Social Distortion Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, Jan 21, 2017.

1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:hide: I was kidding and I know about the coloured vinyl reissue. I agree that the Restless CD's sound fine, I have concentrated on buying CDs since 1985. Thanks for starting this thread.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed it myself. Whatever dictates that reasoning, so be it. But, I'd have never started a thread if not for the fact that every single SD thread was closed. :shrug:

3. Clanceman

Sorry man, I missed that. :tiphat:

After I read & responded, I thought I might have misread with the $10k cart suggestion. Lol. Though ya never know around here.

I've been here long enough that I should've remembered "your" cd tendency. You, Curveboy...many. I like both formats fine. And, you're right, should've just stayed w the original cd & pursued the Restless vinyl if I wanted the LP so bad. The guy at my local indie said it was great. :shake:

eelkiller likes this.
  4. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

One of my all time favorite bands, have the entire discography on cd and building it on vinyl now. Bought the vinyl box set with mike ness auto (which btw is on sale minus the auto on popmarket) and just got white light white head white trash yeaterday .
    The prices on some of th colored re releases and originals are insane...but not slayer lever insane prices at least

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Clanceman

Thanks to the response on this thread.

While we're here, what are your top 3 favorite Social Distortion records?

Mine (maybe reflects my old Ness?)

1. Mommy's Little Monster - I rejected a lot of punk in HS. There had to be a metal component or something. Not saying I haven't gone back & appreciated differently. Suicidal, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth...err thrash, would bridge the gap for me when I sort of rejected Black Flag, TSOL, Circle Jerks, etc (opinion has changed since.) All of that said - it was the Plasmatics a few years earlier & then this record that appealed to me when many others didn't. I grew up in OC, & embraced this at once.

2. Prison Bound

3. Self Titled -

Tbh, the ticket to see them in March has reignited my enthusiasm & Im digging the whole catalog.

Im also a bit dissapointed that I haven't given SD the listening time they deserved the last 20 yrs. I've bought their music, listened, but there's only so much time. They will get more of it now & moving forward.

Many influences, but as much of a Stones fanatic I am.....I'll be damned if I don't hear my favorite band of all time in so much of these later records. How'd I glance over that? :doh:

6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I saw them live at 3 or 4 shows opening for Sonic Youth and Neil Young and they were quite good.

Clanceman likes this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

My favourites
    1. S/T
    2. Prison Bound
    3. Somewhere Between...
    I guess I like the more "commercial side" of SD. :)

Clanceman likes this.
  8. Clanceman

I like your #3 a lot!!! It would easily be in my top 3 if not for the fact that imo - "Mommy's Little Monster" may be the best punk record ever. Imo, imo, imo lol

9. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

These are the indispensable ones for me:

S/T
    Heaven and Hell
    White Trash
    SexLove&RnR

500Homeruns and Clanceman like this.
  10. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

White Trash
    s/t
    Prison Pound

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Clanceman

Original vinyl of Heaven & Hell is so damn nice!

jeff kleinberg and punkmusick like this.
  12. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

My three favorite albums from Ness are:

1. Cheating at Solitaire
    2. self titled
    3. Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

Neonbeam and Clanceman like this.
  13. Clanceman

:righton:

14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have no record of them unfortunately. I have noticed that Bruce Springsteen is a fan.

budwhite likes this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

great comment but very inconsistent. I liked the first one. it had heart. the second one you seemed distracted. by the third comment you were obviously just going through the motions.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

one of my faves back in high school. I loved "somewhere", and saw them in 1993 open up for neil young in san Francisco. I last saw them in '07 in flagstaff, Arizona. I have a lot of original presses of their early albums, including the first 2 ness solo albums.

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Pardon me if I have you mixed up with someone else, but I believe you're an alt/country fan. If you are(hell, even if you're not) check out Mike Ness's solo album Cheating at Solitaire. Here's a little taste:

18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I won't reiterate what I've mentioned in the older thread about seeing them a few times through the years, etc. Love the first 4 studio albums (Prison Bound being my favorite) and the Live At The Roxy album. I really think Dennis Danell's passing took a lot of wind out of the band and their last 3 albums haven't been nearly as good as their 80's and 90's output.

One thing I will back up that was posted earlier in this thread that it is true Ness can be a bit detached onstage depending on the show as well as they always play a sub-90 minute x 15-18 song set. No Springsteen-esque 4 hour marathons with these guys.

Bananas&blow, Clanceman and budwhite like this.
  19. Clanceman

What did you think? I only bought Prison Bound (colored) as a reissue. I like the original cd more, tbh. But, maybe I need to spin it again.

I have original vinyl now for all....except Prison Bound. Glad to have hunted down a "Mommy's Little Monster" for a reasonable price.

20. Clanceman

Thoughts ? - woops, looks like there's another page. Maybe you guys have left reviews already?

21. Clanceman

"When The Angels Sing" should've been a rock radio hit played in constant rotation.

Love the 1st 3 on side two. 1-2-3 punch of: Angels, Rules, Thorns

Cyberhog9 and budwhite like this.
  22. Clanceman

You know...this gets funnier each time I read it.

23. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Thanks for the thread Clanceman! Found a Discogs seller with original CDs of the first five albums and they arrived yesterday.
    Got into 'em back in the day when the S/T album came out, & then went back & grabbed MLM. How did I miss Prison Bound all these years?! Great album (especially the 2nd half) on first listen!
    Looking forward to SBHaH & WLWHWT when time allows. Then some Ness stuff will have to be acquired along with the later SD stuff.

FWIW, I highly recommend the episode of "Ernie Ball:The Pursuit of Tone" featuring Mike Ness. It was on DirecTV's Audience channel a week or two ago (still available on demand). Really a MUST SEE for any Ness fans. Just oozes analog, vintage gear, SoCal, etc. It can also be viewed here, albeit in snippets out of order (strong language warning):

Ness - YouTube

tfunk182, Clanceman and 500Homeruns like this.
  24. Clanceman

:tiphat:

Love the original CDs - especially the one you highlight, Prison Bound.

This is the only album (of those 1st 5) that I don't have on original vinyl.
    I bought the repress (tbh..meh) & almost bought the original vinyl.

But, I played the original cd before I pulled the trigger...then put the gun down. I'm set with the cd.

Glad you're enjoying. Looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks. :righton:

25. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

the best way to listen to prison bound is on cassette in a 68 ford pickup on the way to visit your dad in jail