice from the Stones' perspective. After the ones they've done, it seems to be the one that's got the best overall reputation with fans and critics, whereas Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock n' Roll, and Emotional Rescue are more polarizing and mainly appeal to the hardcore fans only.

Not saying that people outside the hardcore fanbase are actually buying these things....but based on the Stones' track record and overall business model, I expect they'd go for the more obvious choice.

paulbright81 likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, Goats Head Soup is a big seller because of Angie.

4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I hope he did. And I hope that someone else does the mastering.
    Well, it depends. It isn't put together like a seperate album, that's true (except for the Live At Leeds University set, which works incredibly well as a live album, which is what it is), but the sheer quality of the Roundhouse material - and the "Dead Flowers" rehearsal - more than make up for it. I get much, much more listening pleasure from the Sticky Fingers bonus material than the Exile equivalents.

And I would love to see either Goat's Head Soup and Tattoo You get the deluxe treatment.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Considering that the Stones cut a ton of tracks they didn't use during the Dirty Work sessions, a Dirty Work Deluxe Edition would not beyond the scope of things and I'd be brazen to say it would almost certainly be an improvement on the original 1986 album (and I say that as a big Dirty Work fan)

A Tattoo You Deluxe would be interesting if for no other reason that they could offer up some of the pre-overdub basic tracks Chris Kimsey ended up utilizing in '81. But, I suppose as far as that goes, bring on the Black And Blue Deluxe Set!:righton:

6. Maybe a Tattoo You remix where they add back an electronic high hat on all the back beats? The horror . . .

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some of the tracks Kimsey utilized did not have vocals. They have steered clear so far from releasing instrumental backing tracks and outtakes.

I believe I recall reading an interview with him where he said he compiled a list of about 25-30 tracks as possible tracks to use for the Tattoo You project and let the Stones pick from those. It would be interesting to see the list to determine which tracks were not used on Tattoo You or the Some Girls Deluxe Edition bonus disc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Real fans already have Brussels affair

:hide:

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have official and bootleg copies.

KinkySmallFace1991 and bluesbro like this.
  10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

I don't consider Totally Stripped to be a part of the deluxe series, it's an album part of the Eagle vision series (L.A Friday, Hampton 81 etc). The only post ABKCO album that I can see would get a deluxe treatment a la EOMS, SG and SF is Tattoo You. Not only was it a landmark album, it was a polished up collection of tracks dating way back to the early seventies. From a conceptual standpoint, it makes sense to revisit Tattoo You and include studio outtakes from the same period that the original tracks were gathered from. It would be possible to include the first takes of Waiting on a friend from Jamaica 1972, Worried About You is probably in the vault (as it was played in El Mocambo in 1977) as well etc.

Apart from that, I do hope that Stones would look at Dylan and release a studio outtakes bootleg series from any number of years post ABKCO but that would be a separate beast from a deluxe edition of a previously released album.

11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

No way that´s possible.

12. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Bring on the Deluxe Goats! Yeah baby! :righton:

Sean, Dave Hoos and mbrownp1 like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I much more prefer the idea of material from the archives than a modern-day show from Havana or the mono box, which appears will have a ton of duplication of what is already in print.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Brussels Affair is comprised of songs from both shows, so there is always the chance alternative performances from Brussels could be used for bonus content on a Goats Head deluxe edition. That said, it would a real shame if a Goats Head release did not contain some alternate studio takes as bonus content.

15. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I don´t own either the Brussels Affair nor GHS, so...

paulbright81 likes this.
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I've got 'em. And they do.

sonnyrock and Exile On My Street like this.
  17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

No really...there was a super awesome thread about it!

18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Since there has been talk of a new album this fall, everything else may be on hold as far as releases go. I would expect a CD/DVD of the Cuba show at some point since they are doing it in movie theaters.

However, it would look like Goat's Head Soup or Tattoo You would be next, but I'd much rather see a live Mick Taylor era box set.

Have they stopped releasing "From The Vault" shows?

19. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Agreed, when I first saw the mono box I got that stomach flip of excitement as my Dylan and Beatles mono boxes are prized possessions. However, I don't feel the Stones sixties catalogue holds up to the same scrutiny.

I'm a mostly 1968 onwards guy I'm afraid.

I would be way more excited about either a GHS box or more so the rumoured 1972 tour release.

John Grimes likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No. The rumors over on IORR say a possible Paris 1976 release for next year. There was also talk of a San Jose 1999 release as well.

21. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Hopefully the 1972 rumours were not unfounded

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Why add live sets which the hard core fans already have? I'd rather have the London set from September 9, 1973...we've not gotten the full show from that, If I recall correctly. It's Only Rock and Roll was at first developed as a half-live, half-studio production with one side of the album featuring live performances from the Stones' 1973 European tour while the other side was to be composed of newly recorded cover versions of the band's favorite R&B songs.

Sean and John Fell like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe the KBFH recorded shows also contained some soundboard tracks from Wembley as well. They could release that show. They also have the outtake Criss Cross Mind/Man among others.

Sean, Dave Hoos and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This...and the undubbed tracks for Tops and Waiting On A Friend

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They might save those for a Tattoo You Deluxe Edition. The versions of Tops from the sessions that I have heard don't have vocals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.